< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Went out to Hamburg Bend  (Read 1287 times)

Offline brandon7219

• Forum Member
Went out to Hamburg Bend
« on: April 11, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »
Wife and i went out to Hamburg Bend today shot the AK-74 and the Mosin. 

We didnt spend as much time out as i would have liked.  the detours they had set up added almost a whole 1 1/2hrs round trip to the ride :mad_small

But we did spend about an hour and half out shooting.  Both rifles shot amazingly well. I was surprised the nugget shot as well as it did.

The first two shots in the upper left were the first two out of the AK. Didn't know what to expect really.  But the last three shots i had my breathing under control and took my time seting up the shots.  And BOY was I surprised! I  did the math (google) and found out i was actually 30 meters from the target.*

I also found a mag that just did not want to click in to the rifle. Was a little upset at that. Its a brown circle 21.  It just seemed to not want to fit at all.

By the time we left the wife and i had collected almost 100 shotgun shells left there by some a**hats. and a few plastic bottles.  Tried to get all the steel from the AK there maybe a couple left not sure.  The casings were blending in quite well with the dirt lol!

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Went out to Hamburg Bend
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:55:12 PM »
Hey, sounds like an awesome day! Thanks for the photos...but you have now made me seriously jealous lol.

Had you shot the Mosin before today? The 91/30 is a "center of mass" firearm and typically shoots high out to about 100 yards (fresh out of the crate). I've never seen one yet that was to be sighted in on target without a little bit of modification (shrink tube on front post).

It looks like the perfect way to spend the perfect day! Thanks again for sharing!

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:29:44 PM »
for the steel cases, go to harbor freight, and get a magnet on a stick, I use them for picking up nails
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:41:19 AM »
Hi Brandon,
Thought I might suggest that if you are looking for a chance to shoot your Mosin you may want to give the Vintage Military Rifle Match at the Lincoln Izaak Walton a try. Its very informal and fun type match designed for rifles like your old war horse Mosin. Targets are provided with a sight in period and the opportunity to shoot thirty rounds for score from three different positions. Standing offhand, sitting and prone. Its only ten bucks for each shooter. Starts at 8:00 am on the second Saturday of each month from now through October. There is even a sight in period before the match to let you get ready. You will meet a great group of shooters that are using a variety of vintage bolt action rifles. If your interested you can check it out at the Lincoln Ike's web site along with a lot of other shooting events available to the public.
http://lincolnikes.com/