< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: UTAH Permit Letter - WTH???  (Read 1106 times)

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
UTAH Permit Letter - WTH???
« on: March 26, 2014, 12:10:16 PM »
So I recieved my utah permit in the mail along with this letter:

"Dear Concealed Firearm Permit Holder:

You have been issued a concealed firearm permit by the Utah Department of Public Safety, this permit is valid contingent on a satisfactory criminal history report being received from the FBI.  You will be notified if the fingerprints are rejected, or of a revocation if the FBI criminal history report contains information of a disqualifying nature."

The letter goes on from there telling how to destroy the old permit, etc.  (Yes, the letter has the end of the first sentence in bold block letters just as I typed it).  So, my question is this:  Why would UTAH issue me a permit prior to checking my criminal history with the FBI? 

If they did the FBI background check, then why put in that they dont have the results from the FBI, and if they didnt recieve the results, what are they doing sending out CCW permits?

No biggie for me, but just seems like a strange way of going about it.

66bigblock

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: UTAH Permit Letter - WTH???
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 12:15:36 PM »
Maybe they are obligated by state law to issue the permit in X number of days, and they are too understaffed to get it done in that time.

Just a guess.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »
I believe they are under a time limit (there were issues a couple years ago and if my memory serves correct they added a time limit to the legislation) and the hold up on the FBI background check could be Utah not getting it requested timely all the way to the FBI taking it's time in doing the check.  Technically Nebraska's law has the same requirement but we have seen the NSP violate that time requirement as they see fit.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:34:27 AM »
Mine said the very same thing.
And yes, they are required to issue within a certain time, but have the option to yank it should you not have kept your nose as clean as you stated.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane