< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Members in Lincoln paying attention??  (Read 1577 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Members in Lincoln paying attention??
« on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/County-Board-Member--Legislative-Candidate-Ticketed-for-Drunk-Driving-255229621.html

County Board Member & Legislative Candidate Ticketed for Drunk Driving

A Lancaster County Board member is facing charges after police say he was driving drunk.

UNL police ticketed 32-year-old Brent Smoyer early Friday morning for driving while intoxicated.

According to police reports, Smoyer was pulled over after he failed to stop at a traffic light at 16th and Q Street.

Smoyer has served on the Lancaster County Board for the past four years. He is running for Nebraska Legislature in District 26 which is located in Northeast Lincoln.

~ ~ See more at link ~ ~

So, do the Lincoln area Republicans have someone to step in as a write-in candidate for this race?

It looks like Bob Van Valkenberg is the only other Republican in the race for LD26, and he's 78 years old. Not sure he'll do very well against the Dems in that area.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Members in Lincoln paying attention??
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »
oh no!  i talked to him once.  he seemed good.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »
Well somebody has to replace the drunks in the Unicameral since Conrad and Lautenbaugh are term limited......

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:54:21 PM »
Well somebody has to replace the drunks in the Unicameral since Conrad and Lautenbaugh are term limited......

HaHa. I saw a article that said that this guy previously worked for Lautenbaugh! 
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
I was under the impression that a DUI was a prerequisite for entry into the unicameral's Senator's Elite Club. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »
I have a bad feeling about Lincoln in this election.  The Democrats really are campaigning hard for Legislative seats, and they seem to be a lot more organized than the Republicans.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 07:10:04 PM »
Not from Lincoln, obviously, but...

With the legal limit being down to where you can walk by a drunk and get over the limit simply by inhaling, I find these DUI's to be less of an issue than previously. 

If he was falling down drunk, driving thru town sideswiping cars etc it would be a different story.  Or if it was a habitual thing.

We had a alcohol commissioner from Hastings who will remain nameless (Crowley, cough cough) who for some unknown reason had MULTIPLE DUI's (back when you really had to be drunk to get DUI) and he somehow managed to stay on the board way way too long.

Not making excuses, but really, unless there is more to it, not a big deal in my book.

( I have never been arrested or ticketed for drunk driving BTW)
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 07:27:30 PM »
If he was falling down drunk, driving thru town sideswiping cars etc it would be a different story.  Or if it was a habitual thing.

He's a Republican, so he's done.

If he was a Democrat, he could have multiple DUI's (that we know about), even crashing into a City snowplow, and it'd get swept under the rug.

If you doubt me on this, ask Senator Dianne "Snowplow" Conrad (ne'e Nantkes) how many DUI's it takes to derail a Democrat.  The answer is "at least 3", as she's had at least two and is only leaving due to term limits.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 05:41:02 AM »
He's a Republican, so he's done.

If he was a Democrat, he could have multiple DUI's (that we know about), even crashing into a City snowplow, and it'd get swept under the rug.

If you doubt me on this, ask Senator Danielle "Snowplow" Conrad (ne'e Nantkes) how many DUI's it takes to derail a Democrat.  The answer is "at least 3", as she's had at least two and is only leaving due to term limits.

FIFY.... and she's my Senator.

she won her last election by like 80 or so votes, but yet outspent her rival by 3x.  in District 46, we have an NFOA'er running.  he is also being outspent by a wide margin by a Dem.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 07:52:13 AM »
Keep in mind Wilson, Lautenbaugh was appointed by Heineman..... all of this tends to explain the worthless DUI laws in this state.....its the drunks who wrote/write them
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:55:01 AM by bullit »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »
FIFY.... and she's my Senator.

she won her last election by like 80 or so votes, but yet outspent her rival by 3x. in District 46, we have an NFOA'er running. he is also being outspent by a wide margin by a Dem.

Well, this is the first I've heard of that...  he should be on here rallying the troops!!

Who is it, anyway?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
So, do the Lincoln area Republicans have someone to step in as a write-in candidate for this race?

It looks like Bob Van Valkenberg is the only other Republican in the race for LD26, and he's 78 years old. Not sure he'll do very well against the Dems in that area.

I'll still be supporting Smoyer.  In fact I've already cast my vote early.  He's the only one in that race that would be worth a darn in the Unicameral.  I helped a lot on his campaign when he first ran for Legislature in 2008.  It's too bad Kathy Campbell won that race.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »
Well, this is the first I've heard of that...  he should be on here rallying the troops!!

Who is it, anyway?

PM inbound.  im not sure if he's on the forum or not.  i will just say that he likes to "hunt"  i talked to him a little bit through facebook.  i believe Andy recruited him and the NFOA guy is being wildly outspent by his Dem counterparts.