< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Costco  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Bachlorjoe

• NFOA Full Member
Costco
« on: March 08, 2014, 05:19:08 PM »
So from what I understand, when you sign up for a membership you are agreeing not to carry. So they do not put signs up. I still go there about once a month and I do carry, but I am not a member my wife is. I have not agreed to their policies and there is no sign up so I don't see why I can't walk right on in as my wife's guest.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: Costco
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »
I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, but my thinking is if a store is not playing by the letter, and the intent of the law, they have no way of blocking people from being law abiding.  No sign on the door, no restrictions?  Not that simple?

If a store sends everyone in the state a certified letter saying to stay out with Concealed carry, and does not place a simple sign on entry doors, saying no Concealed Carry, what weight would the Certified letters hold?

Statute 69-2441 (2) says the notice can be made "directly".    I have not been teaching this in my CHP classes, but I guess, maybe I should add that. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:21:38 PM by Gary »

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »
Hahaha.  Catch me if you can!  I don't think that there would be anything legally enforceable on you...
I would also imagine that they would give you a warning before suspending your membership. I almost switched to Costco before I entered the ccw lifestyle....not now! Sams club all day!
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »
Regardless of the law, if it's clear the business doesn't want anyone carrying then that ought to be respected.  It's one thing if it's not properly signed and people inadvertently carry into the store, but to just ignore the wishes of the ownership because seems disrespectful to me.  I've been a member at COSTCO for 20 years.  There are some good deals in there and I enjoy shopping there.  It's no big deal to leave my handgun in the car when I go there.   If I felt otherwise, I would simply refrain from shopping there rather than play amateur gun lawyer.   Just because you can get away with it doesn't mean you should, IMO.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 04:41:03 PM »
Regardless of the law, if it's clear the business doesn't want anyone carrying then that ought to be respected.

Which is why I respect their wishes and won't spend a single dollar in their stores to help them further denigrate the Second Amendment.  NO GUNS, NO MONEY.  Sam's Club, by the way, has no issue with those who wish to be able to protect themselves while in their stores.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:54:19 PM »
From another forum:

"""""""emailed my question to Bev Akada in Costco’s corporate communications office.

Her assistant replied:

Hi Max,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Costco’s policy prohibits weapons within our buildings.

All the best,

PJ (Peggy-Jo) Faria"""""""

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 08:26:46 PM »
Which is why I respect their wishes and won't spend a single dollar in their stores to help them further denigrate the Second Amendment.  NO GUNS, NO MONEY.  Sam's Club, by the way, has no issue with those who wish to be able to protect themselves while in their stores.

Toby you took the words right out of my mouth.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 09:07:40 PM »
I agree with the "no guns, no money" mantra, but let's note conflate this with the Second Amendment. Private property owners are free to prohibit weapons and we are free to shop elsewhere.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »
I agree with the "no guns, no money" mantra, but let's note conflate this with the Second Amendment. Private property owners are free to prohibit weapons and we are free to shop elsewhere.
Exactly.  I have no problem if people choose to bring their dollars elsewhere.  That's a fundamental right.  I believe there's room in our society for people with differing values.  If the marketplace supports their position, then they will succeed.  For me, the value provided by Costco overrides the marginal risk i incur by shopping unarmed. 

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 11:55:02 PM »
All we need to do is get 'gun owners' recognized as a minority group...

In most states, a no gun sign is enforceable...some could result in criminal charges & others don't...I did a little research & found that in Florida the signs aren't legally enforceable under their CHL provisions....

However stores  aren't allowed to refuse service based on how someone is dressed, their religion, sexual orientation, skin color, age, or even how stinky a person is without being labeled as being in the wrong....or sued by the ACLU!

I personally don't fully agree with the stores rights argument...what about the rights of the individual? And why is it ok to make stores comply with thousands of regulations, tax codes, required signage for other things, no smoking in their store, right to refuse service, etc.....but guns is where it flips back to 'store owners rights'....

Either way I won't be going to Costco ever again & they are building a New Sams Location on 72nd & Cornhusker so....carry on!

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:19:25 AM by jFade »
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 04:00:16 AM »
There is no shortage of gun friendly stores to support out there.   
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 05:47:29 AM »

Notice I didn't say "infringe" on my 2A rights.  I said denigrate.  Costco doesn't give a damn about our right to defend ourselves.  They'd rather call the cops, tell them lies about how we're tearing up the store and waving guns around (when we're not) and get us killed in their parking lot.  I've probably mentioned it half a dozen times on here before, research the case of Erik Scott and Costco.  I'd prefer not to end up dead like Erik simply because I shopped at a store that doesn't care about my right to self-defense.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 08:21:43 AM »
I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, but my thinking is if a store is not playing by the letter, and the intent of the law, they have no way of blocking people from being law abiding.  No sign on the door, no restrictions?  Not that simple?

If a store sends everyone in the state a certified letter saying to stay out with Concealed carry, and does not place a simple sign on entry doors, saying no Concealed Carry, what weight would the Certified letters hold?

Statute 69-2441 (2) says the notice can be made "directly".    I have not been teaching this in my CHP classes, but I guess, maybe I should add that. 

Did you stay at the Holiday Inn Express?

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 09:18:07 AM »
Notice I didn't say "infringe" on my 2A rights.  I said denigrate.  Costco doesn't give a damn about our right to defend ourselves.  They'd rather call the cops, tell them lies about how we're tearing up the store and waving guns around (when we're not) and get us killed in their parking lot.  I've probably mentioned it half a dozen times on here before, research the case of Erik Scott and Costco.  I'd prefer not to end up dead like Erik simply because I shopped at a store that doesn't care about my right to self-defense.

"like"
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.