< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: In need of a good Read  (Read 4052 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: In need of a good Read
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »
+1 on Ringo! 

mmm...  I've about read out the scifi section at the Walt public library, but I avoided the Ringo books because the covers looked so corny.  I'll have to check some out!

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »
If thre are any folks who like true history in a novel type account check out " The Ladder Of Rivers" by Harry E. Crisman.  A very interesting account of the cattle and gold barons of the late 1800's and early 1900's complete with rustlers, hangings and trials in Kearney, Hastings, Loup City and Central City, serious enough for troops to be called from Fort Omaha for secutity
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 01:49:27 PM »
One Second After by WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN
Forstchen also wrote a series of at least ten books collectively called The Lost Regiment. They are about a Civil War Union Regiment that is mysteriously transported to an alien planet where they encounter people from Earth who were abducted in other eras and have to engage in a protracted war with a nation of alien barbarians who are pillaging the planet.

Jerry Pournelle wrote a series of thee books, called Janisaries, about a group of CIA contractors who are abducted by aliens and dumped on another planet to raise plants used to make recreational drugs. There was supposed to be a fourth book but it has never been completed.

In today's column on the Backwoods Home web site, Massad Ayoob talks about a future movie called Alexander's Bridge. It is about a Delta Force team that gets transported back through time to the middle of the Civil War. The cast will consist of real life Delta Force operators and Civil War re-enactors. Ayoob says they intend to get the details right about weapons, tactics, clothing, etc.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »
Another great scifi author (probably my favorite) is Dan Simmons.  His Hyperion series is just awesome, and he has a couple of other books (Ilium and Olympos)  that mix scifi with the Trojan war.  Yes, it sounds weird, but it really works.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:27:49 PM by bkoenig »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
i just remembered i liked Sal Guntas book. hes a medal of honor winner and i saw him speak at the Sac museum.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »
mmm...  I've about read out the scifi section at the Walt public library, but I avoided the Ringo books because the covers looked so corny.  I'll have to check some out!

Yeah, the covers seem to be aimed at a hormone-laden 15 year old boy.  The Troy Rising series is pretty good, though.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 06:56:29 PM »
At the risk of unabashed self-promotion ... http://www.amazon.com/Union-Creek-Journal-Toby-Asplin-ebook/dp/B008XLJ63K/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1394118506&sr=1-1&keywords=the+union+creek+journal

did you write this? was pretty good, but are you ever going to write a second half and tell us what happened?
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 07:00:03 PM »
  did you write this? was pretty good, but are you ever going to write a second half and tell us what happened?

Yes and yes. :D Not sure when, though. Life has sort of overtaken me.