< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: holster question  (Read 2360 times)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
holster question
« on: April 07, 2014, 07:27:44 PM »
Anybody here ever utilize an ankle holster?  I picked one up recently and plan on using it on my road trips.  Hoping it will be easier to access than my preferred IWB.

Offline deputygunner

• NFOA Full Member
Re: holster question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 08:06:59 PM »
Years ago when I was a Deputy, I carried a Ruger SP101 9mm in an ankle holster. Not the fastest method of caring a backup, you need to practice your draw. You have to keep it clean, being on your ankle you pick up a lot of debris, and during winter snow can be a factor too.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »
I would think when you're seated in a car it would be a fairly fast draw.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »
Better Get Another One of Equal Size for the Other Leg......

People see a guy walking with a limp, they think:

Hmmm..... Packin'

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »
Not with a gut like mine.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 05:37:28 AM »

That's the primary use for it :D
Better Get Another One of Equal Size for the Other Leg......

People see a guy walking with a limp, they think:

Hmmm..... Packin'

sfg

The PF9 is so light it doesn't make me limp....yet :laugh:

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:31:22 AM »
Interesting facet of this post is deputygunner's SP101 in 9mm.

An SP101 would be a fairly heavy object on a person's ankle.  And a rather rare handgun, as well.  Now I'm wondering why he chose that particular backup weapon rather than the more common .38/.357Mag SP101 snubbie.  With its heavier firepower in .357Mag.

He is spot-on with this comment:
You have to keep it clean, being on your ankle you pick up a lot of debris, and during winter snow can be a factor too
According to Everyone I've met who has used an ankle holster.

Ankle holster makes tying your shoes an aggressive act.   Interesting......

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 08:13:36 AM »
have you had any extractor problems with your PF9?
AFter about 500 rounds through mine it wouldn't extract the case anymore, keltec sent me a new extractor, I read on the keltec forum that guys are doubling up their extractor for extra strength, so thats what I did, seemed to fix the problem.

great carry gun

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 10:27:22 AM »
It seems like the extra weight on one leg would potentially cause orthopedic problems.  I have a bad hip and a bad back, and being unbalanced like that would really screw me up.  Even using a belt holster with a bad belt that doesn't distribute the weight well will cause pain for me.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
have you had any extractor problems with your PF9?
AFter about 500 rounds through mine it wouldn't extract the case anymore, keltec sent me a new extractor, I read on the keltec forum that guys are doubling up their extractor for extra strength, so thats what I did, seemed to fix the problem.

great carry gun

Actually yes.  I sent it back and they quickly fixed it up.  Don't shoot it a lot, definitely not a fun gun to shoot all day at the range.  But it is a nice carry gun

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »
I like this ankle holster, especially on an automobile trip.  With a PF9, it's hard to know it's there.  Works well with boot cut jeans or loose khakis.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 08:34:19 AM »
I have an ankle holster for my Ruger LCP .380, that I occasionally carry as a backup.  I have two different holsters, because the first one doesn't hold it as close to my leg as I'd like; I want it secure, well hidden, and staying in the same place as I walk, run, or whatever.  More commonly though I carry two extra .40 Glock magazines for my main gun in an ankle carrier.  Of course I do have two ankles, and the two together make me less off balance.  Years ago I used to wear ankle weights when I walked and ran for exercise, and this is a more practical version of that.

For any holster I wear I do some fast running, falling, and intense martial art workouts wearing it (with an empty gun), because some gunfights are preceded by hand to hand combat, and the last thing I want is to find out that all this time I've been carrying a gun I was carrying it for the bad guy to use against me, which would mean that not only would I die, but I would die as a fool.

Years ago I was working at a nuclear power plant on a renovation job.  They had security guards all over, and occasionally one would get a call on his radio and have to take off running to check something out.  One guard (who looked like he was about 12 years old) took off running one time and his revolver fell out of the holster and crashed into the pavement.  It happened in front of a bunch of construction hands, who all got a good laugh out of it.  I thought it was a cheap lesson for him.  And I don't want to learn a lesson that might not be so cheap.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 09:35:26 AM »
As a holster for car use, have you considered cross-draw or shoulder holster?  Both would be more accessible than an IWB in a car.  For long car trips I carry a S&W 642 in an Alessi guardian shoulder holster (it is an inverted holster that holds the revolver butt down).  I wear a light unbuttoned long-sleeved shirt over my usual t-shirt as a cover garment (which also doubles as protection from sunburn on my left arm while driving).

I consider a shoulder holster to be far preferable to an ankle holster for a primary weapon; although, I would suppose most people carry more than a 5 shot 38 special, but I am comfortable with it.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »
About 6 years ago buying a firearm from a older gentleman which some of you would know but I’m not naming names showed me his draw from his ankle holster.  He was wearing jeans and in the blink of an eye he had his S&W .38 special drawn and on target.  I was amazed with how quickly he presented the firearm. 

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
As a holster for car use, have you considered cross-draw or shoulder holster?  Both would be more accessible than an IWB in a car.  For long car trips I carry a S&W 642 in an Alessi guardian shoulder holster (it is an inverted holster that holds the revolver butt down).  I wear a light unbuttoned long-sleeved shirt over my usual t-shirt as a cover garment (which also doubles as protection from sunburn on my left arm while driving).

I consider a shoulder holster to be far preferable to an ankle holster for a primary weapon; although, I would suppose most people carry more than a 5 shot 38 special, but I am comfortable with it.

When I travel, which is not really very often, I have a primary IWB weapon and the ankle holster weapon for quicker access while sitting.  Course the wife still clucks about me having 2 guns on me :laugh:

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »
IMHO, an ideal, is two handguns, both the same caliber, and both the same magazine.   One gun in your best presentation area, and one in a good hiding spot on your body.  For your back-up gun, and ankle holster is hard to beat. 

My preference is a ankle holster with level 2 or greater retention.   Some elastic and gravity acting in unison, for me, is not enough.   

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:57:50 PM by Gary »