< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lee Precision sizing die set  (Read 2213 times)

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
Lee Precision sizing die set
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:55:45 PM »
A while back, I got a Lee six cavity mold for .452" tumble lube bullets. Also got a .452" sizing die set with the Alox lube for the tumble lube bullets.

Some small pieces of lead got caught in my mold and caused some bullets to be oversize. Which turned out fortunate as when pushed through the sizing die....came out .4536" in diameter (at the max point, they never became round in diameter???).

Fixed the mold problem. Had read about Lee molds, so not really suprized by the usually results.

However the sizing die is a bit of a let down. How hard is it to make a round hole that slugs lead to a certain diameter?  Sent a complaint to Lee via their warranty site the other day and got a reply today indicating I should return the die with "six sized bullets and six unsized bullets and we will inspect and make sure the die will size to .452 +/- .0005" ". I am a machinist and don't understand how they intend to make an oversize hole make smaller bullets (yea, a touch of sarcasim).

Anyone else have experience with Lee sizing dies? Is this performance typical of Lee sizing dies?

I have a Lee Classic Cast BreechLock Press, several Lee carbide reloading dies sets and some other tooling that all seem to function properly. Their 20lb production pot and mold seem to function OK (although the bullets are not the best).  At least the ammo is sized correctly and functions OK with jacketed production bullets. Otherwise puts a dent in my bullet production.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Lee Precision sizing die set
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »
I have a few Lee sizing dies and haven't had any problems with them.  I would guess it's just a fluke.  As you said they're pretty simple and not hard to make - heck, I made my own Lee-style sizing die when I needed a sizer for my .38-55.

One thing that can affect sizing is the type of alloy.  I know some lead alloys can spring back more than others after sizing.  Regardless of spring back they should be round, though.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:06:42 PM »
My Lee push-through-bottom .40s&w sizing die works just fine.

The only way I can see it not coming out correct would be:

a) die is just bad (mistakes happen)

b) if the bullet is some how getting kinked / catty cornered as you push it through so that the bullet 'leans' if ya place it base down on a flat surface.

c) there are some alloys that are a bit more elastic than others

d) i assume your die aint got a hairline crack ?
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »
I have a number of bore gage tools, unfortunately nothing that goes down to .452".  I am sure different alloy could have different results (and Lee seems to agree with that point).

Got an email today explaining how Lee can't make their own bullets due to OSHA rules so they have customers send bullets.  They offered to replace the die with a picture showing the die rendered useless...guess it is hammer time.

No crack in the die but it does have a fairly rough ID compared to the nice OD surface of they typical die work. Noticed the die was even strarting to "lead up" even though the bullets were lubed with the supplied Alox.

I could machine my own die...but would be more costly than the $15 Lee kit (maybe).

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:20:53 PM »
Mine's got a rough ID as well.  I assume this is to help align the bullet as it's being pushed through.

If you got a pair of calipers (which you should anyway!!!!) use them to measure the inside diameter :D

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 07:21:38 PM »
It is a tapered bore. Calipers don't do well in bores, especially tapered and only read to .0005" (kinda sorta). The .0005" is not an exact reading, just a rounded reading. Lee offered to replace the die if I sent a picture of the die "rendered useless" so I hammered the threads and sent a picture.  Could go the send die and bullet route if that doesn't work out.
Dug through my machinist toolbox and found a bore gage set that will measure the .452" to .0001" but had already smashed the die.
Doubt the rough surface has anything to do with anything except a hastily bored hole. The balance of the die is a drill which is no big deal. I would have expected a honed bore...but guess the taper would be an issue...and explains the potential for defective dies.
Anyway...try it again when the new die shows up.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:30:51 PM by SS_N_NE »

Offline noylj

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 11:51:41 PM »
1) Did you slug your barrel and verify that your bullets are AT LEAST 0.001" larger than groove diameter?
2) I found in the '70s that shooting as-cast bullets was more accurate than sizing bullets. For me, you are sweating a non-issue and should be trying some as-cast and lightly tumble lubed bullets.
3) They will send you new sizing die, I am sure.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:14 AM »
 I have seen more out of round lee products than all of the others combined, there mold are well known for being out of round, I tried a lee mold, I sent it back 3 times before I got my money back,, but no matter what the bullet shape, after it is pushed thru a die, it should be close to round,

I will not use anything lee,  there quality control is the worst of any business I have ever seen, and I have over 40 bullet molds
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
Guess I failed to follow up on this. Lee replaced the die after I sent a picture of the die destroyed (I hammered the threads flat). The new die makes .452" diameter lead bullets within a couple .0001".  Pretty happy the sizing is that close...just cause it works. After seeing the new sizing die, it was obvious they cut the taper too deep and lost the sizing part of the die. The new die has a small straight bore that does the final size.

I have a six cavity mold for .452 and got some wild bullet sizes...close inspection shows small specs of lead that got between the halves and cause oversize issues. Overall, the mold makes decent bullets.

1)Yes, slugged the barrel.
2)As cast bullets are not within .001"...hence the sizing.
3)They did send a new die without too much of a fight.

I am a machinist, and in all honesty, Lee has exceptional die finish most of the time. The cost is also about the most reasonable you might expect.  For the most part function of all Lee tools have been good. I did get a 20# lead pot with a broken lift knob (spot weld stud broken)...just stuck in a screw and a homemade handle...better than Lee and less trouble than installing a replacement part.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 07:28:08 PM »
Lee products are on the cheaper build side, yes - but from those that I've talked to that have dealt with the company - they say the customer service is top notch.

I've got some Lee dies and really don't have any complaints.  Also have a hand me down little $30 press from them that I like.  The perfect powder measure is a bit disconcerting (all plastic) but seems to work as advertised.  The hand primer is okay... but has a design flaw in how the cover tray attaches (as well as the fact that it takes different shell holders than the presses). 

Glad to see that ya got a fixed sizing die that's cooperating.  And the majority of casting failures for me is indeed not getting the mold closed correctly due to my own fault or not noticing some cold lead between the mold meeting faces.  The modified lee mold turned into hollow point addresses some of these issues concerning positive engagement of the two halves.