< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Something for the Omaha NFOA members to write your Reps' about...  (Read 1140 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Something for the Omaha NFOA members to write your Reps' about...
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:21:13 PM »
http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=10945&sid=27

Sec. 8-85.  Restriction of activities.
Whenever a state of emergency has been declared as provided for herein, the mayor is hereby authorized to take one or more of the following specified measures throughout the city or any part thereof:
(a)   Prohibit or limit the number of persons who may gather or congregate upon the public highways or public sidewalks, or in any outdoor place, except persons who are awaiting transportation, engaging in recreational activities at a usual and customary place, or peaceably entering or leaving buildings.
(b)   Establish a curfew limiting the hours when persons may go upon or travel the public streets.
(c)   Require the closing of cocktail lounges, taverns and bars and prohibit the sale or service of alcoholic beverages in any hotel, restaurant, club or other establishment, and require the closing of all other business establishments.
(d)   Prohibit or restrict the sale of gasoline or other inflammable liquids.
(e)   Prohibit the sale, carrying or possession on the public street or public sidewalks, or in any public park or square, of weapons including, but not limited to, firearms, bows and arrows, air rifles, slingshots, knives, razors or missiles of any kind.
(f)   To do any and all things and take such measures as are necessary to preserve the health, safety, and property of the citizens of this community.
(Code 1980, ? 8-85)

I believe that part that is in bold above to be unconstitutional.  This could result in similar actions to those that took place in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina where legal gun owners were forcibly disarmed.

Lets get a letter-writing campaign together and get this changed/repealed to allow at least legal carrying of concealed weapons.

City council contact info:  http://co.douglas.ne.us/omaha/citycouncil/contact-us
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Something for the Omaha NFOA members to write your Reps' about...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
Agreed, but I'm not an Omaha resident. Actually a lot what is on here is unconstitutional. The right to assemble is also restricted here:
(a)   Prohibit or limit the number of persons who may gather or congregate upon the public highways or public sidewalks, or in any outdoor place, except persons who are awaiting transportation, engaging in recreational activities at a usual and customary place, or peaceably entering or leaving buildings.

I just don't believe in Emergency Powers because they can call an emergency even if there isn't much of a threat. Emergency Powers seem to always circumvent the constitution or void it alltogether.

I don't like this one either: (d)   Prohibit or restrict the sale of gasoline or other inflammable liquids.
What are they trying to do, strand us here if there is an emergency? We can't buy gas for our cars? How is the economy to continue functioning? What if we want to drive out, hence flee the area.

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 04:22:50 AM »
Yeah, but you really gotta love this all encompassing measure:

(f)   To do any and all things and take such measures as are necessary to preserve the health, safety, and property of the citizens of this community.

What was is Ben Franklin said?
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

As far as (e) goes, wouldn't you think LB430 overrode that? Not that I believe the Mayor (ANY Mayor) would be too concerned with it, just saying.

Is anyone familiar with any of the City Council members to know which would be willing to introduce a bill reversing this absurd city ordinance?

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:26:52 AM »
Yeah, but you really gotta love this all encompassing measure:

What was is Ben Franklin said?
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

As far as (e) goes, wouldn't you think LB430 overrode that? Not that I believe the Mayor (ANY Mayor) would be too concerned with it, just saying.

Is anyone familiar with any of the City Council members to know which would be willing to introduce a bill reversing this absurd city ordinance?

I believe you are right as far as concealed carry and LB430 are concerned, I still don't like it though.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.