< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: EMT Course?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
EMT Course?
« on: September 04, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »
I really want to take an EMT training course or another first aid training course. I realized while I was thinking about it the other day I have virtually no knowledge on how to properly treat a serious wound or even fashion a splint. I think this would be invaluable knowledge if something catastrophic were to happen and it may just let me save someone's life. So if you guys have any info on a place to take a class or if you could recommend anything I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: EMT Course?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:58:22 PM »
EMT classes require 120+ Hours that 2 classes a week @ 3 hours for app. 5 months, and can be found through Metro tech Community College Omaha area and possably South East Community College @ Lincoln.

There are other classes with lesser hour requirements such as:
First Responder and Basic First Aid these both along with CPR are very good entry level classes.
Personally, I recommend that all individuals should be trained at minimum in Basic First Aid + CPR.

I volunteered for 10 years as an EMT for Plattsmouth Fire and Rescue Department. (era 1988-1998)

Jim P. is our latest Certified EMT and has completed his schooling in the last year perhaps he will give any additional information that I may have missed.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 06:18:10 PM »
Well, it may require a good amount of time but I think I would learn a lot more... And sometime that knowledge might save my own life or someone else's.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the always helpful information, Randy. :)

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:07:38 PM »
I am a certified First Responder and it took quite a little class room time. Well worth it however. We have to attend continuing ed classes to retain our certification on a yearly basis. Many of those classes are very applicable to a person that may need to begin preliminary treatment of gunshot or knife wounds. Consult your local community college or fire station, they should have a schedule of when these free classes are put on.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 08:55:42 PM »
About 4 years ago I decided to become an EMT for the fire dept. It took about 6 months to do it and the continuing ed seems to take alot of time. However I don't regret that I took it. The knowledge, the training, and the peace of mind that I can handle a few more situations that may arise was well worth it. I took my training thru southeast. I believe that metro is also starting a team of instructors. And several of the hospitals around were tossing around starting a program of their own. (not sure what ever came of it but to my knowledge UNMC, and creighton were just about to go active with their programs not sure if they did) There are plenty of options for the classes. Just be ready to devote time to it to keep it current and remember that if you don't use it you lose it. Not trying to discourage you but trying to be honest about what it is going to entail.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 11:28:29 PM »
I appreciate the info and honesty. It's something I've always wanted to do. I don't know if I'd make it a profession, I'm not quite as brave as some of you. But I definitely want to know how to help.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »
"It took about 6 months to do it and the continuing ed seems to take alot of time."

Yep.  I went most every Saturday between October and March for 8 hours of classroom instruction.  Several exams by the instructor, and lots of practical evals by current EMTs.......  THEN took a National Registry Exam and THEN applied for a State of Nebraska  Liscense........ a huge investment in terms of time and money.

I did this through my local Volunteer Fire Dept. - all members are required to be EMT-B as a minimum.  I had to write a check for the class and one for the National Registry Exam....... and I get reimbursed IF I passed the class and make enough calls to remain on the Dept. ....... and sometime in the next 14 months, I have to take Firefighting I class, which I understand has just gotten longer/more expensive...................

All that said, I would do it again in a second.  Good Stuff to know.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 02:23:55 AM »
I have been working on Firefighter I for awhile now. Seems there aren't many classes I can actually get to.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 07:08:45 AM »
I appreciate the info and honesty. It's something I've always wanted to do. I don't know if I'd make it a profession, I'm not quite as brave as some of you. But I definitely want to know how to help.

Bravery's got nothing to do with it.  Training.  At crunch time, you will not "rise to the occasion"...... you will sink to the level of your training.

Knowing what to do will save a life long enough that a doctor can deal with it if he has to.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »
There are times when I think stupidity plays more of a role than bravery honestly.  ;D

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 12:06:25 PM »
You might also check into a CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) course.   This is funded through Homeland Security dollars.  Covered over 2-3 weekends in Omaha, and the best part is it's......FREE !!!!

www.easternnebraskacert.com

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 01:02:31 PM »
I've been wanting to take that course, but my weekends seem to be busier than my weekdays. ???
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 02:11:05 PM »
I did the CERT in March of 2008. Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday. This was some of the best training I have ever had. It is good to have as you never know when you may need it.

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 05:08:02 PM »
I'm taking CERT training here in Lincoln, Sept 25-27.  There's probably room if anybody's interested. PM me if you want info