< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Getting started with black rifles  (Read 3275 times)

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Getting started with black rifles
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:53:03 PM »
I'm interested in getting into a AR-15 carbine, but I'm an extreme newby when it comes to rifles.  I would like a more tactical type rifle possibly 16" barrel. My question is, should I buy a completed rifle or I was thinking about building one and learning about them as I go.  Is this crazy??  Should I buy one already built?  Any suggestions are appreciated.  I am interested in building it because I figured I would learn about the rifle better if I put it together myself and because budget is a concern and I figured I could spread out the cost.  Let me know if this is a bad idea.

Thanks for any help

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Getting started with black rifles
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »
I'm interested in getting into a AR-15 carbine, but I'm an extreme newby when it comes to rifles.  I would like a more tactical type rifle possibly 16" barrel. My question is, should I buy a completed rifle or I was thinking about building one and learning about them as I go.  Is this crazy??  Should I buy one already built?  Any suggestions are appreciated.  I am interested in building it because I figured I would learn about the rifle better if I put it together myself and because budget is a concern and I figured I could spread out the cost.  Let me know if this is a bad idea.

Thanks for any help

I'd go with building your own, but that's me.   ;)

Need to know:

Budget...how much are you willing to spend?
Ability....do you have a decent mechanical aptitude?
Tools.....you'll need a few tools such as hammer, punches, pliers, etc.(a couple special tools can be borrowed).
Purpose..what is the purpose of this rifle?..target shooting, personal defense, hunting, other?

There are quite a few guys on here that know AR's inside and out(I've built 4 or 5) and I'm sure we can help you through building your first AR15.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 03:28:41 PM »
I'm looking for a tactical shooting and somewhat personal defense.  I'm pretty good mechanically, but never having one has me doubting my ability since I haven't dealt with it at all.  I kind of figured building one would be the best way to learn.  My budget is probably the biggest concern.  I would like to keep it under $900 if possible.  I'm hoping I could kind of buy it as I need it through the build process.  Tools are not an issue for me.  I will probably just buy the few specialized tools I need.  Asthetically I'd like it to look like the one Krylancelo (sp?) built. 

Thanks for your help

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 04:13:55 PM »
It's so easy, an 11 year old girl can do it!!  

Seriously, it's not very hard.

Watching these will give you an idea of what it all entails.

Lower Receiver:
Part 1

Part 2

Upper Receiver:

Bolt Assembly:

Where are you located at?  Maybe we could have a NFOA "AR-building party" some time.   ;D

That reminds me, I have a striped lower in the safe waiting to be put together...hmmmm.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:54:59 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:12:07 PM »
Brownells also has some great videos.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR-15_Video

I've already built a couple of lowers using their videos. Just gotta come up with the funds for the uppers.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 07:58:45 PM »
To hold down the tool costs, I built my lowers and bought the uppers complete. If I could  get my  hands on the tools for CHEAP, I would build mine 100% now

I would highly recommend a midlength gas system if you want a 16" upper.

This is an RRA Govt. profiled  middy

Where are you located at?  Maybe we could have a NFOA "AR-building party" some time.   ;D

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:59:32 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 10:07:51 PM »
I'd love to have build party, but with this trip to DC and my recent revolver purchase........ I'm BROKE.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 10:28:39 PM »
  PartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyParty [/glow][/shadow]
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »
I'm going to check out these videos, thanks for those.  I'm located in Lincoln and I would be very interested in an assembly party. What is a realistic price for all of the components that I would need.  Obviously it's totally up to what I pick out but a ballpark would be nice.  Is it cheaper than buying a completed rifle?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 11:05:19 PM »
$350-400 for a lower built up with a collapsible stock. and a match trigger.

Then I would guess 550-600 for a good quality 16" middy upper... SO you are looking at $1000  for a complete 16" midlength gas system , and a little more for a BUIS  and/or optic
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 02:31:07 AM »
Built my first AR lower (actually the only AR I have ever owned), then proceeded to help a friend build his. Its not tough but there are a couple of spots where It gets real tricky (can anyone say pivot pin retaining spring/detent). Not bad though. Now that I built a couple lowers I would consider building the upper as well. (maybe that would get me into trouble but it gets you exactly what you want.)
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 03:07:48 PM »
Just a heads-up for anyone looking for a darn good deal on an AR15.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1865623&cat=161&

Bargain Bin 16 inch M4

Bargain Bin Rifles are back!

Just like last time, we are only accepting orders for these online. There are no further discounts or quantity discounts. Once we have run through our current inventory, no back orders will be taken for these.

These won't win any beauty contests, but if you are looking for an affordable shooter, look no further! All rifles are M4A3 configured and consist of trade-ins, demos, scratched, dented, discolored, over-runs, special buys, uglies, etc. All rifles have been head spaced and test fired. Rifles are sold as-is with no returns.

If in doubt, inquire online, the feedback from these last year was phenomenal. Don't wait too long, these won't last long.

1/9 twist Barrels are Nitrided inside and out for years and years of trouble free operation!

Hand picked rifles will be for over all cosmetics. There is NO choice of make. Rifle includes what is pictured only, no accesories! Lower receiver brands will be Armalite/Eagle, DPMS and CMMG. Actual rifle my vary slightly from photo.
SKU Number: *

Price:    $599.95

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »
Don't tell everybody!  I need a little bit to scrape together 600 beans!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 11:57:03 PM »
No kidding folks keep your voices down, I have a very very very lonely lower that needs a mate!
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 12:11:39 PM »
Thanks FarmerRick.  I had to buy another one at this price.  I bought one from them 2 years ago for $610.  The gun was new.  This is a heck of deal, and great product.  Now to the Brownell's website to pick out my decorations, etc (and to the Flower shop to get the wife something to get her mind off my purchase) :)

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 08:17:16 PM »
Thanks FarmerRick.  I had to buy another one at this price.  I bought one from them 2 years ago for $610.  The gun was new.  This is a heck of deal, and great product.  Now to the Brownell's website to pick out my decorations, etc (and to the Flower shop Jewelry store to get the wife something to get her mind off my purchase) :)

Fixed.