< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Committee Idea  (Read 1248 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Committee Idea
« on: April 02, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
Looking for a couple of folks to help me with an idea.  We now have 6 or 7 colleges in Nebraska that have either fully supported or club shotgun sports teams.  There are several others where the idea is being discussed.

My thought was to se if the NFOA could put together a Nebraska State Colligiate Championship.
Thes teams compete in 5 events:
American Trap
International (Olimpic) Trap
American Skeet
International (Olimpic) Skeet
and Sporting Clays

Any interest in seeing what we could do?

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Committee Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »
I was hoping this might draw a couple of volunteers to assist in researching this.  This is not asking anyone to run it (but if you are interested in that) but to find out what it would take to get it going.  While this sounds like a huge undertaking we are talking about roughly 100 shooters in the first year and this being at least a year off for the first time.

This could develop into a great fundraiser and raise the profile of the NFOA in the state.  A way to get some of the big money donors involved and build some new partnerships.

Offline tachyonbb

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
Rifle is a sport sanctioned by the NCAA and UNL is the only college in Nebraska that has a team.  College shotgun sports are organized by the ACUI (Association of College Unions International).

The ACUI hosts the Collegiate Clay Target Championships in San Antonio Texas each year. Teams compete in American Trap, American Skeet, five stand, Sporting Clays, International Trap and International Skeet. They also host the CTC Shotgun Bowl series. http://www.acui.org/claytargets/
The Upper Midwest Conference Championship is held at Heartland Shooting Park in Grand Island. 
Last year 6 colleges brought full teams of at least 5 people. They also had a few high school teams.

The Midway USA trust fund http://www.midwayusafoundation.org/page.aspx?pid=329
also provides funding for high school and college teams.  If you donate  to the fund for a specific school, Larry Potterfield will match that donation 2 to 1.  So a $100 donation becomes $300.  The teams can take a percent of their trust fund each year without touching the principal.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
Tachy interested in being on the committee to try to put together an event?  We are not out to reinvent the wheel but use it to create more interest here in Nebraska (for shotgun sports) and support the NFOA.

Offline tachyonbb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:34:32 AM »
Sure.
The ACUI folks just finished  Nationals in San Antonio right now. The meet was the last weekend in March.  I will get ahold of Russ Arnold and Jake Dawes and see what ideas they have.  Russ is the head of the Clay Target portion of the ACUI and Jake runs the Shotgun Bowl Series.

I know that Midlands and Hastings had teams at nationals.  I know that Concordia is starting a team.  In the past UNO had a team but from what I know it is not active. Others?

In your first post you mentioned International Trap and Skeet. There are no International fields in Nebraska.  The closest bunker for trap is a private one in south central Iowa. 
Heartland Park in Grand Island, Lincoln Trap and Skeet and Kearney have the ability to run trap, skeet, 5-stand and sporting clays.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:37:57 AM by tachyonbb »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »
From my understanding from visiting with most of the coaches for the international all they do (for things around here, I know there is a bigger difference in true international competition) is turn on the wobble at the traps.

Before we get to contacting folks lets take this conversation to email so we can start a list of what we need and what we know or at least should know at this point.  I don't want to reinvent the wheel but with the growth that is going on right now at the college level here in Nebraska it would be a good time to capitalize on that and at the same time see if we can not encourage the growth.