< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hartland Public Shooting Park Tatical Carbine  (Read 2016 times)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Hartland Public Shooting Park Tatical Carbine
« on: April 22, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
I thought I would post this up because I think I am going to head out to GI on May 2nd. Sounds like a fun time and a chance for new shooters to come out and learn the basics in practical shooting (ME).

My dad and a friend took the trip out last week and had a great time. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM maybe we can work out something out to car pool.

See attachment for info on the matches. I guess the dates are subject to change because of some scheduling issues.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Hartland Public Shooting Park Tatical Carbine
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 07:02:22 PM »
I would really like to try that if it wasn't on Fridays.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 07:47:28 PM »
Yeah that's the only down fall.. Friday night's starting at 1730 you have to leave about 1500ish... then you don't get home till 2200ish...

Wish the Ikea could get on the band wagon with that action shooting stuff. It would be nice to have a place to shoot a small match that wouldn't be all day event. I guess they are not DQ people but stopping the shooter and correcting them. At least in early matches. I figure I would do it abreast once since the old man has to go out and get his coat he left last week.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:28:03 PM »
We're getting there at the Ike's.  Just had our first IDPA match last Saturday.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:40:37 PM »
How did that go?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »
How did that go?

In short...it went well.  At least from a competitor's view point.

They originally planned to have six stages, but I was really curious as to how that was going to work.  Ike's, as you may know, doesn't have any pistol bays, so the match was held at the far end of the 300 yard range in front of the large berm/backstop. 

Because of this, they initially set up three stages and had a competitor at stage one shoot.  Once they were done they would have someone shoot at stage 2, and so on.  After all three stages had been shot, they scored everything, pasted, and then started the process again.  It ran pretty well, but due to the complexity, it just ate up all the time.  We were done with the third stage around 6:00pm, which was the scheduled end of the match, so they decided to stop with three stages.

Due to Ike's rules, the RO's were DQ'ing anyone that raised their muzzle over the backstop.  I believe there were four DQ's probably all related to the same thing.  Not dissing on the police, but I understand there was one police officer who was DQ'd for a high muzzle.  In his defense, the academy taught the officers to raise the muzzle and look through the trigger guard so that the reload was happening right in their line of sight.

I believe everyone, sans the people who were DQ'd, was happy with the match.  A good turnout too.  Something like 30 shooters.  The guys running it are good guys.  Thanks to them for all their hard work. 

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
I am glad things went well. I realize that they do not want to shut down all the ranges for the day but couldn't they shoot pistols on the 75yd range? From what I know that range looks to be a great set up for moving and shooting berms on 3 sides long enough that they could have a fairly long stage.... I am not a member of the Ikes (yet) and I'm sure its against there rules but it just looked like a good spot to me...

As far as the DQ's.... so this reload was not allowed?

If so I could see how people with a lot of practice time using this reload could be DQ.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »
As far as the DQ's.... so this reload was not allowed?

Yes.  That muzzle direction likely would have been a DQ.

I realize that they do not want to shut down all the ranges for the day but couldn't they shoot pistols on the 75yd range?

I am only making an educated guess here, but my assumption is that they wanted the REALLY high backstop the 300 yard provides.  I don't think any other backstop at Ike's (75 yard range included) is as high.  If they continue with the DQ's for muzzle above the berm, then the 75 yard range would likely have resulted in many more DQ's, and a LOT less fun for more shooters. 

At ENGC, they have three sided pistol bays, but the berms are probably 8-10 foot on most of them.  Regardless, they are nowhere near as high as the Ike's 300 yard.  At ENGC you can point your muzzle over the top all day long, BUT if you break the 180 rule, it is a trip to Dairy Queen for you...AND you don't even get a treat.  Don't ask me how I know.  :-[

Fly

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:55:11 AM »
WOW... I understand why they are doing it with having houses so close to the west... If you had your finger on in the trigger then I can see the DQ but finger out? Oh well there house there rules..  :)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
WOW... I understand why they are doing it with having houses so close to the west... If you had your finger on in the trigger then I can see the DQ but finger out? Oh well there house there rules..  :)

Yeah...the rules for USPSA (and IDPA I believe) say the finger has to be "visibly outside the trigger guard".  However, this is often hard to see.  The RO has to be at the right angle, and with the speed at which some people do their reloads, it will be that much more difficult to catch.  The muzzle over the berm rule is a sure fire way to discourage a round from going out of the range.  I'm hoping the Ike's can build some pistol bays in a location where a stray pistol round won't be a hazard to surrounding houses.  Then the rule may be relaxed.  Otherwise, I don't see action pistol matches really taking off at Ike's.

ETA: The Ike's manager (Mike) and possible another board member were out watching the match.  They seemed to be happy with what they saw.  Especially the DQ's which were an example of how serious IDPA Nebraska is about keeping all the lead in the range.  So attitudes may be changing...slowly.

Fly
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:18:07 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 01:05:23 PM »
The long term plan is (hopefully) to build some dedicated bays for action shooting.  There are quite a few projects in the queue so I don't know what the timeline is on that, but if IDPA continues to be a success it will definitely prove that there is a demand for that type of facility and will help justify the cost of construction.

The Ike's organization is trying very hard to avoid any problems with neighbors downrange.  There is one person who has had some complaints that I don't want to go into here, but management and the board is very sensitive about trying to be a good neighbor and avoid any complications. 

Anyway, enough hijacking this thread - if you do go to the Grand Island match be sure to get pictures.  It sounds like fun.  I'm interested in all kinds of action shooting (as long as I don't have to wear a silly cowboy outfit) ;D

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »
I bet you would look good in a cowboy hat!

These are some pictures from the last event that my Dad took. He learned over bore with a car...
 :-\

I will take more pictures next week when we go out. I might try and take some video depending on how bad I do...

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »
Looks like they should take a look at the US Carbine Association.  :)

https://www.facebook.com/USCarbineAssociation

http://www.uscarbineassociation.com/

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »
Leaving at about 1600 tomorrow truck has some empty seats [emoji3]