< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 'carry insurance' & 'attorneys on retainer' ?s  (Read 1863 times)

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
'carry insurance' & 'attorneys on retainer' ?s
« on: March 01, 2014, 12:45:41 PM »
I have a few questions that I wanted to know everyone's opinions on...

» What are the cons to having 'ccw insurance'?  Does anyone have experience as to which plans are the best?

» Being A c.h.p. holder, Should I have a lawyer 'on retainer'?

I started researching insurance after hearing all the adds for the uscca...there program looks good until you realize that it is strictly a Reimbursement Plan, you have to come up with the 'up to $600k' upfront & they will pay you back if you win the case...I don't know about you guys but I don't have tens of thousands sitting in the bank to even begin to mount a defense in the unfortunate case of using my firearm in self defense.

There are several plans like the uscca's out there that are reimbursement based... I went with one initially called 'patriot legal protection'...it was less than $200 for a year & they provide upfront money to mount a legal defense...I wouldn't have to take out a second mortgage on my house to fight frivolous prosecution.

In your opinions, what are the downfalls to such insurance? I suppose I could imagine a prosecutor bringing it up in court, they could also bring up online forum posts if they wanted...

I have full coverage insurance on several vehicles, life insurance, home owners insurance, gap insurance on my wife's car, short & long term disability insurance, & sometimes I even buy an extended warranty on appliances & electronics....why not have some protection for myself regarding the lethal weapon that I carry to protect myself? It sure is a hell of a lot less expensive than most of those others I mentioned...

As far as attorneys, are there any in the eastern Nebraska /omaha area who specialize in firearms cases? And if so, is it worth having one on retainer as a chp holder... I wouldn't have the slightest idea who to call if i were involved in a incident requiring a lawyer...I guess I always see James Martin Davis on tv, but there has to be more... I really have no idea, do any answer calls overnight?

I've read & been told not to answer much more than a few basic questions for police without an attorney present....if I am ever in that scenario I sure would like to know who I'm going to call ahead of time.

I would certainly hope that no one on a firearms forum takes this out of context....disclaimer, I hope that I never have to use my firearm in self defense...I like being prepared (the main reason I carry), & for me part of that is addressing what would I have to do after a self defense shooting

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: 'carry insurance' & 'attorneys on retainer' ?s
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:59:53 PM »
Have you looked at the Armed Citizens Network?

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org

I'm guessing this might be cheaper than the retainer or carry insurance routes.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »
Curious if a traditional insurance company offers coverage if you ave an umbrella liability policy?   Actually plan to call my State Farm agent next week and see what he says.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 09:09:01 PM »
Just an observation on this insurance thing.

If for some reason you had to use your weapon in self defense, it the prosecutor going to use this insurance as a reason to make the shooter seem more willing to use his gun. Wouldn't they say that you planned on using it because you bought a policy to cover yourself?

The difference I see is that with health insurance, everyone gets sick, it's a preventative measure.

I am not against the concealed carry insurance, just putting this out there.

I personally don't think it is a necessary thing, it is going to cost you a lot whether you have it or not, but by having it too, the prosecution may go for even more money for the family of the poor, loved by everyone, with no enemies thug that tried to rape your daughter.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 09:43:27 PM »
Just an observation on this insurance thing.

If for some reason you had to use your weapon in self defense, it the prosecutor going to use this insurance as a reason to make the shooter seem more willing to use his gun. Wouldn't they say that you planned on using it because you bought a policy to cover yourself?

The difference I see is that with health insurance, everyone gets sick, it's a preventative measure.

I am not against the concealed carry insurance, just putting this out there.

I personally don't think it is a necessary thing, it is going to cost you a lot whether you have it or not, but by having it too, the prosecution may go for even more money for the family of the poor, loved by everyone, with no enemies thug that tried to rape your daughter.

This seems to me to be another "Don't  ________ because the prosecutor is going to use it against you" concern.  I know there are some basic things you should and should not do if you are involved in a self defense situation, but even if you did EVERYTHING right, a prosecutor that wants to make a name for themselves with the anti-gun crowd while they try to give the impression that they are "making the world a safer place" is going to drag up the most ridiculous things.  Things that you wouldn't change about yourself, or that you could never imagine someone would look upon as a negative thing. 

There is a long list of things that I have seen people warning others about...

Don't use hollow point ammo because the prosecutor will say you wanted to kill the person.
Don't change the trigger on your gun because the prosecutor will say you did it to be more deadly.
Don't compete in action shooting competitions because the prosecutor will say it shows that you were practicing killing.
Don't shoot at silhouette targets because the prosecutor will say it showed that you wanted to kill a person.
Don't...
Don't...
Don't...

How about just don't ever get involved in a self-defense situation?  Which means never go outside, or just lay down and take what the thug is serving up.

If you ever shoot anyone, the only things that are going to help you avoid a legal battle is a pro-gun/pro-self defense officer of the law and/or prosecutor.  Beyond that, you need the best attorney that money can buy. I still believe and will argue that a GOOD attorney will counter all the ridiculous arguments that a prosecutor will come up with.

Fly
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:21:08 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »
The problem is that half the jury is going to be picked by what the prosecutor believes will get someone convicted while the other half will be people picked by the defense. I don't think it is right making the victim the criminal unless he is the one that instigated the confrontation, or actually wasn't the victim. It's always easier to convict someone that is sitting in front of you for something they didn't do than it is to get justice served. Most of the time the jurors just want to get their check and go home, waiting for proper justice takes time and taking in facts, not just listening to a prosecutor tossing out untrue accusations. One of the reasons I was not appreciated on the two juries I was on, but that's just me.

Why should someone have to defend themselves in court for defending themselves on the street? It's all to make the attorneys rich since one has to pay out of pocket and the other is more than likely getting paid by taxpayers.

I am not saying the insurance is not a good idea, all I want to know is what advantage is it going to give you when you are the one living in the court room because they already made a cadaver out of the thug that tried to kill you?

I personally feel you should be able to use any bullets you want with the best powders available. But until the lawyers are not fed by the system, it will continue to thrive.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 10:30:36 PM »
I agree.  The legal system is screwed up.  You are guilty until proven innocent and that could cost you your house, your marriage, your health, and your sanity.

If you every are involved in a SD critical dynamic incident  ;D then you tell the officer...

I was there
Thug was there
Thug did/said this
I tried to retreat/diffuse the situation
Thug advanced and/or escalated the situation
I feared for my life
I defended myself
I called 911
That person there, and that person over there are witnesses to the thugs aggression
That's all I have to say officer

Fly

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 07:25:20 AM »
Have you looked at the Armed Citizens Network?

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org

I'm guessing this might be cheaper than the retainer or carry insurance routes.

Fly

+++++ on Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

This is a trustworthy organization, looking to help its members.

My personal opinion on USCCA.... I wouldn't buy a thing from this guy. His primary objective seems to be "selling whatever he can".

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 08:20:53 AM »
Some very good points brought up...more to think about!

I remembered what made me think twice about the armed citizens plan....it sounds like the amount they help you is at their discretion...

Network members are eligible for additional grants of financial assistance from the Network's Legal Defense Fund if they face unmeritorious prosecution or civil action after a self-defense incident occurring during their period of membership.

It still sounds like a pretty solid plan...i am going to call them for more details.

I reRead the patriot legal plan & they have an 1-800# that you call of involved in an incident & they will contact 'a top attorney in your jurisdiction'....I suppose I should call them & find out more details...

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
My personal opinion on USCCA.... I wouldn't buy a thing from this guy. His primary objective seems to be "selling whatever he can".

My thoughts too...
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.