< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LB1058  (Read 2355 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
LB1058
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:34:56 PM »
How many people here know that there is a bill that is/was on the schedule for today that basically cancels out your vote in Presidential elections.  When the Constitution was written the electoral college was created to keep major population centers from being able to control the country with their vote, by giving smaller states like Nebraska a higher percentage influence on the Electoral College.  LB1058 would remove the rules currently in place for who gets Nebraska's electoral votes and says that all of our votes must be given to the person that won the national popular vote, even if every Nebraskan votes against that person our states votes would go to whomever won the National popular vote.

While the Electoral College is not perfect by any means, and Nebraska being small potatoes when it comes to presidential elections, going to a national popular vote would give 11 states the ability to tell the rest of us who our rulers will be.  That means the only activity we would see is the press (good luck getting truthful information there) telling us what the candidates did in the 11 states that would control this compact.

I know this is not gun related and I try real hard to keep mu posts to firearms issues, but I thought it would be good to let you know about this bill so you can do whatever you think needs to be done.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: LB1058
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
And if I understood the Governor Tyson Larson is one of the main sponsors.....another RINO exposed?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »
Sounds to me (after listening to him on the radio today) like DH is prepared to veto that bill should it pass
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »
And if I understood the Governor Tyson Larson is one of the main sponsors.....another RINO exposed?

Mark Fahleson(former Chairman of the Nebraska Republican Party) is a paid lobbyist for the national group pushing this agenda.

If I remember correctly, he is also Ben Sasse's campain director.   ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:01:59 PM »
This is crap.

Electoral Votes should be awarded per Congressional district by the vote of the people within that district. If I remember correctly, only Nebraska and Maine are the only states in the union to award by district. Should be done in every state.  >:D
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »
Rumour has it there has been so much backlash on this that Larson withdrew the bill today.  Haven't seen anything on the web page yet to confirm.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
I got that message a few minutes ago as well.  I think that he has only asked that it not go back on the schedule so the bill will die due to inactivity at the end of session end of next week.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 02:42:22 PM »
Senators Schilz and Lautenbaugh both added their names as sponsors of this bill earlier today.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
Mark Fahleson(former Chairman of the Nebraska Republican Party) is a paid lobbyist for the national group pushing this agenda.

If I remember correctly, he is also Ben Sasse's campain director.   ::)

Tyler Grassmeyer, according to the Omaha paper, is Sasse's campaign manager.  Is that the same as campaign director?
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »
Mark Fahleson currently is an "advisor" to the Sasse campaign. In the very early days of his candidacy I believe he acted as campaign manager, to kind of get things stated of and help get some fundraising going to pay for a professional campaign manager.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 06:58:19 PM »

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 09:09:09 PM »
Sasse came out on his FaceBook page specifically against LB 1058. I got an e-mail response from Senator Colby Coash telling me that   Senator Larson asked that his bill be changed to a study and so it will not be considered by the legislative body this year.
WØCHF