< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Source for Red Dot Powder (Omaha Area)?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Source for Red Dot Powder (Omaha Area)?
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:00:57 PM »
My 8# Jug of Red Dot is Running Down.............

Guns Unlimited and Scheels shelves are bare.   Cabelas likewise.

Anyone know of a source for Red Dot with 1/2 hour or so of Omaha??

4# or 8# quantities preferred, but like the Homely Girl at the Dance, not gonna be all that picky.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
Re: Source for Red Dot Powder (Omaha Area)?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »
Isnt Promo the same thing? Have you tried looking for that?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »
On My Powder Burn Rate Chart, Red Dot is #13; Promo is #15.   So they are almost identical in burn rate.

I don't know if they are essentially the same under different distributor names, like Win231/HP38 (handgun powders).   Could be.   My RCBS Shotshell Reloading Book doesn't mention Promo that I can see.   However, it wouldn't be that hard to run down Promo recipes for 1oz lite traploads.   Probably identical to Red Dot.

If........you could find Promo anywhere.

However...... None of the stores in the area carry Promo, either.

I just received a PM suggesting a Forum Group Buy, which has possibilities.   Also, I received a lead on 8# of 700-X, which is listed in my reloading manual and seems to take 1oz loads almost identical to Red Dot.   (You are catching on to the fact that I don't really want to change my MEC setup, even a measly powder bushing.   Might not have the right bushing in the bushing drawer.)

My suggesting to any trapshooters/reloaders is grab a large jug of your favorite powder whenever you see it.   Scheels guy told me that they've had Aliant powders on back order for months.   (Guns Unlimited got an order of Hodgdon powders last week.   Much of it gone already.)

FWIW...........

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 03:54:06 PM »
My 8# Jug of Red Dot is Running Down.............

Guns Unlimited and Scheels shelves are bare.   Cabelas likewise.

Anyone know of a source for Red Dot with 1/2 hour or so of Omaha??

4# or 8# quantities preferred, but like the Homely Girl at the Dance, not gonna be all that picky.

sfg

Are you on the GU email list? 

Also, sorry, I just picked up some primers at the gun show today and I could have scored you a big jug of Red Dot from 3Lees.  www.3lees.com   Wouldn't have see n he had it but some guy was complaining he could find Red Dot and Blue Dot but no Green Dot. 
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 08:19:06 PM »
3Lees got me into my original reloading.

Back when I shot prairie dogs w/.223Rem, I bought those rounds from 3Lees by the case at gun shows.  Eventually wound up w/bucketsfull of MT brass.   Decided to start reloading.

I'm gonna head out that way for Snow Goose hunting soon if I can find an outfitter.   And may just stop by 3Lees to check on the availability of Red Dot.

Thanks for the Tip.

And yes, I am on GU's mailing list.   It's just that they've been......so quiet.

sfg

Offline MHicks

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 01:29:05 PM »
SemperFiGuy,

I wondered about the relationship between Red Dot and Promo.  I sent an email to Alliant and and got a reply which I deleted a couple weeks ago.  The ballistic tech said they are identical in burn rate but Promo must be used by weight in comparison to Red Dot.

From my understanding Promo is the Red Dot powder that doesn't meet Red Dot specs exactly.  Those specs being size, shape etc.  If you can find some get it.  I use it interchangeably with Red Dot.  The load data I have looked up on Alliant's site even has the same info for both. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 02:52:21 PM »
Roger That.

After the previous discussion, I checked out Promo in some detail and found information that coincides with the information you just provided.   Plus it's supposed to be less expensive than Red Dot.

So.............

I'd like to get some Promo and try it just for the sake of doing so and see if there's any discernible difference between it, Red Dot, factory loads, and anything else I've used.

FWIW, whenever I try different powders and loads, whatever, it always seems to me that they just go BANG! like everything else, the leads on the bird don't change, and there's not a whole lot of difference.

However, when I read the reloading forums, the pros always are pointing out the nuances between loadings.

Guess I need Sensitivity Training.

[If you see Promo or Red Dot, give a shout.]

sfg