< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Who Loves Their Ruger LCR .357MAG????  (Read 2084 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Who Loves Their Ruger LCR .357MAG????
« on: February 27, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
Write-ups on these Little Beauties have praised that cam-action trigger system for its smoothness and crisp let-off.   Even compared it to......yes......Smith & Wesson triggers.

Some reviewers claim the .357 rounds cause hand-hurtie; others say it's tolerable, even OK.   [Of course:   Different Folks; Different Strokes]

Some even like the X-model because it can be fired SA.

Some say the J-frames or the S&W BodyGuards are Mo Betta.  SP101s?

Some say their Wives have taken over their LCRs, forcing them to go out and buy a new handgun (No Whining).

What Say YOU???????

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Who Loves Their Ruger LCR .357MAG????
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
For a sec i was gonna complain about pouring salt in the wound -- but -- ah.

Just from visual appearance im not a huge fan.  I've held, but not shot, an airlite 357.  Scary to think about discharging it.  This seems to fit same bill.

As a small carry revolver for high concealability with decent punch - sure.  Shoot it outside of extreme circumstances, no thanks
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »
I have shot a fellow member's LCR .357 and I will tell ya, it is, as I label such guns, shootable, but a handful. By that I mean it's not something you spend all day at the range plinking with, but perfectly suitable for it's intended purpose. 
I have messaged her and hopefully she can make it here later to give better insight.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 05:58:37 PM »
This Thought on Felt Recoil:

When you shoot your .30-06/.308 on your running deer, it's hardly felt.

But it sure hurt coupla days ago at sighting in time.

My guess is it's pretty much same dealie in a "situation".

it's not something you spend all day at the range plinking with

I've always liked the .38/.357MAG combo because.......you can shoot Lightly Loaded .38SPCLs.    (That's what makes it so special.)

sfg
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:04:58 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:03:24 PM »
I've shot a .38 Spl LCR.  Nice trigger, recoil was comparable to an airweight J-frame.

Worst thing I've ever shot was a .357 Scandium framed J-frame.  It's the only gun I've ever shot once and had no desire to shoot again.  I shot a .454 Casull right after that and it was a pussycat compared to the .357.  I don't see how something like that could be an effective self defense gun for the average person.  The recoil is sharp enough that it would make follow up shots pretty slow.  There just isn't enough grip to effectively handle the recoil.  A .38 snubby is much more manageable and with the right ammo should be close in stopping power to a 9mm.

My mom has an SP101.  She has arthritis and needs a full sized grip, and she shoots .38's in it to mitigate the recoil.  For her it's a good handgun and I think they're well made, but I don't really see the point of the SP101 for most people.  It's almost as big as a full sized revolver, but with the capacity of a snubby.  If I were going to carry a revolver of that size I'd just get a 4" GP100.  For concealed carry I think an LCR or J-frame Smith makes more sense since they're much lighter and more compact.  I very much prefer an autoloader for concealed carry, but I do carry a 642 when I go running since it's so light.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:10:20 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Nnylrac

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
Absolutely LOVE my Ruger LCR.  I traded off an LCP and got the LCR and couldn't be more pleased.  Excellent for concealment and packs a punch.  I shoot .38 spcl for target practice and then reload with .357 for personal defense. 

I also own a Ruger SP101. While I love my SP, the LCR is much more concealable but yes it also has a bit more recoil.  For every day carry - Ruger LCR. For a long day of shooting at the range, Id choose my SP101.  I took a two day Kathy Jackson class last year at Izaac Walton and shot the SP101 all day long both days.  I was the only one shooting a revolver out of everyone there.  On a side note, I did learn how to reload that revolver very quickly (As all the other participants had at least 6 shot handguns and my SP is only 5.)  8)

But I digress....If you have a chance to shoot one or own one...do it.  You wont be disappointed. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
But I digress....If you have a chance to shoot one or own one...do it.  You wont be disappointed. 
[/b][/size]

You've sorta uncovered the basis motive for this post.   First Step: Checking impressions and experiences with the Folks.

sfg

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »
I do think the LCR has a better grip than the J-frames.  In .357 that probably contributes to making them more manageable.  I have a J-frame just because I can't bring myself to own a polymer revolver :).

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 07:08:43 AM »
i have a 38 special LCR, i'm not a fan of it.  i might sell it one of these days.  i carry it all the time, but i'm not a fan of shooting it.  lots of recoil, terrible stock sights and a heavy, mile long trigger pull.  im just not a revolver guy.  i like light, crisp triggers.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 03:21:53 PM »
Great thread. Been thinking long and hard about adding this gun for concealed carry.

Offline terminalvelocity16

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 11:31:07 AM »
I love my Ruger LCR in .357Mag. I thought long and hard before I purchased it. All in all I think it's a great all around firearm. I find the 357's a little difficult to control but like anything else I see this becoming manageable with practice and a good grip. I usually practice with plain .38 specials because they're cheaper and easier to come across.

For the time being I stick with .38 +P's for defensive purposes. But this is what I enjoy most about this pistol. If your not ready for the 357's then use something smaller. A lot of people complain about the short grip and having to float the pinky but I don't find to to be too much of a hindrance.

That being said, a target pistol this is not. If you plan to spend the day at the range busting paper this is not the firearm for you. If you want a small, very concealable double action revolver that's both comfortable enough to carry and sturdy enough to handle a large magnum cartridge without breaking your fingers or the bank, then the Ruger LCR is for you. P.S. It's an absolute necessity to replace the front ramp site with some sort of high viz deal.

-Term