< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Watch 20 20 next Friday  (Read 2149 times)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Watch 20 20 next Friday
« on: January 24, 2014, 10:11:43 PM »
When changing channels tonite, I saw a preview for next weeks episode about Kids n Guns. Should be interesting.
Tune in Friday, Jan 31 at 9 pm on ABC.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
Re: Watch 20 20 next Friday
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 10:14:10 PM »
Start writing now so we can flood them with actual truth.

Sawyer is nothing but a obamaslut.

Just got done bragging about how Vargas is an alcoholic. A great bunch of hypocrites there!

Hope I can say that.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
You do realize David Muir is the illegitimate son of Ted Koppel and Diane Sawyer.....  or at least he looks like it....

Offline aceflyer

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 02:11:39 PM »

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »
Tonight is the night. ABC at 9:00.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »
Tonight is the night. ABC at 9:00.

Be prepared to puke.  I saw the preview for it last night. 

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »
I'd watch it - but I don't watch TV these days - and I don't have any desire to watch stupidity for the sake of getting upset :D
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »
watched the first 10 min, couldn't stand it, so turned on Braveheart instead
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Gumby

• Powder Benefactor
  • Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 12:46:12 AM »
This show wasn't the "guns kill children" attack on gun ownership that we anticipated.  Instead, it was a review of guns and YOUNGsters:  The curiosity of kids too young to fully appreciate deadly consequences and how that will likely not be overcome by firearm familiarity and parental instruction.

I've experienced that dangerous and naive mix of knowledge and curiosity first hand in our family.  But we also know kids approaching age 10 or so may become remarkably mature with arms given proper guidance, and the show fully recognized that fact as well.

Sure, ABC put the spotlight on a foolish mother who was "storing" her loaded revolver lying on the dining table.  But I appreciated that ABC also demonstrated how a handgun may be safely stored and quickly made ready for home defense through use of a small quick-access safe, along with storage of the rest of the armory in a safe or equivalent.  That's just sound advice and the best PSA I've seen in a long time.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »
This show wasn't the "guns kill children" attack on gun ownership that we anticipated.  Instead, it was a review of guns and YOUNGsters:  The curiosity of kids too young to fully appreciate deadly consequences and how that will likely not be overcome by firearm familiarity and parental instruction.

I've experienced that dangerous and naive mix of knowledge and curiosity first hand in our family.  But we also know kids approaching age 10 or so may become remarkably mature with arms given proper guidance, and the show fully recognized that fact as well.

Sure, ABC put the spotlight on a foolish mother who was "storing" her loaded revolver lying on the dining table.  But I appreciated that ABC also demonstrated how a handgun may be safely stored and quickly made ready for home defense through use of a small quick-access safe, along with storage of the rest of the armory in a safe or equivalent.  That's just sound advice and the best PSA I've seen in a long time.

Thanks for the review.  I originally saw the preview for it, and thought, oh boy, here we go.  I ended up recording it, then was upstairs getting dinner, i had that same sinking feeling, then had heard something to lead me to believe it might not be exactly what i think it going to be.

I woke up this morning and deleted my recording.  After reading your review, i wish I had at least taken a closer look.

Thanks again.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 09:01:27 AM »
I pretty much had the same feelings as Gumby. Not the full anti that I was expecting.

Age of the kids, as expected, the older kids did better but not perfect.

Some of the parents made me question their common sense.

Bottom line, keep your stuff secured and an eye on the kids.

Ronald Reagan

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 09:32:19 AM »
This was Tweeted today by TheFreePatriot

http://freepatriot.org/2014/02/01/abc-reports-false-numbers-children-shootings-lobby-gun-control/

ABC Reports False Numbers on Children Shootings to Lobby for More Gun Control

In a recent on air report, ABC made certain assertions as to the amount of children who are shot accidentally while playing with guns.  They claim that one child is taken to the hospital every hour, a victim of an accidental shooting while playing with guns.

Diane Sawyer: “Every hour, a child is rushed to an emergency room because of gunshots.”

David Muir: “453 of those children die at the hospital.”

Those are truly alarming numbers.  Fortunately, they carry about the same weight as a Barack Obama promise or a Jay Carney press conference.  These numbers were used to try to convey the point that people with children should not be allowed to have guns or at the very least, the gun and the ammunition should be stored in different rooms, making the likelihood that you can defend yourself in a break in, highly improbable.

But let us look at the real numbers and see what they tell us.  The latest year for which statistics are found is 2010.  In 2010, just 36 children ages 10 or under were shot and killed in accidental shootings, out of 41 million children.  And 24 of those were not shot by other children, but by adults with criminal records.

So how did Diane Sawyer cook the books?  Simple, she included children of all ages and 56% of those shootings involved gangs and drugs.  Propaganda just isn’t what it used to be

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »
Bottom line, keep your stuff secured and an eye on the kids.

Teach kids about firearms.

Magic and mystery lessoned. Safety handling instilled.  Leave it alone / get an adult. All around win.

See also:

http://eddieeagle.nra.org/
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 04:10:13 PM »
Teach kids about firearms.

Magic and mystery lessoned. Safety handling instilled.  Leave it alone / get an adult. All around win.

See also:

http://eddieeagle.nra.org/

Its not quite that simplistic, although, there really is no one size fits all answer.

Hands on teaching ( removing the mystery ) is surly PART of the answer, but, safely storing firearms is also a PART of the answer, as is teaching gun safety

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »
The NSSF also has a nice similar program. 
http://www.nssf.org/safety/video/

I have a copy of the videos and some of the printouts if anyone want to share them with your kids. I like the NSSF series as they are broke up into age groups.
I have the NRA video, also.

Also  http://projectchildsafe.org/take-the-pledge is worth checking out.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member

Offline Gumby

• Powder Benefactor
  • Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 12:47:35 AM »
Good follow-up, gentlemen, on statistics issues!... and no surprise the press sensationalizes the stats whenever possible.  It was refreshing, though, to see a show that didn't attack gun ownership per se and didn't call for new laws.

Using Chris C's Blaze link to the CDC data for 2010, for kids 14 and under, 62 died that year in "unintentional" discharge events and another 81 deaths were suicides.  The Blaze link can also lead you to Hospitalizations Due to Firearm Injuries in Children and Adolescents (January, 2014) from the Official Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics.  A quote from the report that's appropriate to the ABC story and deals with calendar year 2009: 

In younger children, hospitalizations due to unintentional (firearm) injuries were the most common. For example, in children <10 years of age, 75.4% of the 378 hospitalizations were due to unintentional injuries.

So recent stats point to less than 430 annual deaths, suicides and injuries due to firearm accidents and suicides for the kids age 10 and below.  That's far less than the "20 per day" figure ABC quoted, but still heartbreaking for those families involved. (The entire Pediatrics report is well worth reading... lots of demographic eye openers).

I so very much appreciate the safety mentality of the NFOA membership.  I learn much from you all.  8)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
There is an old saying  "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics".
I don't remember who it was attributed to :(

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 04:13:12 PM »
I so very much appreciate the safety mentality of the NFOA membership.  I learn much from you all. 

Any gun enthusiast or gun enthusiast forum that doesn't preach safety is one to be weary of.

NFOA has been astounding at insisting on folks being safe and such.  Agreed - so much <3 for y'all ... and I never expected the level of safety consciousness to be so high at such a place.

I think something that perhaps helps for the safety consciousness and other such things - NFOA is a political body.  Not a place for folks to shoot their mouth off or from the hip etc.  The forums have generally reflected this as well.

Lest we create a GuNnZzZ forum :puke: