< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln/Game and Parks shooting range  (Read 5551 times)

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
Lincoln/Game and Parks shooting range
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:22:18 PM »
Ok, this really didn't fit the "newsworthy" section. I haven't seen much about it anywhere until I searched the Game & Parks website:

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/programs/education/Boosalis/index.asp

Your thoughts? In my case it is literally right up the street from me, would be nice to go there on luch breaks.....

Hope it doesn't end up hurting Big Shots...

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Lincoln/Game and Parks shooting range
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:09:31 PM »
Yep, should be done soon.
The NFOA was indirectly involved with this early on.  You can read more under the WMA Range Committee
Big Shots was quite concerned about this early on, but I believe it will compliment them as it is focused more for youth and family education and events, whereas Big Shot (IIRC) has a minimum age limit. and seems to cater to a certain crowd.

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »
You can read more under the WMA Range Committee
That area is for committee members only
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »
Quite a few hours spent in stuffy board rooms over this, glad it is finally going to open!
N0ZXR

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »
That area is for committee members only
Oh yeah, I meant the WMA Range Committee report to the Membership.  Should be a couple posts back in there somewhere.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »
Quite a few hours spent in stuffy board rooms over this, glad it is finally going to open!

Hey Jesse! glad to see you are still around
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »
whereas Big Shot (IIRC) has a minimum age limit.

12 years old, I believe.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:08:23 PM »
12 years old, I believe.
That's what I thought, I was hoping someone would come on here and prove me wrong, or that they had changed it. ;)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 12:08:38 AM »
Will this facility be open for CHP instructors to teach concealed carry classes? Does anyone know?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 09:15:20 AM »
And the status of the range we (The NFOA) donated $5K to without member notice ????

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »
To be frank, bullit, IDK!  The folks at HQ seem to have a problem answering emails.
I think a trip to G&P HQ is on my list. (throw it in with Top shot meetings, and Legislative hearings... I'll git r done.)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 08:42:07 PM »
And the status of the range we (The NFOA) donated $5K to without member notice ????

NFOA  started this process in late 2011 and had a all volunteer committee of NFOA members organize and deploy an online range survey that ran in this forum for quite some time, and We (NFOA) were very public about our plans to get some new ranges built in Nebraska that would be open to the public.

I doubt anyone thought the ranges would be built with no funds coming from NFOA since it was our idea to begin this process

Funds raised in raffles that can not be used for lobbying purposes were tasked to help get the range project off the ground and will be matched 3 or 4 to one by NE G&P and other funding.

To say that the members were not notified is just not true. We publicly asked the members to participate in the process. Those members that stepped up did a very fine job of representing the NFOA.

All of the BOD decisions made are documented in the minutes of the NFOA Board and have been posted online.

Here is a link and a excerpt from one if the early reports from the range committee

http://nebraskafirearms.org/?p=1232567

2i.) Work with G&P to develop a public range at WMA – Action report/update
Dan W. reported the committee has made good progress. Jeremy C. and Keith E. are to meet with a contact from the NGP soon. Report should be made next month.

Volunteers have been offering to help with the work on a regular basis.

As a result of this activity, the committee has developed and is currently running a survey online for the members and the public input information about the state of public and private shooting ranges throughout the state of Nebraska.[
/quote]

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 02:16:20 PM »
I asked NE G&P staff about progress on the sight in ranges.  Here is the response I received. 

The new design is about complete and we are hoping to put this sight in range out for bids in the next month or so.  Killdeer WMA is the location and it will be a really nice place for hunters to sight in a deer rifle.  We are still looking at a tube style design.

Killdeer WMA is approximately 2 1/2 miles north of Martell, NE, in SW Lancaster Co.

Ghost
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 02:34:34 PM »
Thanx for the update, Ghost.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 05:09:59 PM »
The new design is about complete and we are hoping to put this sight in range out for bids in the next month or so.  Killdeer WMA is the location and it will be a really nice place for hunters to sight in a deer rifle.  We are still looking at a tube style design.

So, this is just for "sight-in" purposes?    ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »
Will this facility be open for CHP instructors to teach concealed carry classes? Does anyone know?

I will quote my own question, as I did not see that anyone answered it.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 05:24:04 PM »
WMA "Sight In" ranges. That's what they are being called.

Gary, you'll have to ask G&P about that.  I spoke with Jeff a while back and I don't recall what was discussed about that.  I want to say no, but don't quote me.

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »
Oh yeah, I meant the WMA Range Committee report to the Membership.  Should be a couple posts back in there somewhere.
Forgive my ignorance, but where can I find  this report? "Search" is not my friend.

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 10:10:52 PM »
A lot of the early discussion re: ranges at G&P locations was in this thread:

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,4346.0.html

Ghost
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 07:58:49 AM »
Thanx Ghost, me and Mr. Search was not getting along either. I knew it was there somewhere.