< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: OC/CC in Scheels  (Read 2764 times)

Offline JustaAZcardsfan

• NFOA Full Member
OC/CC in Scheels
« on: February 04, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »
First time in the forum, I decided to join after reading some posts. It is a great way to share information between responsible firearms owners. I do OC regularly and will be getting my CC this month. Thought my experiece below would interest some.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Scheels purchasing a Ruger LC9. As we were filling out the paperwork I asked the salesman what the Scheels OC/CC policy was. He stated that if you are OC and he sees it, he will ask for the weapon and take it to the back and clear it. You get it back when you leave. Regarding CC he says if he doesn't see it he doesn't know you have it, but if he were to see it he would do the same.

Does anyone have a CC instructor they would recommend?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: OC/CC in Scheels
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 01:42:45 PM »
He stated that if you are OC and he sees it, he will ask for the weapon and take it to the back and clear it. You get it back when you leave. Regarding CC he says if he doesn't see it he doesn't know you have it, but if he were to see it he would do the same.

I can't think of a single law that would allow him to force you to do that.  He can ask you to leave.  Or let you stay.  But that's it. 

Now, he can ASK you to give him your loaded pistol, and you can do it if you want to do so.  However, there is NO law saying he has any right to collect your legally carried firearm.  If he doesn't like it, the only thing he can force you to do legally is have you leave the premises.

I don't happen to OC, myself.  However, if I did, there is NO chance I'd let some unknown person (and quite frankly, many of the folks that work the gun counter at Scheels are NOT pistol people) take my firearm in that manner.

Which Scheels was this?  Because I don't recall any policy of Scheels that in any way resembles this.  Who was the salesman?  Is this an official Scheels policy?  (It would surprise me greatly.)  Or is this something that salesman just made up, I wonder?  (That would not surprise me.)

Regarding a CCW instructor----well, me.  :)  There are a number of us here, so several people will probably speak up.  In my case, I've got a CCW State class coming up on March 8th.  If interested, you can register here:  http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Schedule.html

If you want a class sooner than mine, I'd suggest (and endorse) the CCW course offered by Chris Zeeb, though Nebraska Concealed Carry Training.  He teaches a good class.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JustaAZcardsfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:57:52 PM »
This was the Lincoln Scheels and I do not remember the salesmans name. I was very concerned that he thought he could ask for the weapon. Keep in mind, I was not carrying, just asking. I cannot confirm Scheels policy on this.

Thanks for the CC info, would it be possible for my wife to attend? Where do you perform the shooting portion?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 02:12:08 PM »
I'm guessing he had the "I'm full of it" disease.  It's a common affliction among those who work at gun shops.  No way is that Scheel's official policy. 

What I bet IS their policy is that all guns not concealed need to be in a case.  I've brought cased guns in before to Scheel's and walked right up to the gun section.  That was after I had asked them what they would like me to do.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »
Another option for a CCW class; www.88tactical.com

We have openings in our Feb 23rd class in Tekemah.

https://88tactical.com/categories/1-handgun/courses/2-ne-concealed-carry-permit-tekamah/

This is a ten hour course of instruction broken into six classroom hours and four hours live-fire on the range. Our training, executed by law enforcement, military and security industry professionals with hundreds of years aggregate experience, meets or exceeds state mandated requirements and provides a safe, rewarding learning environment. Even if you choose never to carry concealed, this is superb instruction for anyone who owns a firearm, lives in a home where there are firearms, or is interested in the moral, legal and practical aspects of using a gun in self defense.

Topics Covered
Four Universal Gun Safety Rules
Ethical and legal considerations regarding use of deadly force
Familiarization with applicable state statutes and local ordinances
Confrontation avoidance and de-escalation strategies 
Concealed carry methods and weapon presentation
Fundamentals of shooting (stance, grip, sight picture/alignment, trigger control)
Close range, threat-focused live-fire training
Testing and Qualification

Eligibility Requirements
Basic familiarity with your chosen handgun and companion equipment
Valid government issued ID (e.g. Drivers License, Military ID or Passport)

Equipment Requirements
Eye and ear protection
Pistol or revolver in proper working order
At least one spare magazine or speed loader (two preferable)
100 rounds of factory new practice ammunition (no handloads)
ALL WEAPONS to be unloaded and stored in case prior to arrival
Ballcap and clothing as weather dictates (training commences rain or shine)
Water or sport drink and/or energy bar or snacks recommended

Mandatory review prior to attendance
https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/concealedcarry.aspx
Ensure eligibility for permit by reviewing the rules and regulations under (Section 005, Permit Eligibility).
You will be required to attest to your eligibility via signed waiver.

Optional reference sites
http://nebraskaccess.ne.gov/municipalcodes.asp
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/
http://www.atf.gov/
http://www.tsa.gov/

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »
This was the Lincoln Scheels and I do not remember the salesmans name. I was very concerned that he thought he could ask for the weapon. Keep in mind, I was not carrying, just asking. I cannot confirm Scheels policy on this.
Like bkoenig, I agree that this really sounds like "I'll full of it" disease with a side of "here's what I'D do 'cause I'm a tough guy!" on the part of the salesman.  The problem, of course, is that he might actually insist on acting on this nonsense in an actual situation. 

I also agree with bkoenig about Scheel's most probable actual policy.  Like Cabelas, they probably would prefer anything not concealed to be unloaded, and bagged or cased.  (As all too many people just like to whip out guns to show other people.)

Thanks for the CC info, would it be possible for my wife to attend? Where do you perform the shooting portion?

We have a building in Plattsmouth for the classroom portion, and a private (outdoor) range area about 10 minutes away for the live fire portion.    We do have openings, so if both you and your wife want to take the class, feel free to go ahead and register!

http://precisionresponse.4t.com

Here's a link to the information I posted about this class in the "Firearms Training and Education" subforum: 

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,11061.0.html
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:06:55 PM »
I have seen OCers in Scheels Lincoln on 2 occasions.  Nothing was said that I observed and did not appear an issue.

As a CHP instructor myself (who limits classes to small and private), I second jthapkido on Chris Zeeb if location a matter.  In my limited time of know jthapkido I would bet the farm you'll not be disappointed in his course either.

Can't go wrong with 88 Tactical, although I did not take my CHP with them, took a few classes from HG to Tac Rifle to their first HD Shotgun 5-6 years ago when Signal 88.

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 07:09:36 PM »
This was their response when asked in 2012...Hello XXXXXXX, Thank you for contacting Scheels. Scheels corporate policy surrounding the legal carry of firearms by law abiding citizens is that we follow federal, state and local laws.

Thank you, Scheels Customer Service
 <customerservice@scheelssports.com>

Correct me if I'm wrong though...if the store is in a "mall" which is posted, you aren't supposed to carry, even if an individual store policy normally allows it.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:23:33 PM »
Scheels allows concealed carry.  Don't open carry, nothing against it though.

Chris Zeeb is an outstanding instructor, got Utah permit from. 
Got my CHP before jthhapkido got his license, but from my interaction with him at ENGC matches, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.
Took a reloading class from semperfi guy, who also teaches concealed  carry, no hesitation here either.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 08:55:03 AM »
I was needing to test fit a holster and the Scheel's associate helping me said," well just bring it in and we'll see what fits.".   I said, I wasn't for sure if I could bring it in the store.  He replied "All we ask is it's either concealed or unloaded, in a case. "  Take that for what it's worth.  (Of course I was already carrying my other pistol at the time...)  Of course, as discussed in another thread, line 12 (or 14) of the South Pointe rules sign out in the walkway states that firearms open or concealed are prohibited.

As for CCW courses in Lincoln, if you can't get into a Zeeb class, don't forget  Dave -aka HuskerXDM ( http://nebraskaconcealedcarryclasses.weebly.com/ ) Great teacher and good people.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline jscottjr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:25:11 AM »
Another recommendation for Chris Zeeb.  I'm sure there are many others that would be quality, but as his was the one I took it is the only one I can comfortably recommend.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:13:43 PM »
"Of course, as discussed in another thread, line 12 (or 14) of the South Pointe rules sign out in the walkway states that firearms open or concealed are prohibited."

Which does not meet the standard of "conspicuously" posted at each entrance.....

Offline mercaptan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:26:56 PM »
 I would recommend Great Plains Rifle Works in Bruno for CCW class. The Bohaty's do a nice job.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »
"Of course, as discussed in another thread, line 12 (or 14) of the South Pointe rules sign out in the walkway states that firearms open or concealed are prohibited."

Which does not meet the standard of "conspicuously" posted at each entrance.....

DING DING DING!

Oh. But is it?  Without defining language who is to say?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 03:58:02 PM »
So much to comment on in posts like this!

First off, welcome to the FORUM!

A gun in public, is like any other private thing in public.  Private things, are best kept private.  Open Carry, is a Constitutional Right from the inception of the country.   I doubt the founding fathers envisioned box stores and shopping malls.  In those days, children were seen, and never heard, and there were classes of people from well to do, to slaves.  Women did not vote, and were as much as property, inside and outside the bedroom. 

Lot has changed over the centuries.  Today, my personal feeling is, outside a duty weapon of a licensed peace officer, Open Carry has zero place in shopping malls, in todays society.  Will that swing back to being an acceptable and normal event, a western style gun on the hip of everyone, everywhere?  I doubt it.

If you walked into a box store with a wheel barrow filled with chicken cages, filled with chickens, would you create a scene? Would people take notice, and maybe walk a couple isles over to stay clear of you?  Would security be called, police called, SPCA called, ??????   OK, stupid analogy, but it makes the point, if you go walking into a mall, or box store, and you are DIFFERENT, stand out, possibly spark fear in others, actions will be taken to deal with what is apparently, correctly or incorrectly, a threat.

Why open yourself up to scrutiny, even if it is in support of Constitutional Rights? 

As far as concealed carry, I am a big proponent of doing this.  My first concealed carry permit dates back over 30 years ago.  I started collecting guns and knives over 50 years ago.  Hand guns 35 years ago, I am a retired FFL gun dealer, specializing in used guns.  I have personally shot about every make and model of gun in America today.  I own a fair sized gun collection. 

I am a NRA Member, at the Benefactor Life level.  I am a NRA certified advanced handgun trainer, Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer, Glock Certified Armorer and hold a A+ rating at the BBB for storefront businesses I operate from 1991 to date.

I teach a Nebraska State Patrol certified Concealed Carry class, twice a week, Wednesdays and Sundays. My largest class has been 8 students, and all 8 passed with high scores.  I like smaller classes, so everyone feels comfortable, and not lost in the masses.  I have a dedicated NRA classroom, that is only used to teach gun safety, at 1st & O street.  I have a private indoor range 20 minutes away, that is out of the snow, rain, wind, on a nice paved road, easy to get to.

Because of my sermon on Open Carry, please accept my gift of a complimentary Concealed Carry class as my guest.   Another instructor on this forum gave me a Utah class free of charge, just to be nice, so I will now pay that gesture forward. 

To register for your class, PM me.  To learn more about my classes, you can go to www.guns1roses.com     

(((For CHP class, I would not recommend Exeter Arms.  lol)))

If you have already registered at another class, feel free to also sit through my class, as additional training, is never a bad thing.

Again, welcome to our FORUM!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 04:02:09 PM by Gary »

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 04:08:19 PM »
Oh, yeah! Or Gary.  ;)

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
I would recommend Great Plains Rifle Works in Bruno for CCW class. The Bohaty's do a nice job.

I would second that, I and my son took our CHP class there.
The classroom time is actually in their small gunstore, then when you move to the shooting portion of the class, you go right out the back door to a nifty range.
They are a husband and wife team that are both retired State Patrol employees.
Very nice folks and they serve you pizza lunch as part of your class.
It is quite a distance from Omaha and Lincoln, probably 40-50 miles, but a pretty country drive.
Greg58

http://greatplainsllc.com/ccwtraining.aspx

Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »
Get back on topic ... OC/CC in Scheels
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »
Get back on topic ... OC/CC in Scheels
Last sentence in the OP was to recommend Conceal Carry instructors.

My vote is for the Bohaty's too. Great place to be and awesome hospitality.