< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: OPOA facebook dialogue on Omaha Carry Laws  (Read 1725 times)

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
OPOA facebook dialogue on Omaha Carry Laws
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
I asked the Omaha Police Officers Association what their stance was on Omaha's prehistoric firearms laws.

They started a facebook post if anyone (on facebook) wishes to chime in.

My goal was to draw some attention to the issue & possibly lead to some city legislation to repeal some of these or acknowledge that they need some work.

If you aren't already following the OPOA on facebook, you can Google 'omaha police officers association facebook' & join in the conversation.

It may seem silly to some but social media is capable of getting a lot of stuff accomplished & informing the often uninformed public.
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline far

• NFOA Full Member
Re: OPOA facebook dialogue on Omaha Carry Laws
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
 I did not realize you needed a permit from the city of Omaha to open carry..

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »

Ridiculous isn't it?

I see a few nfoa members on the scene already!
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 01:19:57 PM »

Here 'tis:

======================
OMAHA OPEN CARRY PERMIT[Handgun Identification Card]
OMAHA MUNICIPAL CODE
Sec. 20-207. Firearm training program.

(a) A training program to qualify persons in the safe use of firearms shall, after review and approval by resolution by the city council, be established and operated by the city, which may contract with private organizations or use the services of other agencies, or may use a combination of the two, to provide such training.    Said resolution shall be submitted to the city council on or before December 21, 1993.

(b) A fee shall be charged each person attending the training program.   The city shall set out a reasonable fee, to be set by the city council, after review and approval by said resolution, which shall include the cost of training, to be paid to the licensed training facility, and to the city.

(c) An identification card on a form approved by the city shall be issued to each person who successfully completes the training program.

(d) The training program shall consist of eight to ten hours of classroom training and education and two hours of practical firearm operation at an approved shooting range.

(e) The city shall prescribe such procedures as may be necessary for its operation in conformity with the provisions of this article.

(f) The city shall have complete control over the training program and shall decide upon the qualifications of all applicants.

(g) An applicant for the training program shall fill out a form stating his or her full name, social security number (optional), residence, age, whether applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, whether the person is addicted to the use of alcohol or any controlled substance, whether the person has any history of mental illness, and whether the person has ever been convicted of a misdemeanor involving acts of violence.

(h) The identification card shall be valid for three years from the date of issuance.

(i) The identification card may be renewed every three years provided that:

(1) The applicant pays a reasonable recertification fee, as set by the city council.

(2) The applicant has not violated, or is currently charged with violating, any applicable provision of this Code, state law or city ordinance, rule or regulation during the past three years.

(j) The identification card may be revoked by the city for the violation of any applicable provision of this Code, state law or city ordinance, rule or regulation, or if the identification card was issued to an unqualified applicant.

(k) Waivers may granted to those who can provide evidence of satisfactory completion of either a United States armed forces or a nationally recognized handgun firearms training program.

(Ord. No. 33113, § 8, 11-23-93; Ord. No. 34229, § 2, 6-17-97)

Sec. 20-208. Issuance of identification card.

Upon successful completion of the firearm training program, an identification card shall be issued with the approval of the city bearing a distinguishing number assigned to the card holder, the full name, date of birth, sex, residence address, expiration date, and a brief description and colored photograph of the card holder.
===============================

Next Omaha Open Carry class is at the National Safety Council - Nebraska on M-W, April 21-23, 6-9pm.

Followed by range qualification (BH or Take Aim) on Saturday, April 26, 8-10AM.

sfg
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:22:45 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »
SFG,  where does the Safety Council fulfill the range requirements of the training?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »
Classes:
National Safety Council - Nebraska Office
11620 M Cir, Omaha, NE 68137
(402) 896-0454

Ask for Shaley Kaufman

[Southeast Corner of 120th & L Streets.   Way, Way Off to the Back of that Complex.]

Range Qualification:
Bullet Hole used in the past.
May start using Take Aim, as well.

Note on Instructor:
Instructor is a tired, weary grey-haired gentleman with a puzzled look on his face from dealing with the tangled consequences of life.   Not too bad a fellow, though.   Once you get to know him.]

sfg
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:38:13 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 03:15:02 PM »
I have begun some great dialog with the OPOA thru FB. We have spoke over the phone on certain subjects. And are planning some FTF meetings in the future.

A s matter of fact thru the urgings of myself and other NFOA members, we have been able to change how the reports are worded as it pertains to unlawfully concealed firearms and the use of the term - assault weapons.  After speaking with the officers, we have much in common when it comes to views on firearms and self defense and where the problems of violence originate. 

We are in discussions about a project involving the two organizations.   I should have enough info put together in the next week to bring something to the members here for input.  (We started this during the height of our work in the unicameral and now we are able get back to work on this)

What I am saying is to realize these folks are in charge of enforcing the laws on the books (whether they 100% agree or not) and many are concerned as much as we are about the violence plaguing the city of Omaha.  I believe open- civil discussions between us can go along way to working on a solution.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 04:03:34 PM »
So SFG.... Marty Conboy was good with CHP holders OCing Omaha. Is this not the case with the new City Attorney?   I've read and understand the law but again understood and have PDF copy of a letter from Conboy's a CHP was good to go OC.  Full disclaimer.... I don't OC

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 04:52:05 PM »
It's never been clear to me whether or not Paul Kratz, the current Omaha City Attorney intends to honor Marty Conboy's approach on OC in Omaha with respect to NE Concealed Handgun Permits.

Since--same as you--I don't Open Carry anywhere (I'm just happy to teach the OC classes), I haven't got around to popping that particular question.

One of us oughta go ask Paul Kratz.

We all should be familiar w/Omaha MuniCodes
20-195
20-206
  Section 10 seems to permit OC for CHP holders.
And note the way Omaha Code uses the term "concealable" instead of "concealed"

"Concealable firearm: A firearm having an overall length of less than 26 inches."  [Omaha MuniCode, Section 20-291]   It isn't that the weapon is actually concealed; it's that the weapon is concealable.   Big difference.   

Some of This Stuff is so dicey, it's not worth the while to skirt around the edges.   For that reason, I do happen to maintain a current Omaha Handgun Identification Card (Open Carry Permit).     Just in case the handgun grip hangs out and shows, whatever.

sfg
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:03:08 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline Kodiak

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 05:01:32 PM »
I'd love to see the open carry laws change and def. the registration laws.  I don't live in Omaha though, so I'm only able to make so much of an impact.  Hopefully, times will change.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 09:53:47 PM »
https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10945

Sec. 20-206. Carrying weapons.

(a)
As provided in section 20-192, the carrying of a concealed weapon is expressly forbidden.
(b)
In all other cases, it shall be unlawful for a person to go armed with a loaded concealable firearm of any kind or to knowingly carry or transport a concealable firearm in a motor vehicle, provided, however, that this section shall not apply to the following persons:
(1)
Persons lawfully entitled to possess a firearm while upon the premises where he or she regularly resides or is regularly employed.
(2)
Peace officers.
(3)
Members of the armed forces of the United States, the National Guard, or the Reserve Officer Training Corps when on duty or training.
(4)
Persons who for any lawful purpose carry an unloaded concealable firearm inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person.
(5)
Persons who for any lawful purpose carry or transport an unloaded concealable firearm in a vehicle inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person or inside a cargo or luggage compartment where the concealable firearm will not be readily accessible to any person riding in the vehicle or common carrier.
(6)
Persons in or upon a shooting range or the regular business premises of a federally and city licensed firearms dealer.
(7)
Persons engaged in a generally recognized course of instruction in the use of firearms, such as hunter safety instructions or instruction for the purpose of obtaining an identification card showing satisfactory completion of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207.
(8 )
Persons who have verified to the city that they are entitled to a waiver of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207(k).
(9)
Persons who have obtained and display an identification card showing satisfactory completion of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207.
(10)
Persons possessing a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm under Nebraska Law.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. 
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.