< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: In need of a good Read  (Read 4054 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
In need of a good Read
« on: February 27, 2014, 12:11:14 PM »
Kindle edition, because i like to have my phone with me for my visit to the water closet.....

Anyhow, i like to think of myself as conservative, right wing, tea party-esque. 

Just finished "Control" by Glenn Beck, which btw ended a bit abruptly and unexpectedly.  If you know anything about kindle, it tells you how much book you have read by percentage, and estimates how long it will be, in hours and minutes until you finish it.  This book at 64% was the end of the book leaving the rest filled with citation, reference, credits, etc.  Needless to say i was  bit PO'd, and now have nothing on the horizon.

Anyone in the middle of anything they'd like to recommend?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: In need of a good Read
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
I'm a scifi nerd.  If you're into that you might look into Larry Correia, John Ringo, and Michael Z. Williamson.  They all write scifi from a conservative and/or libertarian perspective.  Correia is more of fantasy author than scifi.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »
If factual history interests you, anything by Stephen Ambrose is worth looking into.  Works by Michael Shaara and his son Jeff are good Civil War works..

Offline kwheat

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:58:54 PM »
I'm in the middle of "On Combat" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, it's been an interesting read so far

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »
No idea if they are on kindle, but these are some reads I recommend to people interested in the topic:

The Bear went over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan
The Other Side of the Mountain: Mujahideen Tactics in the Soviet-Afghan War
Jungle of Snakes: A Century of Counter-Insurgency Warfare from the Philippines to Iraq
Seeds of Terror: How Drugs, Thugs, and Crime are Reshaping the Afghan War

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 02:38:46 PM »
Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand was a good read.  It's the true story of an Olympic athlete who joined the Army Air Corps in WWII and was captured by the Japanese.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »
I recently finished Mercy Shot  by S.C. Sherman. 
The author is from Iowa and contacted me about reviewing his work.  And I must say I was impressed for the most part.  (I still need to get that review written)  He takes the basis of stories from today's headlines- Active Shootings, Self Defense events and the politics that erupt around them and works them into a fictional, albeit absolutely believable story.  It'll scare the Hell outta ya.  If there was a concern, it also ended somewhat quickly (Or maybe it was that I actually was able to sit down for a long enough time to finish the ending in one shot.  Reading books on 30min lunch hours lends to a choppy read)
I'm not sure if it has went digital yet, but here is a link http://scsherman.com/books/mercy-shot/
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »
I'm a scifi nerd.  If you're into that you might look into Larry Correia, John Ringo, and Michael Z. Williamson.  They all write scifi from a conservative and/or libertarian perspective.  Correia is more of fantasy author than scifi.

+1 on Ringo! 
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »
+1 on Ringo! 

Ringo also has written some...ahem..."alternative" stuff.  Apparently he needed to get some bad thoughts out of his head so he put them down on paper :)

Larry Correia is a gun dork like the rest of us.  He used to be an NFA dealer and is an avid 3 gun competitor, so his books have stuff like the hero carrying a custom pair of STI 2011's.

Another suggestion - Death in the Long Grass: A Big Game Hunter's Adventures in the African Bush by Peter Hathaway Capstick.  I just finished this and it was very entertaining.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 10:58:16 PM »
My father still hasn't lent me his copy of "Last Man Out" by Glen McDole, one of the few survivors of the Palawan Massacre at the hands of the Japanese in WWII. He was a POW for 3 years. Glen, who passed away in 2009, was my grandfather's first cousin. He was born in Nebraska and moved to Iowa before the war. I never got the chance to meet him, but my dad told me stories about him. If I'm connecting the right family tree branches, Glen's mother lived in Ashland.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Man-Out-Survivor-Massacre/dp/0786418222
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:33:37 PM »
 First , what a kindle?

for hard cover, I have all the books written by Patrick F McManus, once you read one you will have to have them all,
 most of his books pretty well cover my childhood
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 05:00:54 AM »
Bracken's "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" series. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 08:15:23 AM »
One Second After by WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN,  It will scare the bajesus out of you, cause it COULD happen.

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 08:36:09 AM »
I prefer historical non-fiction and am just wrapping up Death in the City of Light. It's the true story of a brutal serial killer who unleashed a reign of terror in Nazi-Occupied Paris. This is my first read by the author, David King.....I will definitely look for more from him.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 09:57:40 AM »
Awick reminded me of one, and I would loan it to ya IF I could remember where I put it, or who I loaned it to last.
 It's "A Few Survived" by Bob Dowding of Seward NE. 
About his time in WWII in Japanese POW camps, including Bataan Death March .  Quite the story.
I am saddened I cannot find my copy, as I /we got it from the family when I stood in a PGR flag line for his funeral.  An HONOR Indeed! :(
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 10:06:57 AM »
thanks for the response everyone, gives me handfuls of future lineups!

i'm honestly not much of a reader, but about 2 years ago or so i started doing some light reading in "leisure times", takes me generally 4-6 mos. to finish a book.

going to have to think this one through over the weekend i guess, i don't have a solid go to genre so i'm going to have to do some thumbing through everyones suggestions and some stuff i've sought out on my own.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »
im a little late to this party, but i have these (and a few others) on hardcover:

No Easy Day - Mark Owen
Sniper: A Novel - Nicolai Lilin (Russian sniper/saboteur book fighting Afghans, etc.  good book covering the other side, and quite different views on USA)
American Sniper - Chris Kyle

i prefer real books, so i have no idea if they are on kindle or not.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »
Ringo also has written some...ahem..."alternative" stuff.  Apparently he needed to get some bad thoughts out of his head so he put them down on paper :)

Larry Correia is a gun dork like the rest of us.  He used to be an NFA dealer and is an avid 3 gun competitor, so his books have stuff like the hero carrying a custom pair of STI 2011's.

Another suggestion - Death in the Long Grass: A Big Game Hunter's Adventures in the African Bush by Peter Hathaway Capstick.  I just finished this and it was very entertaining.

If you like  John Ringo, then Tom Kratman is a must read. Start with A State of Disobedience, bearing in mind it was written in 2003 before anyone outside of Chicago had heard of B. Obama. Real spooky.... Then try Caliphate.  Those two books should give enough of a taste to get you following his other works. 

I'll have to give Correia a look...always looking for that next author to follow
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:51:28 PM by RedDot »

Offline Jerry Lundegard

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 10:06:06 PM »
One Second After. 

Story of the aftermath of an EMP attack. Scary and thought provoking. A bit slow to start but fantastic overall. Read in two days. Loaned out to several people and they all finished quickly as well. 

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills