< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: anyone has a gun blue book to look up values?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
anyone has a gun blue book to look up values?
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:43:22 PM »
I want to get a rough idea of what a gun store would say if I brought in a certain gun.

If you have one and are willing to look up for me, please message me.

Thanks,

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: anyone has a gun blue book to look up values?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »
Most gun stores would say something much less than any Blue Book value.  Gunbroker.com is the best place to go to find out what guns like yours have sold for.  Use the advanced search feature and search successful, completed auctions.

Or ... post the gun here with detailed photos and you'll probably find someone who can give you a good idea.

Offline Gonzo

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »
I have the 34th edition, just let me know what you have and I can do my best.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »
I have a 92XXXXX serial# 338 marlin express
I'm pretty sure it would be easy to find a buyer for my rifle, but the market isn't in Omaha, i would have to ship it and I'm trying to avoid that. These guns have a little cult following and are pretty popular

there is only 1 of this rifle on gunbroker and the guy is asking $1200
i don't think thats realistic, although once freedom group took over marlin and moved production to new york connecticut guns like mine kind of took off in value in the marlin circles.

trying advance search on my cell phone isn't working, work computer won't let me access any sites like gunbroker so guess i'll go without an answer for awhile

I really want a large frame 44 mag in order to do that i have to get rid of something, and since i don't want to get rid of my wife it has to be a gun.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »
there is only 1 of this rifle on gunbroker and the guy is asking $1200

Completed auctions.  Not ongoing auctions.

A recent, no reserve auction completed with 33 bids at $910 (91XXX serial number).  A JM (92XXX serial number) just went for $1136 with 14 bids.  Another JM went for $905 with a big Simmons scope and 2 bids.  I'd say that's a pretty fair representation of the retail market.  Expect about 2/3 of that if you trade it to a dealer.

There are any number of Facebook pages devoted to selling firearms across the state.  You might have to drive a little bit, but you'll probably get more than trading it to a dealer.

Of course, there's always the consignment option.  Moeller Arms sells firearms on consignment here in Omaha.

Looks like Gunbroker would treat you pretty good, though.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:03:02 PM by Mudinyeri »

Offline Gonzo

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »
if it is just like the one on gun broker:
100%-$515
98% - $425
95% - $375
90% - $325
80% - $275
70% - $235
60% - $200
Last MSRP - $643

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »
This is the exact problem I'm having local gun stores go by book only , as Idont want to ship it it kills my chances of getting market value on it

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 03:17:50 PM »
If any of you dealers want to try to try to put it online for consignment and take everything over a reserve I'd be willing to try to figure something out

Offline Gonzo

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
yup, just as previously stated expect getting 60% of what book price is-even less as some places

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 03:54:29 PM »
This is the exact problem I'm having local gun stores go by book only , as Idont want to ship it it kills my chances of getting market value on it

Why not ship it?  You can ship it yourself via USPS or contract carrier to a FFL in the purchaser's state.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 05:23:36 PM »

8)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »
Why not ship it?  You can ship it yourself via USPS or contract carrier to a FFL in the purchaser's state.

Shipping a firearm to a FFL is not a hassle.  Moeller arms has done it for me and there has been no problem.

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 07:08:03 PM »
PM sent