< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: First Range Trip With My AR  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
First Range Trip With My AR
« on: September 05, 2009, 07:10:36 PM »
Well I made it to the range today to shoot my new toy. Getting my hastily installed scope and carry handle scope mount (A2 Rec for DCM rules.) bore sighted almost made me miss my window of opportuniy to sneak off and shoot. Then I had to go through the recomended SS barrel break in that DPMS sent along with my upper kit. Took about an hour and made fine tune on the scope more than a bit time consuming. Finnally I am down to my last few minutes and all is now sighted in so I can finnally shoot a ten shot group to see how she does. First five rounds looking really good, next two go a bit high , then another good one and alas the last two go high again. Total comes to a 2.5 inch ten shot group.  :P Well its good news that at least they are all on the same point of aim and maybe its just that the barrel is so new or does not like the factory Ultimax 55 gr loads (1in8 Twist). Out of time and just a bit bummed I pack up and head for home.  :-[ Get home and unpack, take the rifle and put it on the rest to start cleaning and discover that the afore mentioned carry handle scope mount has shot loose and is capeable of tipping up and down under recoil. ;D
High shots are explained or at least there is now hope that all will still be well.  ;) Now I am looking forward to my next AR range adventure, anit this hobby a gas. :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 07:14:47 PM by Wildgoose »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: First Range Trip With My AR
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 10:33:16 PM »
 I didn't get down to 1 inch groups until I started to reload, and that is off a bipod. Did you use a bag rest?
I have been told a bipod is prone to cause  vertical stringing of the shots.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 12:10:27 PM »
Is a permanently attached carry handle required for service rifle shooting?  I wouldn't mind trying it some day, but being able to swap out the carry handle for a regular scope mount would be nice.

One of these days I'm going to buy a stripped lower and start slowly accumulating the parts for an AR build.

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 12:57:44 PM »
Since the flat top (A3) rifle is now an issue item in the military. A A rifle with the carry handle attached is now approved for use in CMP and service rifle matches.  It is the best of both worlds if you ask me.

Yep a solid scope mount is key to good shooting

FLUFF

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 02:03:37 PM »
Don't expect match-grade accuracy from bulk 55gr FMJBT.  That 1/8" twist should let you shoot everything in the low-mid50's up to 80gr with no problem.  The exception might be the heavier VLD bullets.

Pick up some Federal Gold Medal Match or some Black Hills Match before judging her.  (Or load your own - 68gr and 75gr Hornady OTMs and some Varget or RL15 is where I'd start.)

bkoening - lucky for your AR parts prices are coming back down.  Lowers at the Hastings show could be had for <$125.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 05:58:13 PM »
Hey Wildgoose, If you're looking for a great load for CMP. Try 24.5gr Varget with a 69gr Sierra MKHPBT. Those 1x8 twists seem to love these!

Installing a peep rear sight and getting a smaller width front sight will "tighten" things up a bit also.

I de-copper my CMP AR (RRA) after EVERY shoot! Copper buid-up kills accuracy!  Copper solvent and a few patches are pretty inexpensive for getting that copper out, keeping your accuracy and extending your barrel life.

Keep shooting!

B.
"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and never apologize for anything." - Harry Truman
Politics is made up of 2 words. 'Poli' meaning 'many' in Latin. 'tics' meaning 'bloodthirsty creatures'.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »
I showed your new rifle to my wife and she was not convinced that I need one.  I think she considers you a bad influence.  :)  Maybe I should come back from that KC gunshow in January with a new toy just to prove her right.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: First Range Trip With My AR (Up Dated)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
Back to the range with a diffrent scope and some handloads using the Serria 69 grain MKHPBT. No loose mount this time. Shot five diffrent loads using RL-15 powder. The starting load came in at 1.75" for ten shots. As I ran up to the max load things shrank down to 1.25". Now thats some better from my first outing. I did retest some left over 55 gr factory Remmington that shot at 2.50". Yep, its true, 1 in 8" twist does not like the lighter bullets. I still need to finish up with the break in routine on the barrel and the stock trigger I have in this rifle leaves something to be desired. But I think things are on track for getting into some entry level match shooting. Next time I have some loads using the same bullet and Varget.

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 05:35:15 PM »
A good recipe for the 69gr MKHPBT is 24.5gr Varget.  If you seat the bullet just deep enough to load into a AR mag you'll get amazing accuracy out of your rifle!  It took 3 different people at our CMP matches to work this load up and we get sub-moa accuracy with 1X8 twist barrels!!

This is NOT a max load but when seating the bullet you'll get very slight "crunching" of the powder due to the elongated/cylindrical form of Varget and .223 case capacity-this does not affect the loads that we can tell and provides the best accuracy!!

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and never apologize for anything." - Harry Truman
Politics is made up of 2 words. 'Poli' meaning 'many' in Latin. 'tics' meaning 'bloodthirsty creatures'.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 03:30:50 PM »
I do 25.5 grains of Varget with a 60 grain Vmax and I get some slight powder compression also.  Accuracy is pretty good, but this is out of a Savage bolt gun.

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 06:28:35 AM »
I also have a Savage Model 10 FLP in .223.  I load 26.0gr Varget with a 69gr Sierra MKHPBT and seat the bullet to 2.380-you won't be able to load the rounds into the magazine due to the overall length of the round.  You'll have to single feed them but WOW!!!-the accuracy!!  100yd 5-shot groups measuring .354 and 300yd 5-shot groups measuring .836!

I neck size the cases only and use Remington BR primers.  Works great!  Have the targets hung above my loading bench!!