< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: First ENPS Multigun Match of the Year: March 16th!  (Read 2939 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
First ENPS Multigun Match of the Year: March 16th!
« on: March 04, 2014, 06:33:56 PM »
First ENPS Multigun match of the year is coming up in a little less than two weeks!  (And yes, that is hopefully enough time for the weather to get a LOT better.)

Four stages, one of which will be on the 100-yard range.  (Be warned---the second MG match of the year, in April, will be using the 300m range, so know your dope from 5 yards out to 300m by April!) 

As always, setup starts at 7:15am, and we could use all the help we can get.  Registration CLOSES at 8:40am, which means that if you plan on shooting, get there much earlier in case there is a line.  (And if you are smart, you'll pre-register online at https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-march-multigun-match/register ---remember, when you pre-register you still need to check in and pay for the match prior to registration being closed, it'll just be VERY quick when you do so.)

Remember---if you have squad requests, the smartest thing you can do is register online, then squad yourself appropriately.  If you don't do that, you'd better register at the match early otherwise it may not be possible.  (Squadding also depends on the number of certified ROs we have at the match.  If you and your 12 friends all like to shoot together, 3-4 of you should probably take the RO class otherwise it just can't happen.  :) )

Safety briefing/new shooter meeting at 8:40am, shooter's meeting at 9am, and shooting starts right afterward. 

Cost $15.

As always, bring guns and plenty of ammo, be safe, and you'll have a ton of fun.   :D
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: First ENPS Multigun Match of the Year: March 16th!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:16:31 PM »
Sparky0068 and I are all signed up.

Put a brake on my 11.5" SBR.  It's REALLY loud.  I could shoot my dedicated 3-gun rifle, but why when I can be obnoxious?

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:49:47 PM »
I want to come and shot so bad but I can't this weekend...  :( I need to get all my gear made up so I can maybe try for the april match... But at 300m I am going to need to ditch the cheap red dot and get a scope... I really want a PA 1x6 but not instock... oh well best luck and safe to all the shooters!

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:54:28 PM »
do they ever have like an intro to, practice, or just come and we'll teach you how all this stuff works?

I think it would be fun but would hate to be that guy that has no idea whats going on and might upset someone else, or learn halfway through that my equipment needs to be changed etc.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »
do they ever have like an intro to, practice, or just come and we'll teach you how all this stuff works?

I think it would be fun but would hate to be that guy that has no idea whats going on and might upset someone else, or learn halfway through that my equipment needs to be changed etc.

I don't think they have ever had an intro class, but everyone has to start somewhere.  At the beginning of the match they have a meeting for new shooters to go over the safety rules, and I would let the RO know you're a new shooter when it's your turn.  Just focus on safety, not speed, and you'll be fine.

IMO long as you have these things that's all you really need to get started.  No sense in buying much gear until you've shot a couple matches so you can figure out what you want.

Rifle with iron sights, red dot, or scope that's been zeroed
Handgun
Shotgun
Holster that will hold your handgun securely
4 or so mags each for rifle & pistol (you can just stick them in your back pockets for now if you don't have mag pouches)
A way to carry shotgun shells (a trap pouch works)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:51:24 PM »
tstuart,

Go down and watch. The matches are open to the public. Tell the range officer that you are there to watch the match and that you have no firearms with you. Make sure you have eyes and ears. Find one of the NFOA guys like bkoenig or JTH and follow them around. Ask questions. Gun guys love to talk about their hobbies.  :-X :laugh:
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »
Find one of the NFOA guys like bkoenig or JTH and follow them around. Ask questions. Gun guys love to talk about their hobbies.  :-X :laugh:

The hard part is making us shut up!

You can certainly come out and watch a match---talk to people, see how they are run, what is required, etc...

....but if you do, you are going to want to shoot it.  So like bkoenig said, if you have:
1) semi-auto rifle and the ability to carry at least 45 rounds on your person (ex:  AR-15 and 2 30-round mags),
2) semi-auto handgun 9mm or larger, plus the ability to carry around at least 35 rounds of ammo (ex:  Glock 17 and 2-3 magazines), plus a decent holster that covers the trigger guard and keeps the firearm secure, and
3) shotgun (20 or 12 gauge) and the ability to carry pretty much a whole box of extra shells (which, I'll note, people have done successfully by dumping them all in their pockets)

....then you are good.  It is unlikely that for your first match, you'll be directly in the running for 1st place.  :)  As such, just bring equipment good enough to try it out, and concentrate on safely navigating the courses of fire.  AFTER you've tried it and have a better idea of what it is like, you can think about changing your equipment around.

Here's what a match looks like, from one perspective.  (Ignore my poor shotgun loading skills!)

Here's another one:

And also like he said---if you decide to shoot, just let the registration person know this is your first time, make sure to show up for the safety briefing at 8:40, and when you get to your squad, tell your RO that you are new to this.  They'll help out.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:33:52 PM »

Thanks for the offer guys I can't make it up this weekend even thought I would really like to... And thanks alt jthhapkido for posting the videos NOW I want to come shot even more!

Equipment wise....
1. AR built... Needs a 1x4 or 6 scope... right now I have a cheap cheap red dot on it.
2. Pistol I could really use a third mag even though the first two will cover the 35 if I +1 it... I am working with Kydex right now. Need to sit down and actually make something for myself... ::)
3. I know I am new to the game but I would really like to pick up a Stoeger M3000.... Right now it is just on my dream list... maybe by the fall matches I might have one.... Until the old 500 will to do some work... I am going to try out some kydex shell caddies I have seen. I would like to maybe set up some Load2/4 so I can start practicing.

Really the next thing I need to purchase besides a scope is a Shooting belt. I am pretty low budget right now with a new my new baby boy... I would like to get a blade tech but that isn't in my budget right now. I found some on amazon that are cheaper and reached out to the company but they are not available yet in my size... sucks being big and tall... ;D So I am kicking around a uncle mikes duty belt with the inner belt. I am probably getting to hung up on equipment but I like to be decently prepared when I try something new

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 11:18:06 PM »
Just a couple of comments, feel free to ignore them completely...

Equipment wise....
1. AR built... Needs a 1x4 or 6 scope... right now I have a cheap cheap red dot on it.

Red dot or irons puts you in Limited division, against other people who have dots or irons.  Not a problem!

2. Pistol I could really use a third mag even though the first two will cover the 35 if I +1 it... I am working with Kydex right now. Need to sit down and actually make something for myself... ::)

If you have a third mag, you can always stick in a pocket, in case you need it.  :)

3. I know I am new to the game but I would really like to pick up a Stoeger M3000.... Right now it is just on my dream list... maybe by the fall matches I might have one.... Until the old 500 will to do some work... I am going to try out some kydex shell caddies I have seen. I would like to maybe set up some Load2/4 so I can start practicing.

If you are buying a shotgun specifically for Multigun, you are going to want one with a tube that gives you at least 8+1 rounds.  (Even larger tubes are good also.)  While there are several MG-capable shotguns out there, it is very true that a Mossberg 930 JM Pro is multigun-ready out of the box.  Fiber optic front, 8+1 or 9+1 tube (depending on which model you get), semi-auto action, tends to feed everything---and the cost is similar (or at least, not much more) than the Stoeger.  Particularly since you don't have to buy an extended mag tube for it.

Really the next thing I need to purchase besides a scope is a Shooting belt. I am pretty low budget right now with a new my new baby boy... I would like to get a blade tech but that isn't in my budget right now. I found some on amazon that are cheaper and reached out to the company but they are not available yet in my size... sucks being big and tall... ;D So I am kicking around a uncle mikes duty belt with the inner belt. I am probably getting to hung up on equipment but I like to be decently prepared when I try something new

When starting out, again, you might just come and shoot one.  After doing that, you'll have a better idea what works well, what you might need, and what common choices are.  (For example, CR Speed belts are probably the most common, followed by Safariland and DAA belts.  Safariland for serious MG shooters, CR Speed and DAA for folks who tend to shoot more straight pistol-only matches, and who ALSO do multigun.) 

You can manage it with a regular, decent leather belt from Walmart.   After you try it, you'll have a better idea of what you will need

And like I said, feel free to ignore all that.  :) 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:09:32 AM »
You can manage it with a regular, decent leather belt from Walmart.   After you try it, you'll have a better idea of what you will need

I used a plain leather belt for a couple of years before I sprung for a CR Speed.  It works, it's just that a 2-layer competition belt is more comfortable and convenient.

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
(Be warned---the second MG match of the year, in April, will be using the 300m range, so know your dope from 5 yards out to 300m by April!) 

Unfortunately, I won't make it tomorrow. But for us sorry souls that use irons or an RDS, what size targets are to be engaged at 300 yards in April?  And will the 100 yard range be active on the same day?

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 10:06:41 PM »
Just a couple of comments, feel free to ignore them completely...

I will take all the comments, tips, tricks, and general BS that you will give me! ;D

I have been following some Stoeger Reviews on some other sites and for a poor mans Benelli people are loving them. To see some of the top names in 3 Gun Nation Pro Series indorse this rifle as a budget gun means a lot to me personally.

This is my thoughts with no real experience with either gun just what I have read on the opinionet and what I have come to conclusions with...

The Mossberg can be a really nice gun but can have issues from the factory that can cause the gun to be unreliable and problemmatic. One of the main issues is keeping the piston system clean during long hard use. I would probably never have a issue with this but you never know.  The JM Pro does have pretty much everything that you need out of the box. It seems to be the cheapest race ready shotgun on the market. I have never really priced them out but I just did a kick google search and it turns up around $650 so around
$700 after shipping and transfers.

The Stoeger is a inertia driven gun which has its pros and cons... It is could have more recoil then the Mossberg and might be more picky on light ammo choices(have not shot so I don't know). because of the inertia set up it should keep running even with high round counts and could allow more fudge for cleaning. The stoeger is not race ready. But I kind of like that personally... I don't get to build and fiddle with stuff as much as I use to because of my nonunion status... So the Stoeger is a fun project for me. Lincoln Scheels has them for $499 but had a special for $449. A Nordic tube to get it out to 10+1 or so is about $75. They already have a Fiber front sight... could be replaced with something better. The loading port does need some work... but that's the part I like and enjoy playing with... So by the time I am all said and done putting some other non essential upgrades on it I think I should be setting the same or less then the Mossberg...

Is the Stoeger a better gun the Mossberg... I have no clue but I want one :P

My red dot needs to be upgraded.... but its good to know I can get away with it. Not sure I could hit anything out at 300 with it  :laugh:

I'll look into walmart... I honestly need a new belt anyway I have been looking around a little MAYBE I can find something thick enough to support all the weight.

THANK YOU FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME! Happy safe shooting!

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »
Unfortunately, I won't make it tomorrow. But for us sorry souls that use irons or an RDS, what size targets are to be engaged at 300 yards in April?  And will the 100 yard range be active on the same day?

We won't be using the 100-yard range next month---it'll be open to the general membership.  (We are planning on trading the 100 yard and 300 meter ranges throughout the year for our MG matches.  Each time, the other range will be open to members for general shooting.)

At 300 meters---be able to hit a 12" round plate.  If that sounds bad, talk to SeanN, who ASSURES me that he is better with his dot than with a scope.  :)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
Want to try one of these.  Must get AR :'( 

Don't know if a 9mm carbine would work, pretty sure it wouldn't for 300 but might for 100. ???

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 06:35:46 PM »
Outstanding to see everyone at the range today---we had 49 shooters for the match, which is now the current record for "most shooters at a Multigun match" since I started keeping stats in 2006.  (And since in 2006, a "large match" averaged out at 20 shooters, I think we are growing nicely!)

Betsworth DESTROYED us all---he got first overall, and the second-place shooter had 69.863% of his score!  Yeah, well, that is what happens when us hobby shooters go against a 3-Gun Nation Pro-type shooter.  :)

As usual, the match results will be available via the ENPS website at http://easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com, but they are also available on Practiscore.com at https://practiscore.com/results/?uuid=fea0453f-18cd-499b-b8fd-db9466b9d37a

(Note:  the Practiscore website is have some database issues today, so if you can't get to that link, just wait a little and the ENPS website will have them also as soon as our web guy recovers from the RO class he finished this morning.)

Remember, next month's Multigun match will include a stage on the 300m range instead of the 100yd range---so make sure you know your rifle zero from 5 yards out to 300m.  (You'll need to hit a 12" plate at 300 yards...twice...)

Remember:  IDPA classifier this Saturday, Pro-Am match in two weeks, and a USPSA match the week after that--so get practicing with your handguns!

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 07:45:01 PM »

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 07:50:36 PM »
Wow, for my first shoot of this type I am very surprised to receive second place in my class.
KD0LKT