< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Able to carry in any Omaha malls?  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
Able to carry in any Omaha malls?
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »
Just out of curiosity.

I was fortunate enough to be able to be in a private gathering when I was in college to listen to the lead investigators for the Westroads shooting a few years back, and the current person who ran Westroads called us "nutbags" on stage in a room with a bunch of professionals.  It was slightly awkward, so I don't know their current status on carrying.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Re: Able to carry in any Omaha malls?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 07:49:15 PM »
Malls are gun free zone as far as I know.  I know the outlet is is carry friendly though.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »
Is your question OC or CC? 

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 09:10:58 PM »
That depends what you think "conspicuous" means.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 09:48:26 PM »
Malls are gun free zone as far as I know.

I'm guessing you mean that they are often posted with "No CCW" signs, and/or have a sign posted with a list of rules including the ban of firearms.  If so, then I would agree.  If you mean there is any state ordinance banning firearms in malls, then no. 

That depends what you think "conspicuous" means.

THIS^  The Lincoln Gateway (or whatever they are calling it these days) and SouthPoint don't have the classic "No CCW" signs.  They may have some rules posted, but they are not conspicuous to me.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 10:47:22 PM »
Who called who "nutbags" and for what reason?   

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:55:18 AM »
The Westroads and Oakview malls are not posted in accordance with Nebraska statutes, at the entrances that I use(once a year, a day or so before Christmas).
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:56:20 AM »
i live really close to oakview and I've never seen any sign posted.

was there ever an update about the outlet mall? They came out and said no guns, but never posted and never respond to any emails inquiring about the topic.

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 10:21:37 AM »
I went to the Nebraska Outlet Crossing Mall and it appears the individual shops are responsible for posting if they choose to and I only saw one. I have not been through all the stores yet but only a couple are posted that I could see. Most are not.

I think it is great the outpouring of resistance that happened right away last fall...we do have influence as a growing group!    :D

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 01:16:30 PM »
Wilson,
Do you recall which store was posted at NEX?

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »
I believe there are 2 jewelry store that are posted...neither of which I can afford to visit anyway. Precious metals, to me, come in boxes of 50 or 100, and separate with the squeeze of a trigger!
 ;D

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »
Who called who "nutbags" and for what reason?   

She called us nutbags.  You know, for caring about our safety.

And thanks guys.

Offline Benjamin.henryii

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 06:24:15 AM »
My brother used to be a Security guard at WestRoads. They took down their no handgun signs after the shooting.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 09:45:22 PM »
Nutbags?.... Oh well, I can think of a few names that could be worse to be called.  Target, victim, and casualty jump out immediately.  ;)

Offline Destrian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
Having worked at one mall in Omaha and visited the others, I am 99% sure they are all "Gun Free Zones." There is no state standard for signage in Nebraska. Crossroads (I know, no one goes there anymore), Westroads, and Oakview have Code of Conduct signs posted at most of the entrances. One of the rules on this list is "No firearms or illegal weapons." While there is no standardization of signage, statutes 69-2441 states

"If a person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or an employer in control of the
property prohibits a permit holder from carrying a concealed handgun into or onto the place or premises and such place or premises are open to the public, a permit holder does not violate this section unless the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has posted conspicuous notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited in or on the place or premises or has made a request, directly or through an authorized representative or management personnel, that the permit holder remove the concealed handgun from the place or premises. "

An argument could be made that one small line amongst a long list of rules is not "conspicuous" enough but I doubt it would hold water. The websites for each mall also have a list of the Code of Conduct for verification. As for the Nebraska Crossing Outlets, while I can not find much online to corroborate this, I have heard more than once that the entire outlet has been deemed "Gun Free."

Sources

https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/concelaedcarryfaqs.aspx
(http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php?topic=10471.0)
http://www.oakviewmall.com/content/pdf/code_of_conduct.pdf
http://www.westroadsmall.com/content/pdf/code_of_conduct.pdf
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:18:51 PM by DestrianShade »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 08:50:41 PM »
Westwood (not Westroads) Shopping Center at the SW corner of 120th & W. Center Streets in Omaha has standard No Handguns signs posted at all the entrances to their various parking lots.

However, they do not post No Handgun signs at the doorways or entrances to any of the individual shops, stores, movie theater, eateries, etc.

Whether this arrangement constitutes legal prohibition or not is unclear.  Nevertheless, it is quite clear that they do not want handguns in their shopping center.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 08:54:49 PM »
There is no state standard for signage in Nebraska

Not so fast...

The NSP administrative code for the Concealed Handgun Act clearly states in the Definitions:

002.13 “Posted conspicuous notice” shall mean a clearly visible sign posted at each public entrance to a place or premises open to the public which shall clearly state that concealed handguns are not allowed in the place or on the premises. A recommended format for the sign can be found in Section 018.04 of these regulations.

So it is pretty clear that every public entrance must have a sign that clearly states the prohibition of legally concealed handguns, and last time I checked there is no requirement on my part to research the malls policies before I go shopping.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 09:51:54 PM »
If they don't want lawful ccw in the mall they just have to put a sign on all the entrances other wise it's more like no guns at Scheells in Lincoln.
I was carrying in Westroads & Oak View one week ago, shopping with family. What struck me was the memorial at Von  Maur.

The people that put up the signs that create the environment for something like this to happen, may not of pulled the trigger
but I find them just as guilty.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Destrian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 12:21:14 AM »
Not so fast...

The NSP administrative code for the Concealed Handgun Act clearly states in the Definitions:

So it is pretty clear that every public entrance must have a sign that clearly states the prohibition of legally concealed handguns, and last time I checked there is no requirement on my part to research the malls policies before I go shopping.

Sorry, I guess I did not explain well enough. What I meant is that there is no standard on what sign has to be used. Yes it has to be conspicuous and posted on the entrance, but it can be sharpie and printer paper if they want, as long as the meaning is clear. I agree that the policy boards are not conspicuous enough. I had to go actively looking for one and read the whole thing to find out.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 02:40:37 AM »
Conspicuous means I shouldn't have to go searching for it. So I don't. When you call, ask, check every entrance, or go digging into policy manuals, you are searching, meaning if you are "mucking" yourself, as it is obviously not conspicuous.

It also means you shouldn't call ahead, or ask them what their policy is. Part of carrying concealed is "out of sight, out of mind."  When you put the idea in their head, you are often the inspiration for them creating a policy. Conspicuous means conspicuous, and concealed means concealed. Stop searching for signs and obscure policy, and stop announcing to every business owner or manager that your carrying. I have no idea what motivates either action.

If you want to see uniform signage passed, contact the BoD of the NFOA and the NFOA-PAF, and ask what you can do to help 1.) get the right people in the right places, 2.) motivate those people to present and push NFOA backed bills, and 2.) get those other people to support NFOA backed bills.

Uniform signage should be easy compared the all the pipe dream bills, and with any luck, could make a whole slew of non-carry places now open to business for 2A supporters like you.