< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Univ. Neb. @ Omaha question  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Stockmwk

• NFOA Full Member
Univ. Neb. @ Omaha question
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:42:58 PM »
Hello all, looking for some input on a question I thought of today. I turned in my CHP paperwork yesterday and have been scanning my usual spots for whether or not I can carry when I wanted to double check my campus, UNO. http://www.unomaha.edu/security/concealedhandgunpermitact.php here is what the website says about guns on campus. I was under the impression that I can leave my handgun, locked in glovebox, lockbox attached to my personal vehicle, etc. and out of site. For clarification on this I was planning on calling the NSP office tomorrow but wanted to ask here first. Thanks

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Univ. Neb. @ Omaha question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »
Welcome to the NFOA....are you a student or an employee? I am only guessing here & I'm sure others will have more info, but I would imagine you are ok in the eyes of the law leaving it locked in your vehicle in a lockbox but I bet the student/employee handbook prohibits it.

Congrats on the CHP as well!
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »
The UNO policy is quite straightforward:

No Guns on Campus Property Anywhere.   Not on Your Person, Not in Your Trunk.   Certainly Not in Your Dorm Room.   Nor any Classroom.   Nor the Parking Lot.   Nor the Student Center.   Nor in Your Pocket.   Nor Holster.

Nowhere   Nowhere   Nowhere.

Such is the Official Policy.

At least, it was when I left campus today.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Stockmwk

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »
Thanks jfade! I'm a commuter student who lives off campus though.

semperfiguy, yes the reading of it is straight forward but I have a hard time believing the UNO website for the interpretation of a CHP,  not just an individual with a registered handgun and purchase permit.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 08:19:48 PM »
I was under the impression that I can leave my handgun, locked in glovebox, lockbox attached to my personal vehicle, etc. and out of site[sic]

The UNO "policy" does not apply to anyone that is not a UNO student or employee, as it is not a crime to do as you stated above, as long as you hold a valid CHP and the handgun stays in the vehicle while parked in a lot open to the public. But it could get you fired or expelled for violating the "policy"

This policy applies to all members of the general public,
This policy is not a legal prohibition as it violates provisions of the Concealed Handgun Act and  also violates preemption laws that apply specifically to valid permit holders...

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer so this advice is worth the price you paid for it
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »
From Recent News Article About the UNO Student Who Had Guns in His Dorm Room:

In a statement released by the university Monday, anyone with a firearm on university property would be in violation of several university and housing policies as well as state law, including the Student Code Conduct and Scott Village Resident Handbook -- both of which prohibit firearms on school property.

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/police-confiscate-guns-from-uno-dorm-room/25141378#ixzz2xggpdCwz

They are talking up a felony charge for this young man.

Don't Pack Heat on Campus.   Makes the Administration and Liberal Arts faculty feel faint and giddy.

sfg 
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Stockmwk

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »
Thanks for your input Dan W!

Offline Stockmwk

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »
From Recent News Article About the UNO Student Who Had Guns in His Dorm Room:

They are talking up a felony charge for this young man.

Don't Pack Heat on Campus.   Makes the Administration and Liberal Arts faculty feel faint and giddy.

sfg 

Yeah he was a big fool. Not sure what he was thinking in living on campus and having guns in his possession. There was actually an awful (in my opinion) article about the 7 or so states which allow post-secondary CHP in the UNO gateway campus paper two weeks ago. Perhaps you saw it? Assuming you frequent campus that is

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
Here's Some NAC 272 Ch 21 Stuff on This Issue:

A person, entity, or employer in control of a place or premises described in Section 018.01O above, which is open to the public, may prohibit permit holders from carrying concealed handguns in the place or premises by posting a conspicuous notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited in or on the place or premises or by making a request, directly or through an authorized representative or management personnel, that the permit holder remove the concealed handgun from the place or premises.

My office is in the Peter Kiewit Institute at the South Campus, near the Aksarben Village dorms.   Our parking lot is posted against concealed handguns.   And I'm quite sure that our parking lot is not the only lot so posted on campus.

sfg

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »
SFG...let's tell the whole story, OK?  section 018.04 has a qualifier that is directly related to the man's question

018.06 Except as prohibited by federal law, a permit holder may carry a concealed handgun in a vehicle or on his or her person while riding in or on a vehicle into or onto any parking area which is open to the public and used by any of the places or premises listed in Section 018.01 above if the handgun is not removed from the vehicle and the handgun is properly secured in the vehicle before the permit holder exits the vehicle. To be properly secured in the vehicle, the handgun must be locked inside the glove box, trunk or other compartment of the vehicle, in a storage box attached to the vehicle, or in a securely attached hardened compartment if the vehicle is a motorcycle.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Stockmwk

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 08:50:08 PM »
Thank you again, Dan W. That is exactly my point.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 09:00:48 PM »
That is exactly my point

Just don't let the point make you "that guy" on the 10 o'clock news
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Stockmwk

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »
Correct. I'll have to get to the source for this before actually lock up on campus

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:32:19 PM »
Would Be Interesting Court Proceedings to Watch.

From the Sidelines.

sfg

Offline Stockmwk

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
Not sure why you're coming off as a smartass with your bold and italic fonts, among other font changes.

Thanks for some of your posts though.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 09:48:25 PM »
Not sure why you're coming off as a smartass with your bold and italic fonts, among other font changes

Topic now exhausted, SFAIC.

sfg

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »
I have the same issue working for Lincoln Public Schools.  As a CHP holder, wouldn't be violating the law to have my gun stored properly before exiting the vehicle, but would be fired for doing so. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 10:58:05 PM »
If you park just off of campus or on any public street then you're good to go. Keep it there, lock it up and look into nonlethal items if you wish.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Stockmwk

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 11:05:23 PM »
Those were my next thoughts exactly. Then the ever infamous what's the best secure hiding spot for your lock box, or just glovebox and hope no one smash-grab-pry bar into it.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 12:07:18 AM »
I'm also a UNO student who commutes and I have a CHP. Every time you enter a parking lot you will see signs with a Beretta 92 and that big red circle with a line through the middle, at least on south campus where 90% of my classes are. I'm just waiting for something to happen on my way to campus or on my way home if I have to stop for something and was disarmed because of the school. It's unfortunate that the place I spend most of my time doesn't allow me to effectively defend myself. I always size up the classroom and my location and how I plan on acting if something were to happen. Know your surroundings.