< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Just a Pointless Story....  (Read 1151 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Just a Pointless Story....
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:04:42 PM »
So This Guy Calls Me and Wants..........
Home Defensive Shotgun Training.

Well, I've got no such class being organized at the moment, but the Guy sounded pretty needful.   Turns out he lives near the area where Nikko Jenkins murdered Andrea Kruger and that event has him just a wee bit paranoid and jumpy.

Whereupon he goes out and buys a new Mossberg Model 500 (good choice).   Brings it home.   Doesn't have the slightest idea how it works or how to use it.   Which is why he called me.

So I think it over, decided to do a One-on-One custom Home Defense Shotgun Training program for him.   And charge him a pure charity fee of Fifty Bucks.   Cause he's retired and whatever.  Thinking what-the-hell and you get to meet interesting people this way and besides he's paying me to talk about guns and I would do it for free anyhow.

Turned out to be fun.   Of course.   Started w/Safety.   Of course.   And won't bore you with the rest.   Except the part about, "Well-the-shotgun-shells-go-in-this-place-here.   Just-keep-pokin'-until-you-can't-poke-any-more-in".   

Took him to my gun club.   Shot the pattern board.   After two rounds he had had enough.   Or his shoulder so had.

That last part got me to thinkin'.    About all the Folks out there who have bought guns.   And ammo.   But don't know how and where to put the ammo in the guns.   And then what to do next.

Or about lethal force and the law.
  Customer seemed surprised that you couldn't shoot the paper boy if he was caught wandering around in the house.   Or bang away at the back end of any Mossy-terrorized perps as they were running out the door.

Not sure why I'm bringing any of this stuff up, except.... later in the day at a different range this brannew trapshooter brought his Browning A5 into battery with one hand while his trigger finger on the other hand was pressed upon....   Yes.   The trigger.

I love gun stuff and teaching gun stuff.   But boyoboy, some interesting stuff happens all the time.

sfg

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:07:47 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
Re: Just a Pointless Story....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »
Yep. 

A 20 works just as well as a 12 and (usually) has a lighter kick for older/new/smaller people.  Although I had a double 20 that kicked worse than my 870.

Really too bad they don't get trained first and then go buy after they have a bit of knowledge.

But for those of us who learned from the time we were old enough to walk I guess it all seems simple.

P.S.  Kudos for taking the time and effort to give him some instruction!

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »
Well done Sir.   :)

On the other hand, I'll bet you have some stories about your CCW classes that also qualify as Handguns 101.  :o
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:56:49 PM »
On the other hand, I'll bet you have some stories about your CCW classes that also qualify as Handguns 101.

Oh, my!!

Just about any CCW Instructor gets pretty wide-eyed when you bring up THAT topic.

One of my fellow instructor-buddies was shot, but that time he didn't get a star to add to his original Purple Heart.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »
Where is the registration form for the $50 "one on one" Tactical shotgun training that also includes range time?  :D

Good Work! At least now he knows the basics & 'that he better hit the intruders in the first 2 shots'!
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:34:45 AM »
Kudos to you, FSG! I have the T590 home defense tool. I back it up with .40 cal HydraShoks.
WØCHF

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 10:53:08 AM »
I have the T590 home defense tool. I back it up with .40 cal HydraShoks.

Now That's a Social Security program that will be there for you when you need it.   Unlike that Other One.

Although I had a double 20 that kicked worse than my 870.

And I had a Benelli Folder with a stock as straight as a Drill Sergeant's spine.   Broke shoulders and rattled teeth.   So much for the "light recoil" of a 20ga.

Where is the registration form for the $50 "one on one" Tactical shotgun training that also includes range time?

Kinda Paying it Forward.   Or at least, part of it.

sfg

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 04:14:40 PM »
Thanks for helping this guy.  IMHO, a shotgun is a good choice for home defense, and a youth 20 ga is at the top of that shotgun list for many people. 

The Andrea K ordeal and the other victims, changed many peoples lives.

We all know these desperate punks, did not attack AK in her home, but in the dark, in her car, at a 4 way stop sign.    Don't think a Mossberg 500 would have been a good choice for AK to use as self defense.

AK needed a class in Refuse To Be A Victim.    Possibly an Offensive Driving Class. 

If your student wants a free Refuse To Be A Victim class, pass along my phone number.  402-325-8600

Thanks again, for helping this guy.   I pray, he has a safe to lock this gun up in.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 09:56:06 PM »
If your student wants a free Refuse To Be A Victim class, pass along my phone number.  402-325-8600

Roger That.

sfg