< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Next IDPA Nebraska Indoor Match February 1st  (Read 8249 times)

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
Next IDPA Nebraska Indoor Match February 1st
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:24 PM »
The next IDPA Nebraska Indoor Match will be Saturday, February 1, 2014 at Thunder Alley Indoor Shooting Range, Lincoln, NE; 8:00am-11:00am (see registration info below).

Two stages. Minimum 12-18 rounds per stage. Can't go wrong with bringing a box of 50 rounds.  ;D  Self defense scenarios and standard exercises are the basis for all IDPA Matches, but the layout, Course of Fire (CoF) and exercise details can differ greatly from match to match.

$10 (Thunder Alley non-members)/$5 (Thunder Alley members). Registration starts at 7:15am; "walk through" briefing at 7:45am; match starts at 8:00am.

There is a Junior Division (ages 12-17).

Results of prior matches can be viewed at: http://idpanebraska.com/match-infolocationsresults.html

IDPA Rules: http://www.idpa.com/compete/rules

For more information on IDPA Nebraska matches: info@idpanebraska.com

IDPA Nebraska
http://idpanebraska.com/
https://www.facebook.com/idpanebraska?ref=notif&notif_t=page_new_likes
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:17:27 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: Next IDPA Nebraska Indoor Match February 1st
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:03:25 AM »
So who is going this time?  I think I may have talked some of the USPSA shooters from up here at ENGC to come down and shoot it---so the IDPA guys better all show up because we can't let any of those USPSA gamers win!

:)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:56:55 AM »
I would really like to go, but I may have company this weekend.  Whether they show up on Saturday or Sunday determines whether I get to go to the IDPA or USPSA match.

If I start shooting IDPA regularly I'm going to need to get a second holster since my USPSA one has the dropped/offset attachment and I don't want to switch it out every time.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:01:53 AM »
I plan to be there.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »
because we can't let any of those USPSA gamers win!

"Bring it on !!!!" (using my best high school blonde haired valley girl voice impression)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:55:40 AM »
I would really like to go, but I may have company this weekend.  Whether they show up on Saturday or Sunday determines whether I get to go to the IDPA or USPSA match.
Bring them along.  :)  We can find ear and eye protection for them.

If I start shooting IDPA regularly I'm going to need to get a second holster since my USPSA one has the dropped/offset attachment and I don't want to switch it out every time.

Understandable.

Blade-Tech has a great combo pack for people who want to start in IDPA.   More importantly, they work well for people who have a USPSA competition rig---but 1) don't want to switch out their DOH holster, and 2) realize that their competition mag pouches aren't legal in IDPA.

One holster (suitable for IDPA), one double-mag pouch, and a training barrel because you should dryfire practice at home.    Best prices I've seen for these are on Optics Planet.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/blade-tech-revolution-combo-pack.html

That being said, if your mag pouches are already fine, just getting the Revolution holster from OpticsPlanet is only about $25.  Uncle Mikes work okay also, but I personally think that Blade-Tech's holsters are higher quality, and still don't cost much.  Comp-Tac makes really good holsters too, but the price starts going up at that point... 

We all need to get some time in shooting IDPA stages---the classifier is coming up in March!

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »
Understandable.

Blade-Tech has a great combo pack for people who want to start in IDPA.   More importantly, they work well for people who have a USPSA competition rig---but 1) don't want to switch out their DOH holster, and 2) realize that their competition mag pouches aren't legal in IDPA.

BUUUUT...Isn't IDPA about "Defensive Pistol"?  Shouldn't you be shooting what you carry?  I know, I know.  It is a competition.  Just pointing out the dichotomy.  I don't have any "competition" gear for IDPA with the exception of my double mag pouch (I only CC with a single mag pouch).  For holster I just use what I carry. 

Which leads me into another beef I have.  I carry appendix IWB, so why would that not be allowed in IDPA as long as it is "concealed"?

Fly

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
Which leads me into another beef I have.  I carry appendix IWB, so why would that not be allowed in IDPA as long as it is "concealed"?

Only if it matches THEIR concept of concealed.  And, you know, "realistic."

(Posted by someone who uses their carry gun for IDPA, but can't use his actual carry rig, so instead uses a belt holster and shoot-me-first vest since if I have to buy more gear that I won't actually use for carry, I might as well use the equipment that'll give me the most advantage in the game.  And yes, I'd rather be using my carry gear.)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 12:35:32 PM »
I carry appendix IWB, so why would that not be allowed in IDPA as long as it is "concealed"?

Because being the Safety Officers, Aldo or I may give you a hug and we don't want to get the "wrong impression" from you .....

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 12:37:42 PM »
I'm going to have to pick up that Revolution holster.  That's a good deal.  I'm pretty sure my existing blade tech mag pouches are ok.

I have thought about using my carry holster just to get more practice with it, though.

For dry firing I really need to just pony up and buy John's LASR system one of these days.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »

Because being the Safety Officers, Aldo or I may give you a hug and we don't want to get the "wrong impression" from you .....

Creepy.....

:D

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 01:13:50 PM »

I plan to be there.

Fly

I plan to will not be there.  :laugh:

Fly

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 02:47:04 PM »
I have thought about using my carry holster just to get more practice with it, though.

I'll note that in my case, while I'm mildly annoyed that I can't use my carry rig in IDPA it doesn't bother me THAT much (though I enjoy making fun of IDPA for that reason)---because I already practice draws a'plenty with my carry holster, and and it would only get used at most once per stage in IDPA.  In other words, not much.

And since I don't consider ANY of the shooting sports "self-defense practice," it isn't a big deal to me.  (I'll think about changing my mind when a viable stage procedure is "run away screaming for help" without requiring any sort of shooting.)  Shooting sports, to me, involve tests of shooting skills---of which the draw is only one of many.

My concealed draw is ok at the moment.  It is true that my draw is faster with my carry rig than it is with an OWB holster under a vest---but I can live with that.  :)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 09:05:19 PM »
Reviewing the official IDPA rule book, I discovered that while handheld lights are allowed, they cannot be attached to the body with a lanyard, ring, etc.   Another dumb rule IMHO. 

Naturally gun mounted lights aren't allowed at all. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »
Reviewing the official IDPA rule book, I discovered that while handheld lights are allowed, they cannot be attached to the body with a lanyard, ring, etc.   Another dumb rule IMHO. 

Naturally gun mounted lights aren't allowed at all. 

Yep.  All the advances in science and technology, plus the intelligent changes we've made to existing tools to make them more effective----you can't use them.

I mean, seriously----you CAN'T use a lanyard on a flashlight, given a scenario in which you KNOW you are going to 1) need a flashlight, and 2) have to shoot AND reload? 

Yep, realistic.   ???

...so as long as you don't expect "realistic self-defense training" and instead think "fun shooting skills game" then it'll be okay.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 06:53:14 AM »

...so as long as you don't expect "realistic self-defense training" and instead think "fun shooting skills game" then it'll be okay.

I tend to think along the lines of "equipment proving ground."  I like "O" rings on my lights.  If I should, for instance, start a stage with the light in my weak hand, the ring will be on my finger.  But if the stage requires me to deftly pluck the light off a tabletop, then the ring will not be used.

More "equipment race" stuff I guess.  Oh well. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »
Just out of curiosity as well as from having designed CoFs that have required the use of a tactical light: ...I'll go first with my answers in (), be they in the minority or majority of others' responses...

1. Of folks who carry a tactical light daily (yes, I do), how many actually have a lanyard on it (no, I don't)?... and where do you normally carry it when NOT in a situation where you feel you need to have it ready in hand (for me, either shirt pocket, pants pocket meant for the light, or jacket pocket meant for the light)?

2. Of folks who carry a tactical light daily (yes, I do) and your situational awareness suddenly has you take out your tactical light to be in a ready position for either use as a light or even as a skull punch-out tool, do you have it in your support hand ready to do either of the above with or without a lanyard (me, without since I don't use a lanyard) or do you take the time (which I would find time-consuming to do) to put the lanyard on either my support hand or around my neck in a "sudden" situation?

3. Of folks who carry a tactical light daily (yes, I do), how many of you "practice" removing it  and holding/using it during dry fire and/or range fire (woops, I don't as much as I should)?

I can't speak for why IDPA has the rule as it does regarding lanyards as well as starting a stage with it in your support hand, but I can take a stab at it: 1) in our CoFs in which I have designed them for the use of a tactical light (which we have done in the past last year, but, hint hint, we will be doing in the near future in this current season), the scenario of the CoF already has you in a sudden situational awareness, i.e., not one that you can see from a mile away (hyperbole here), which basically forces the shooter at the P1 position to be at the ready with a tactical light in the support hand (since that is the IDPA sport's rule) and a hair (timer buzz) away from taking action with your handgun in a critical incident. 2) perhaps a lanyard can serve as a possible means for the perp in a close-up FoF encounter to get into a tug-of-war with your lanyard to gain control of it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, try to make sense of what I wrote, and to answer if you so choose to do.  ;D
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 08:27:29 AM »
While digesting my prior post that has some questions for y'all about tactical lights, here's a couple thoughts regarding cover garment and IWB holsters.

1. Cover garments don't have to be a vest, unless one so chooses to wear it at the match since they choose to wear it daily anyways and that's what they want to practice with.  The IDPA rule only requires that it be concealing the holstered gun when you lift your arms straight to the sides up to shoulder height.  I sometimes choose to wear the vest, but I generally am wearing a shirt that I wear most everyday.  At one of the matches last year, I even chose to wear a clinic lab jacket since that is what I sometimes wear at my private practice office. I've even worn my winter jacket. Granted, a couple of those clothing items may add a slight bit of time to my draw, but my approach to why I participate in IDPA may be different than others....but that is a whole other discussion.  :D

2. The IWB appendix carry not being allowed by IDPA is purely for safety reasons, although bullit and I are always "happy" to see participants at IDPA Nebraska matches  ::).  Hopefully, folks who do elect to carry as such are careful in their draw as well as reholster so as not to blow off their privates with a negligent discharge  :o, but such situation would also quickly have adverse ramifications for the host range as well as for the continuance of the IDPA sport at the host range.  :(
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:30:04 AM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 08:33:13 AM »
Did you fellas complain this much back when you were playing Dungeons and Dragons?  :)  Geesh.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »
My .02 - every shooting sport needs rules, and every shooting sport has some rules that someone is going to consider silly, whether that's USPSA, IDPA, CMP High Power, etc.  The people writing the rule book are human, and they're trying to strike a balance between keeping the sport competitive, fun, and (most importantly) safe.  None of the sports are ever going to find that perfect balance, but they almost always have a reason for the rule being there.  Sometimes that rule may not make sense to some people, but IMO it's not something to get all that worked up about as long as the sport is competitive, fun, and safe.