< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Going for my CCW class in a couple weeks, any tips?  (Read 2962 times)

Offline jdavie87

• NFOA Full Member
Going for my CCW class in a couple weeks, any tips?
« on: September 08, 2009, 05:25:33 AM »
Hey all. Like the topic title says, in a couple weeks I'm going to be taking a CCW class and I'm the kind of guy that likes to be as prepared as I can be. I know each class/instructor is probably different, but is there anything I need to know before I take the class? How do they usually go?

I've been going to the range and practicing with my pistol so I at least look like I know what I'm doing. ;D Once the holster I ordered gets here I'll try practicing drawing then shooting. Anything else I should practice on so I don't look like an idiot? I've been using guns since I was 12, but I've only been shooting pistols for the past year and a half, so I'm sure there are still some things I can learn.

I'm know I'm probably over-thinking this, but what can I say, that's what I do. :P I'm going with 3 other family members, so I'm sure it will be a good time.  Thanks for any help guys.

[EDIT]
I just realized that I should have put this in the "Help!" forum. Maybe a mod could move it? Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:35:03 AM by jdavie87 »

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Going for my CCW class in a couple weeks, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »
I got mine about a year and a half ago.  I was pretty nervous, and just like you I spent some time at the range.  I practiced drawing from concealment, close range targets, etc.  I would say if you can hit the broad side of a barn, you will do fine.  Just pay attention in the class and remember to wash your hands after reloading/shooting in COLD water!  I took the class with Paul H, and loved the legal aspects of what he taught, but that is what I am kind of into.  I think he even said that he had a blind person qualify for a permit!  Matter of fact we had a gal in our class that shoot her boyfriends .380 ???  and had only shot it one other time qualify.

Here are a couple of great videos when working with the holster at the range.

http://www.guntalk.tv/gtv/library.php?video_id=381
http://www.guntalk.tv/gtv/library.php?video_id=125

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:40:46 AM »
I probably don't need to say it, but please, be sure to obey the 4 basic firearms rules...

1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

It will NOT be a quick-draw contest, you will want to be deliberate in what you are doing.

Good luck, and let us know how it went.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »
Bring a gun and holster that Works.  Relax.  It is NOT timed, and NOT difficult: A blind person could (and HAS!!!) done it.  No Sweat.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 05:02:19 PM »
Relax, and pay attention in class.

Review those basic Safety rules.... Don't just glaze over them like most people do and say, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know those". Read them, and then ask yourself..... "DO I really follow all of these rules?"

Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire seems to be the most challenging rule from my experience teaching CCW classes. Always keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction is the next. Don't point it at your neighbor when you go to remove the magazine, don't point it at your hand when you are re-holstering.......

The written test and range qualification are very simple if you just pay attention in class.

Offline phorvick

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 06:29:57 PM »
You will have fun!

The only really difficult shot in the range exercise, and you only need to hit it once out of four tries, is the running sommersault where as you come out of your tuck with both guns shooting ...at times it is difficult to stick the landing.

;D
If butterfiles carried .45's, there would be no sparrow problem.

http://shootingsafely.com

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »
You will have fun!

The only really difficult shot in the range exercise, and you only need to hit it once out of four tries, is the running sommersault where as you come out of your tuck with both guns shooting ...at times it is difficult to stick the landing.

;D

I managed to hit it once, but then got hit by the swinging pendulum, knocked me right off my feet! Good thing I hit it on the first try, as I couldn't see straight after that.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 07:01:53 PM »
Pay attention in class.  Take notes.  My instructor was helpful and informed us of the very important things to jot down and remember.  No concealed weapons on snowmobiles. 

As for the shooting portion, it's not a quick-draw competition or a bullseye match.  Draw slowly and deliberately with your finger off the trigger, get a sight picture, and squeeze the trigger.  The targets are huge - anyone with even rudimentary pistol skills will be able to pass.
NRA Life Member.

Offline jdavie87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 07:31:22 PM »
You will have fun!

;D
I managed to hit it once, but then got hit by the swinging pendulum, knocked me right off my feet! Good thing I hit it on the first try, as I couldn't see straight after that.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like I should be good to go then. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 08:42:13 PM »
Most important is take your time, take some deep breaths to calm the nerves and be careful to make sure you aim well. The first few times I shot on instinct and was nervous as hell. Thankfully because you start with the target so close they all still hit but... You never know!

Offline TerryLane

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »
The only thing I could add to the above is bring a concealment garment. I just brought an oversized button front shirt and left it unbuttoned. Since part of the course of fire is from concealed, it seemed to me that everyone would have brought something, but I had to loan my shirt out to three other shooters who didn't bring a cover garment and were trying to use their t-shirts to cover. Don't get me wrong, oversized t-shirts are fine sometimes but being able to sweep an open front shirt is so much easier during the course of fire. Hope that helps. Take care.
Terry Lane
NRA Life
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Appointed Training Counselor
Nebraska Concealed Handgun Instructor

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 07:24:38 AM »
As an instructor I can tell you it's easy to see the difference between the pro and the wanabe by the way they handle thier handgun. The pro is always aware of where the muzzle is pointed and keeps his finger off the trigger. Far too many momentarily laze others on the line while loading or thier own body parts when drawing or holstering. Follow and live by the 4 basic rules and you will do fine in class and the rest of your life.
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline jdavie87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »
Class went well, now I just need to apply for my permit.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 06:23:29 AM »
Congratulations!