< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Saw This On Another Forum  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Saw This On Another Forum
« on: January 31, 2014, 07:33:17 PM »
I won't post a link to it. 

I was driving yesterday and came to a light in heave traffic, 86 street in Indy at Ditch road. Light turns green and the guy in front of me just sits there. I wait 3-4 seconds then hit my horn once. Guy puts it in park and starts to walk back to me. I see something in his hand, not big enough for a gun so I figured a blade. I didn't want him trashing my car so I get out. He gets 3-5 feet away and lunges with what turned out to be a box cutter. He was trying for my neck but I jerked back, so he caught the side of my face, and pulled my S&W 9MM J frame 940 from my front pocket. I moved to him and had the gun inches from his face. I explained his anti social behavior was unacceptable and if it continued I would put so much lead in him he could use a appendage for a pencil ( site rules prohibit me from reporting the actual conversation.)

When he saw the gun he FROZE. There was a LEO across the street at the gas station who saw the whole thing. He hit his lights and rushed over. He drew his tupperware 40 and told the guy to drop the cutter and put his hands up. He told me to put the gun on the top of my car and step away. He cuffed the guy and called a ambulance for me. He called in the numbers on my gun and checked my carry permits, I have a few from different states.

I didn't want the ambulance ride, to pick up my car I would have to take a cab down town, $25-$35 plus pay impound fees, $100-$150. Hospital was less than 1 mile away so the EMT gave me a compression bandage and I drove to the ER where I got 35 sutures and gave a statement to the LEO that followed me there. They are going to charge him, early 20's guy, with felony assault, assault with deadly weapon and maybe attempted murder.

11:00 a.m. you just never know. I do now however if I wasn't carrying I would probably be dead today.

I spotted a multitude of CCW sins in this situation.  Glad the guy wasn't hurt more seriously but holy smokes!  I'm bettin' even the most basic of state CCW courses would have covered what to do in a situation like this. 

So many things wrong here.  :o

Discuss.

PS My intent for posting this is for educational purposes.   I'm not looking to trash or malign anyone. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:46:17 PM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Saw This On Another Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »
This is a fun game.  "How many screw-ups can you spot?"   :)

1. Honking horn / being impatient. (Wanna bet it wasn't a polite little "toot"?)

2. (Not explicitly stated, but implied...) Not leaving enough distance between you and the car in front of you to drive around him if he doesn't pull forward and gets out to confront you, or if a second car working in partnership with the other pulls up close behind you to box you in.

3. Getting out of car because you "don't want it trashed".

I'll let others take it from here.....
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline bkent

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:17:02 PM »
Sticking the gun in his face sounds like a good way to loose control of the gun. Moving into him, instead of away, could also be construed as aggression instead of self defense.  Him posting the encounter on a forum isn't very bright either.

Kent

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »
Truthfully----this story really seems like a made-up "I wanna be a tough guy" story.   His entire attitude, the multitude of stupid things he did, several details that were gratuitous bragging....it all just feels like an "other people are telling stories showing how tough they are, I want to do it too!" sort of thing.

Have no idea if that is true or not.  But that is what it feels like.  If it IS true, there is a multitude of either stupid defensive choices or stupid "I'm a tough guy so I'm going to lie a bit here to make me seem cool" exaggerations.  I count about 10 at first run.

This would be a good example to use in a CCW class----"How Your Brain Can Make You A Dead Idiot" in one short story.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:54 PM »
I have to agree it sounds a little too good to be true- for instance how fortunate a nearby cop saw the whole thing. I suppose I could check it online if I cared enough. But to your point, yes getting out to confront an approaching armed man would be foolish.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »
Truthfully----this story really seems like a made-up "I wanna be a tough guy" story.
THIS.
My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine a responsible CCW'r doing so many of these things wrong. Especially putting the gun in the guys face. Distance is your friend.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 11:58:17 PM »
This Situation Will Make a Nice Case Study for Concealed Handgun Classes.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »
this story really seems like a made-up "I wanna be a tough guy" story. 

This. I read like a cheesy scene from a bad action movie.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:00:22 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »
This. I read like a cheesy scene from a bad action movie.

He didn't quite get there because there was no mention of any "round-house to the face"... :)
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 04:17:33 PM »
Truthfully----this story really seems like a made-up "I wanna be a tough guy" story.

I tend to agree.... 

The other give away for me was the "35 sutures".  I've treated a number of facial traumas/wounds in my career (mostly Navy hospital ERs).  With that kind of supposed wound care, he wouldn't have been in a condition to simply hold a compression bandage to his face and toodle down the road to the hospital.....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:25:47 PM by bullit »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 04:59:45 PM »

I tend to agree.... 

The other give away for me was the "35 sutures".  I've treated a number of facial traumas/wounds in my career (mostly Navy hospital ERs).  With that kind of supposed wound care, he wouldn't have been in a condition to simply hold a compression bandage to his face and toodle down the road to the hospital.....

Drunken Squids falling down ladders ands bouncing off bulkheads? 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »
And Marines returning from an innocent fun filled weekend in Tijuana

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »

That sentence is full of oxymorons. 

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 10:58:59 PM »

Fly called Marines oxymorons.   We'll get you, Swabbie!

C'mon, we only went down there to perfect our Spanish.

And to buy those hand-tooled leather purses to send home to our Mothers.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 12:09:49 AM »

I tend to agree.... 

I'm a guy who is somewhat accident prone.  I have a LOT of experience with cuts.  Mostly stupidity, plus some bad luck.  For example, in high school wood shop class I ran my hand through a table saw.  I've had LOTS of severe lacerations.  I have never needed more than 5 stitches for any of the injuries I have received.  A cut requiring 35 stitches would be huge.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 01:32:43 AM »
 The author is full of

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 02:53:48 PM »
Aww c'mon.  Let's not jump to logical conclusions.  Maybe he included the 35 sutures part because no one would believe he actually just cauterized the wound by pressing his face to his car's hot tailpipe.  We should all be thankful this guy's out there protecting the streets.  ::)

If nothing else, I and possibly others, learned something useful.  Marines have MOTHERS! :o The navy guys I work with will never believe it! :P

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 09:24:23 AM »
Ouch!
Brain transplant??

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
Yikes?  What did you do, get in a fight with a helicopter?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 09:09:08 PM »
I'm a guy who is somewhat accident prone.  I have a LOT of experience with cuts.  Mostly stupidity, plus some bad luck.  For example, in high school wood shop class I ran my hand through a table saw.  I've had LOTS of severe lacerations.  I have never needed more than 5 stitches for any of the injuries I have received.  A cut requiring 35 stitches would be huge.

I had a cut from my wire frame sunglasses that went from just below the outside edge of my left eye all the way across my nose to just under my right eye.  I don't remember the number of stitches, but the doc said it required two spools of catgut.  Besides being knocked unconscious, I don't think I would have been driving anywhere with just a compression bandage. 

I agree...BS.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum