< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: US Supreme Court fails the people once again...  (Read 693 times)

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
US Supreme Court fails the people once again...
« on: February 28, 2014, 05:34:24 PM »
Supreme Court ruling expands police authority in home searches

The Supreme Court decision, based on a Los Angeles case, says officers may search a residence without a warrant as long as one occupant consents.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-scotus-lapd-search-20140226,0,3720623.story#ixzz2uf9AJHMu

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: US Supreme Court fails the people once again...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:42:15 PM »
Sadly, this decision is a bit more gray than you'd think. I'd suggest reading the decision yourself.

Cops show up for a domestic disturbance call.  Bloody woman answers door with crying baby (obviously been beaten).  They take douchebag away.

They come back later, she's still living there.  They want to search for stuff, she says yes.  Douchebag obviously refuses to allow it etc.

Now, there are some weirdness for this.

Who's name on the property ?
She's living there, does she not have any rights ?
etc ?

So, lets take this a bit different.

Happily married couple at home.  Police knock and want to search. One says yes the other says no. What do you do next ?

As far as this particular case - my opinion after thinking about it last night and today is that judge should have thrown out anything discovered during the second search.  Douchebag conviction wouldn't be worth chipping away at / poisoning the tree for the 4A.  And they could have just of easily gotten a search warrant.

Why ?

Because although you have permission to search HER stuff, you don't have the right to search HIS stuff. Just because they're under the same roof doesn't change the law.  There's also 'spirit of the law' stuff too.

As a possible argument against the above: if the lady had said 'there is bad stuff here', is that probable cause ?
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »
I think what DanClrk51 was getting at is that the individual who happens to be in the apartment when the police ask for permission to search without a warrant doesn't necessarily have to be living there.  It could be a visiting relative, or friend, land lord or total stranger.  Besides, it isn't the letter of the law any more, it is how "flexible" the application can be.   There are way too many vaguely written laws that prosecutors who don't honor their oath of office take advantage of.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »
I think what DanClrk51 was getting at is that the individual who happens to be in the apartment when the police ask for permission to search without a warrant doesn't necessarily have to be living there. 

In the case this decision was about, she did live there.

I suppose the question the police would need to ask would then be 'do you live here and may we search the place'.  Although from my understanding they tend task the 'do you live here' first thing anyway.

I'll need to re-read the SCOTUS decision....
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D