< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Airsoft Training  (Read 2065 times)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Airsoft Training
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:33:17 PM »
I would like to get a airsoft pistol for some cheap indoor training. Does anyone have suggestions on brands? I own a Ruger SR9 and they don't make a replica that I can find... I like the feel of a M&P and the XD but I don't see either of those in the near future. My goal is to practice at home drawing, finding the sights,and trigger pull.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Airsoft Training
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »
I presume you're familiar with dry fire practice? You can pull the trigger on an empty chamber all day -- and you don't have to pick up bb's. :) You get used to the same gun and trigger; without the bang.

In any case, I really like the idea of airsoft replicas that have a blow-back design. If you can find one that is "close enough" to what you carry (the trigger is not going to be the same), you can load it with gas and the "recoil" will pull your sight picture off (ever so slightly) and give you practice re-aligning your sights. However, I'm sure there's a disadvantage to that -- someone is bound to point it out.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:52:42 PM »
Yes I know and do dry fire practice. I should do more but I get bored easily haha[emoji6]. I think airsoft would be better practice then no practice and could fill some of empty spots in my shooting soul!

I would like to hear arguments against them or for them!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:06:48 AM »
Airsoft is an excellent training tool, we use them regularly in our reality behavior based scenarios.

At home they allow you to work a number of drills. Moving, drawing and firing, shooting from retention, cover and so on. Just observe the usual safety precautions as they can damage walls, furniture and people.

The most realistic pistols will be the gas blowback type. I own a couple of the KSC Glock 19s. They work great and are surprisingly accurate.

All of my purchases have been online from airsplat.com

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »
I also use & recommend KSC pistols from airsplat.com. I find the ones that hold up best are the gas blowback PTPs' (Personal Training Pistols).
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:48:10 AM »
Sometime when you are in Omaha, Check out Omaha Air Tactical.  There isn't much in the way of replicas they can't find!  They have even built an indoor training facility. I haven't been in to see it, but the pics look awesome.
They are located just off 680 and Blair High Road.  (OAT donated replica pistol and AR for our booth at the Women's Expo a couple years ago)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:58:37 AM »
Airsofters catch a lot of greif but they put there "plastic" guns through harder work then a lot of people do with the real ones.

Some videos from the 7scenarios in Omaha
http://www.7scenariosairsoft.com/#!video-reel/caqu

I have found a full size M&P...
http://www.blowbackarmory.net/product_p/we-mp-black.htm

But I also so that the KSC offers a XD for about the same price...
http://www.airsplat.com/Items/GP-WE-XDM-TAN.htm

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
I have a fairly extensive collection of airsofts - its another hobby of mine that I do quite a bit. Although not as much a training aid as a fun way to get out and do something.  I have 5 rifles and 10 pistols. The PTP is probably as said a close replica as you can get to a real firearm but I still don't really feel like it is a great training tool (for me). I can see how it would be useful in decision making/scenario training to get you thinking about how to react in a dynamic situation.  However I still don't think I would utilize it as a stand in for training on my real guns - the trigger is just so completely different and the small blowback and just overall functional differences make it too far of a reach for me.

$.02

[shamelessplug]
If you're interested in talking airsoft more in depth there is a great group of local people at http://forum.airsoftnebraska.com
[/shamelessplug]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:21:18 AM by Jesse T »
N0ZXR

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 11:37:45 AM »
I have a fairly extensive collection of airsofts - its another hobby of mine that I do quite a bit. Although not as much a training aid as a fun way to get out and do something.  I have 5 rifles and 10 pistols. The PTP is probably as said a close replica as you can get to a real firearm but I still don't really feel like it is a great training tool (for me). I can see how it would be useful in decision making/scenario training to get you thinking about how to react in a dynamic situation.  However I still don't think I would utilize it as a stand in for training on my real guns - the trigger is just so completely different and the small blowback and just overall functional differences make it too far of a reach for me.

$.02

[shamelessplug]
If you're interested in talking airsoft more in depth there is a great group of local people at http://forum.airsoftnebraska.com
[/shamelessplug]

Thanks Jesse right now I don't need another hobby... thought it does kind of look like it could be some fun. I know the trigger pull is not the same but I can use practice drawing and obtaining a sight picture. Sure I can do this with my SR9 but my thought is why not throw some fun into it. By setting up several BB Traps up in my garage. 

Offline mikkojay

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
Have you ever considered a laser snap-cap and a hit detection software package?
I am an application developer and at one time considered making my own, so my first step was to research it to see what already exists in the market.

The general idea is to use a snap-cap that generates a short laser dot upon being struck by the firing pin.  An application running on a laptop uses a webcam to take a continuous series of bitmap samples while pointed at the target area.  A detection algorithm is then used to isolate/find any potential "bright red dots" and record their x/y coordinates within the target area.

The nice thing about this is that you get to use your actual firearm and it is completely passive.  The timing reaction and location of shot can also be recorded very accurately.

Here is an example I found on the web, it may have also been mentioned on this site before at one time:
http://www.centrolutions.com/products/lasr-laser-activated-shot-reporter
I am not associated with the above link and have not tried it (i.e. cannot endorse), but it will give you the general idea.  Not sure this would work for what you are looking for, but I think it looks pretty neat.

Thanks, Mike

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 01:11:44 PM »
The most realistic pistols will be the gas blowback type. I own a couple of the KSC Glock 19s. They work great and are surprisingly accurate.

All of my purchases have been online from airsplat.com

- Shawn

Yikes!  I can build an actual AR for the price of one of theirs.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
MWTS site sponsor sells a package...

http://www.mwts-training.com/LASR

Edit---- Same stuff sorry

I have looked into it but that's about it. Maybe I should look into it more. Start up cost would be more but maintaince cost would be a lot less. One thing I am not sure about is if my old laptop has the capability...

taptalk is making my NFOA attention a lot higher...   ;D Might have to turn off the notifications.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »
Yikes!  I can build an actual AR for the price of one of theirs.

Crazy isn't it...

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 06:26:42 PM »
MWTS site sponsor sells a package...

http://www.mwts-training.com/LASR

Edit---- Same stuff sorry

I have looked into it but that's about it. Maybe I should look into it more. Start up cost would be more but maintaince cost would be a lot less. One thing I am not sure about is if my old laptop has the capability...

taptalk is making my NFOA attention a lot higher...   ;D Might have to turn off the notifications.
Mr. Wallace is one of the purveyors of this system. I have used it. (the company has given the NFOA a set-up to use at booths/expos/ etc) And I can tell ya it's a bunch of fun. No bbs to clean up, etc.  You can get a dedicated SIRT pistol or laser inserts for your carry pistol/ rifle/ shotgun. 
I will say I was a little iffy about it at first, but after a weekend of toying with it, I will say I do think it has merit.  (So do MANY Law Enforcement agencies- just sayin' )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane