< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My *Completed* AR-15  (Read 2416 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
My *Completed* AR-15
« on: September 03, 2009, 11:11:37 PM »
So she's finally done (or at least for now until Black Rifle Disease kicks in again). New Daniel Defense Omega 2 piece free float rail on the front and replaced the commercial buffer tube with a milspec one (yeah, I know, probably unnecessary). Also picked up an H2 buffer because I keep hearing piston guns LOVE the heavier buffers. Also since I've been drinking the AR15.com koolaid I went and staked my castle nut, only took a minute or two and it supposedly really helps keep the buffer tube on... Obligatory pics! Last one is me wearing all my multicam stuff holding it, haha. Now I need to spend my money training with it instead of on the gun.  :P

Parts for those that are curious:
Bushmaster XM15 Gas Piston Rifle:
-Bushmaster 16" barrel with A2 Birdcage Flash Suppressor
-Bravo Company USA stock kit (buffer tube, H2 buffer, spring, milspec m4 6 position stock)
-Command Arms Pistol Grip
-Yankee Hill Machine Flip-up Front Sight
-GG&G Back Up Iron Sight
-EOTech 552 Night-vision compatible holosight
-Daniel Defense Omega Large Diameter 7" Piston Rail
-GG&G Vertical Foregrip
-Surefire 6P flashlight with Tactical Nightvision Company 256 lumen drop-in LED kit on GG&G ring mount
-Specter 3pt Tactical Sling w/ quick release for weak side transitions

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:24:41 PM by Krylancelo »

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: My *Completed* AR-15
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 06:46:32 AM »
Very nice job on the build. I just finished my first AR project so at least I was able to understand your listing for the parts involved and the time and effort you put into it. Not bad for a guy who has spent the last few years building several AK platform weapons from parts kits. Decided to go for a DCM/CMP AR to try something diffrent. Got to say it was fun and I am looking forward to loading for, shooting and getting to know the rifle and round. Maybe a bit of competetion shooting this next year. Your tatical gear is interesting too from an old AK nut point of view as the type of field equipment usually associated with those rifles is a ragged t-shirt, shorts, sandals and a dirty baseball hat. Just kidding a bit. Good luck with the training and I hope your rifle delivers the preformance you are looking for. It certinly looks as if it should. Any suggestions for loads in the AR for DCM type shooting?   

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:37:10 AM »
Any suggestions for loads in the AR for DCM type shooting?   

If you're talking hand loads, unfortunately I don't have much advice for you... From what I've gathered it seems like the Sierra Matchking heavier grain bullets (77gr+) are the way to go for accuracy in .223/5.56. Many people have reported sub MoA 3 and even some 5 shot groups at 100+ yards. It's also what the US Army Match team uses. The army team uses Black Hills bullets, which are considered to be some of the best.

Not sure if this was what you were looking for, but I hope it helps! As far as training, I've got a lot to learn... I spent more money on my rifle than training so far, if you know what I mean, haha. Stupid BRD...

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:03:48 PM »
Every bit of information is a help when your just learning. You have echoed the opinions I have read else where on using the heavier bullets for target work. I have a small supply of 55 gr Wolf plinking ammo but will not shoot it as I see it as stash/rainyday stuff and some factory reloaded 55 gr fodder to start shooting and get on paper. After that I will most likely stick to my own loads. I am thinking of something like the Hornady 68 grain VMax or 77 grain AMax to start with. At any rate I am looking forward to getting started.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 10:09:30 PM »
The 75gr Amax is too long to load to magazine length.

Picture by Molon @ ar15.com from the reloading FAQ's http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=406

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 08:47:26 AM »
Yeah Dan, that doesn't look like it would work too well.  :o

Krylancelo, nice looking rifle.
I'm looking into getting one of those drop-in bulbs for my 6p as well.  How do you like it?  Battery life?  How much $ ?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 08:53:58 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 11:49:12 AM »
Krylancelo, nice looking rifle.
I'm looking into getting one of those drop-in bulbs for my 6p as well.  How do you like it?  Battery life?  How much $ ?

Thanks. :)

The drop in is pretty awesome. It is SUPER bright. It actually caught me by surprise. It was dark and I put the bulb in and shined it at the wall 15 feet away and basically temporarily blinded myself from the reflection off the wall. :o I shined it outside my apartment and you can see a darn good distance with it. I'd say I was able to get very noticeable light and could identify things as far as 75-100 yards away. It makes a great outside or large area inside tactical light. They run on average 2-3 hours of continuous use.

You can find them here: http://www.tacticalnightvision.com/illumination.htm

That said, I'm probably going to pick up another Surefire 6P LED and leave it with the Surefire LED drop-in as it gets about 11 hours of runtime and I think it would be a better all-around night search light for movement at night. It isn't quite as bright, but if you run a really bright light for a long period of time it's basically a beacon yelling "IM OVER HERE!" so I think I want something a little low key for an all-purpose flashlight. If I required a tactical light to blind someone, spot a target with strobing, or identify something at long range I'd switch to the one on my rifle with the TNVC drop-in.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 11:53:28 AM by Krylancelo »