< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Need some help in English  (Read 1947 times)

Offline mathew2172

• Forum Member
Need some help in English
« on: March 21, 2014, 07:02:26 AM »
Ok so my new job allows me to carry why working. I need it spelled out in english what i need to do. I live in Sarpy County but the job would be in Omaha. All the help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Need some help in English
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:33:57 AM »
1. based on omaha law you'll need to pay your gun tax, so you'll need to register your handgun with the city of omaha... i don't like it any more than you do.

2. you'll need your carry permit

am i missing anything?

or you could always call the police department and ask, i know i know state law says state patrol is in charge of this stuff, i know, but the city knows better..... ::)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:38:10 AM by landon410 »

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:46:16 AM »
1. based on omaha law you'll need to pay your gun tax, so you'll need to register your handgun with the city of omaha... i don't like it any more than you do.

2. you'll need your carry permit

am i missing anything?

or you could always call the police department and ask, i know i know state law says state patrol is in charge of this stuff, i know, but the city knows better..... ::)

I was under the impression you only had to register if you DID NOT have a carry permit.
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:51:37 AM »
Ok so my new job allows me to carry why working. I need it spelled out in english what i need to do. I live in Sarpy County but the job would be in Omaha. All the help would be greatly appreciated!

Download and look over this, it's the form with notes:

https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/media/10109/ccwnsp1710application.pdf

Prerequisite:
* make sure your drivers license is current (ie: current address).
* you will need your real deal birth certificate or a passport (expired is fine)
* 2 proof of address things (utility bills, bank statements, etc)
* photograph (i don't recall how i got mine)

1) get a pistol you're comfortable carrying (and make sure you're familiar with how it operates)
2) get a holster that you're comfortable carrying
3) get about $200 to $250 together for costs, cash is good.
4) spend 1 or 2 days taking a CCW course
5) your CCW course will give you further instructions... but...
6) complete the CCW application and get it notarized (your CCW teacher should provide you with one, and usually notarize it for you too)
7) you'll basically need to take your completed CCW course paperwork to 108th and I (eye) ST (troop A) in Omaha (closest to you).  The door you enter will be facing south. You'll walk up some stairs to your immediate right after entering the door and talk to a nice individual.
8 ) I don't recall if finger printing was done when you hand in the paper work or if it was done before hand.  At any rate, getting it done early probably doesn't hurt.  Call (402) 331-3333 to talk to someone about it.  While you're getting printed ($10 if i recall correctly), pay an extra $5 and get a second copy of prints just in case.

You only need to register your pistol with Omaha if you will be taking your CCW class in Omaha ... or if you bought the pistol in Omaha (before getting your CCW obviously).  There are lots of teachers that offer lots of classes outside of Omaha.  Once you have your CCW permit, you no longer need to worry about registering pistols with Omaha.

If you follow my route - don't forget to roll / flip your truck on gravel roads after completing the live fire part of the CCW testing hehehehe
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:56:16 AM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:59:44 AM »
ah you're right.... duh. I had registered my carry gun because obviously i had it before i took my ccw class.
you are right, but any questions at all just call the 5.0 they'll tell ya, most of them are good people

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »

Open carry or concealed?

I am assuming you mean concealed, but just in case, there are differences in OMA.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 03:33:43 PM »

My condolences. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline mathew2172

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 02:10:59 PM »
Not looking for CCW, but for open carry.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »
Not looking for CCW, but for open carry.

Would have been nice to know that to start with...
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 02:41:23 AM »

I take it you are working armed security or for an armored car service?  Your employers will let you know what their particular requirements are.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 04:22:29 AM »
If........

You're going to OC in Omaha, you'll need an Omaha Handgun Identification Card, which is what Omaha calls their Open Carry Permit.

You can get one at the National Safety Council = Nebraska in Omaha.

You'll need to take an 8-hour course, including range qualification.   About the same as the Concealed Handgun Permit course.

Call Shaley Kaufman:   402 898-7348 or skaufman@SafeNebraska.org.

See you there.

sfg
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:26:02 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer