< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Next IDPA Nebraska Indoor Match February 1st  (Read 8250 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: Next IDPA Nebraska Indoor Match February 1st
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 02:22:35 PM »
Is it legal for me to remove the active retention from a holster? I get about the same draw times either way, just curious.

8.5.1.13. All retention devices on the holster must be used.
8.5.1.14. Retention devices may be permanently removed or permanently disabled, but not temporarily disabled for a match.

:)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 05:36:42 PM »
I will be there. First time shooting IDPA, should be interesting... We'll see if I can keep my feet in place while reloading.  ???

I can't.  :)  I wanna move while drawing too but haven't done that yet. 

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
I can't.  :)  I wanna move while drawing too but haven't done that yet. 

As long as this time, you reload from your BELT instead of taking the half-empty magazine from your vest pocket, I'm thinking everything else work out.  :)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:06 PM »
As long as this time, you reload from your BELT instead of taking the half-empty magazine from your vest pocket, I'm thinking everything else work out.  :)

Task overload.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »
Shot the match this morning.  Good times and good people, despite the fact that a lot of them were IDPA shooters.   :laugh:  KIDDING

It is always good to go shoot under a little pressure.  If you haven't done any action shooting (IDPA or USPSA), you SHOULD. You may think standing stationary and shooting is all you need to be proficient with a handgun, but add movement (none today, but there will be!), shooting strong or weak hand only, and the (self imposed) pressure of being on the clock will make you realize how much work your pistol skills require.  Now I am NOT saying these matches will make you an operator, but you will learn a LOT about yourself, your equipment and how well the two work together.

One shooter told me today that they have never shot strong or weak hand only, which was part of one stage today.  He learned a whole lot about what he needs to work on.  Not busting his chops, because these matches are always revealing my deficiencies to me.

Ron and Cliff did a great job of making sure the match was safe and fun.  I will definitely be back.

ARE THE SCORES POSTED YET?!   ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 02:54:47 PM »
I had an altogether miserable showing. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »
I had an altogether miserable showing. 

You weren't the only one!  (Wasn't your problem the fact that you were shooting a CZ, though?   ;D  )

I had great stage times----too bad my extremely poor accuracy today just about doubled my time on each stage.  :/

Ron managed to design stages that pretty much perfectly required all the skills I'm weakest at, and allowed none of the match skills I'm best at.

[sigh] 

But hey, as long as on the video I don't tell people what the HITS were like, it should make me look REALLY GOOD!

Ah well, tomorrow is USPSA, so I'll have to a chance to either make up for it, or, you know, keep the trend going.  Hopefully it'll be the former.  I'm thinking that perhaps "having trigger control" might make a difference.

Hey Ron, are the scores up yet?   :P

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2014, 03:28:58 PM »
Yeahhhh I needed to exercise a lot more trigger control myself. I had far too many shots on the perforation that barely counted... My excuse was I'm using a gun with a different trigger spring and sights than I'm used to (THAT TOTALLY WAS ALL OF THE PROBLEM, RIGHT?).

I think, overall, I did pretty okay. Wish I didn't get 5.5 seconds of time added on the match due to penalties though (down 1 on "free style" target, down 5 on the "strong hand only" target, down 5 on a missed headshot on the 2nd stage)...

I have a sneaking suspicion that Alex G. won the match, at least in SSP division... Although I didn't see Sean M. or Tom E. shoot before I left... They could also have pulled out some very nice scores too as Sean tends to be very accurate and Tom tends to be blazing fast.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2014, 03:37:01 PM »
Yeahhhh I needed to exercise a lot more trigger control myself. I had far too many shots on the perforation that barely counted... My excuse was I'm using a gun with a different trigger spring and sights than I'm used to (THAT TOTALLY WAS ALL OF THE PROBLEM, RIGHT?).
Right, right, because using your actual carry gun should be an excuse for poor shooting.

:P

I think, overall, I did pretty okay. Wish I didn't get 5.5 seconds of time added on the match due to penalties though (down 1 on "free style" target, down 5 on the "strong hand only" target, down 5 on a missed headshot on the 2nd stage)...
Humph.  I had considerably more than that.  And the non-threat target hit REALLY topped it all off.

Dang it, those hostages should know to DUCK by now!

I have a sneaking suspicion that Alex G. won the match, at least in SSP division... Although I didn't see Sean M. or Tom E. shoot before I left... They could also have pulled out some very nice scores too as Sean tends to be very accurate and Tom tends to be blazing fast.
Tom and Sean both had issues with the "all headshots" stage.  From generally watching, I'm pretty sure that Alex took the match.  For which we'll "congratulate" him tomorrow with a hammer, before the USPSA match.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2014, 04:03:47 PM »
Thanks for coming out guys.  It is fun for us putting it on seeing the numbers increase each time.  I learned a lot by watching many of you "gamers" (if you want to use that tacky word i.e. USPSA folks).   :D Today I threw caution to the wind and shot purely for time.  My problem was shooting a Gold Cup I just had rebuilt at C&S and not shooting it prior to the match (one of my pet peeves I see others do).  Alas, I got what I kind of expected.  I am pretty sure Lorimor owned me today in the 1911 side match even with his smoking, choking reloads.  The after action conversation at lunch was interesting for me ...... putting all the nuts and bolts together if one wants to really be competitive.  In conclusion, pretty sure Alex won it and jthapkido doesn't have a Rob Pincus poster secretly hanging in his closet.   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:06:17 PM by bullit »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »
Thanks for coming out guys.  It is fun for us putting it on seeing the numbers increase each time.  I learned a lot by watching many of you "gamers" (if you want to use that tacky word i.e. USPSA folks).   :D Today I threw caution to the wind and shot purely for time.  My problem was shooting a Gold Cup I just had rebuilt at C&S and not shooting it prior to the match (one of my pet peeves I see others do).  Alas, I got what I kind of expected.  I am pretty sure Lorimor owned me today in the 1911 side match even with his smoking, choking reloads.  The after action conversation at lunch was interesting for me ...... putting all the nuts and bolts together if one wants to really be competitive.  In conclusion, pretty sure Alex won it and jthapkido doesn't have a Rob Pincus poster secretly hanging in his closet.   

Nice meeting you (I was the one sitting to Ron's left at brunch) and thanks for the work you do.

Now...are the scores posted yet?  ;D

Fly

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2014, 04:13:48 PM »
Now...are the scores posted yet? 

Fly

Take it up with management....I'm just a grunt and can't add....

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »

Choking, smoking reloads?  I'll have you know I was running some of my finely crafted EPA approved plated bullet specials today.  No cast bullet loads today as I thought we might be shooting in subdued lighting. 

Also, it was good to see my stumblebum reloading help managed to turn out a quality product for a change.  That poor guy isn't employable elsewhere so I keep him on out of pity. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »

Take it up with management....I'm just a grunt and can't add....

Come on! Don't be self deprecating.  You were a grunt with a timer. 

Fly

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »
This match must have ran extra long, because no one showed up to the monthly get together in Gretna that we moved to a brunch to accommodate the IDPA shooters......
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2014, 05:52:06 PM »
This match must have ran extra long, because no one showed up to the monthly get together in Gretna that we moved to a brunch to accommodate the IDPA shooters......

Yes it did.  GSD hung around as long as he could and left well before the match every ended. 

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »
You weren't the only one!  (Wasn't your problem the fact that you were shooting a CZ, though?   ;D  )

:laugh:

At first I chalked up my gun not going bang to harder than normal primers + a lightened mainspring on my competition gun, but when I switched out to my carry gun that's all factory and had the same result I was really scratching my head.  What's weird is I know I've used those same primers before in my carry gun with no problems, so now I'm wondering if I somehow had a batch of bad ones mixed in.  And of course the equipment problems got into my head so even when it worked I didn't shoot worth a darn.

Oh well, it was still fun.  There's always next time.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2014, 06:24:14 PM »
:laugh:

At first I chalked up my gun not going bang to harder than normal primers + a lightened mainspring on my competition gun, but when I switched out to my carry gun that's all factory and had the same result I was really scratching my head.  What's weird is I know I've used those same primers before in my carry gun with no problems, so now I'm wondering if I somehow had a batch of bad ones mixed in.  And of course the equipment problems got into my head so even when it worked I didn't shoot worth a darn.

Oh well, it was still fun.  There's always next time.

Primers fully seated?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2014, 07:16:38 PM »

Offline mike_p

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »
Today was only my 2nd IDPA match, and I'm still happy as long as I don't have ND or accidently shoot myself :o. OK I've got slightly higher goals, but not much. It was a fun time.