< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Returned from California  (Read 1030 times)

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
Returned from California
« on: March 30, 2014, 12:07:07 PM »
Just got back from a week long adventure.  I must have been soft in the head, but I agreed to drive a UHaul to California to move my son to Newport Beach from Omaha.

I don't know if any of you have ever been through New Mexico or Arizona in the spring but just a word-- DON'T GO

Only one place in NM we got gas with credit card without prepay.  Yes, prepay with a credit card. 

Apparently everyone in NM is a drunk loser who won't pay for gas.  Signs everywhere to report drunk drivers and more makeshift memorial crosses along the road than you can shake a stick at.

Drivers in Albuqurque are just plain crazy and if you think the wind blows in Nebraska, think again...

Was stuck in Winslow Arizona for 12 hours waiting out a sand storm.  60 mile an hour winds and a Uhaul do not mix.  I think I still have sand in places I can't get to.

But arriving in Newport Beach made it worth it.  Beautiful, beautiful place.  Friendly people.  Great weather. Great food.  Not outrageously expensive.  (Although, gas is $4.85 a gallon there, OUCH!)  Even TSA flying back were friendliest and most relaxed I ever met.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:12:10 PM by DenmanShooter »
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Returned from California
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »
Newport Beach......Beautiful, beautiful place.  Friendly people.  Great weather. 

Didja take the Catamaran trip over to Santa Catalina Island?   And roam around on the island??

If not, maybe next time.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 05:47:14 PM »
Didja take the Catamaran trip over to Santa Catalina Island?   And roam around on the island??

If not, maybe next time.

sfg
Got there on Thursday morning, had to fly out Saturday afternoon.  No time with having to move in and all.  Did go to Laguna Beach Thursday evening and down to the harbor to a bar and to Rockin Baja Lobster Friday evening.  Better than Joes Crab Shack and not as expensive. 

Catalina is on the list for a casual visit sometime.  :)

Supposedly had a 5.1 quake but we didn't feel a thing.  We have thunder and wind here that shake walls worse.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »
If You Go Again............

You May Never Come Back.

I'll Go With You.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer