< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bar/gun range?  (Read 3894 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Bar/gun range?
« on: April 23, 2014, 02:16:12 PM »
Anyone hear anything about Big Shots applying for a liquor license?
 Even with the plans I heard, I'm not sure I feel good about this.
True/rumor?
Thoughts?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:09:02 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Bar/gun range?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »
If they also start selling bacon they'll have everything I need in life.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
LoL!!! In the history of bad ideas...

I did go back thru Jan 1 of all liquer license applications and could not find anything with their name or addy on it... Would be curious where you heard that?  Maybe they are planning an event?
N0ZXR

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
LoL!!! In the history of bad ideas...

I did go back thru Jan 1 of all liquer license applications and could not find anything with their name or addy on it... Would be curious where you heard that?  Maybe they are planning an event?

Ok, I'm at home on the lappytop, now.
Heard from a coworker, IIRC he saw it on the news or paper. 
Sounds like the idea is to have a card to access range and lounge area.  Once you have entered the lounge, your card will no longer allow access to the range.  My concern would be the firearms in your possession in your vehicle on your way home, even if within the legal limit to drive, what about anyone with a CHP?  Even if you do not have a firearm on your person, but unloaded in the vehicle?
Now don't get me wrong, THAT would be the responsibility (read choice) of the individual, not the owner of the range.  I am just interested to see IF this is actually something, and if so, would love to be at that Lincoln City Council Meeting!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
Some must feel a bar & shooting range are acceptable.
http://www.friscogunclub.com/vip-club.php
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 04:25:01 PM »
FWIW......

My trap range sells beer by the can.   Posts signs to the effect:
Shoot First; Drink Later.

IIRC, other area trap ranges do likewise.

So far, seems to be a non-issue.   Not my game, but seems to work for others.   I've heard rumors that a recently renovated trap range in Omaha is applying for a liquor (beer) license, but so far such talk is unverified.

Now....back to main topic of this thread:

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »
I think 88 Tactical's new facility is going to have a liquor license.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 04:42:20 PM »
And I absolutely agree, it can work with responsible shooters.  I'm more interested in the press that such a request would bring in the city of Lincoln.  I mean the firestorm that surrounded the downtown movie theater asking for a LL!!

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »
I bet they are doing it, so the history of Negligent Discharges in their gun classes, don't sting so bad in the future?

If any gun shop thinks they can mix guns and alcohol, they should have both business licenses revoked! 

The place was a bar before.  If they wanted a bar, why dump a million dollars into a place, changing it to a gun range, only to want the bar back again? 

I hope this is a bad rumor, and not a foolish idea, that is not only dangerous, but gives a bad impression of the gun community.

This idea is dumber than the NRA having a wine club.

I won't mention names, but a certain CHP instructor, teaches his classes in a bar, with liquor bottles all over the place, and a well stocked beer fridge.   Has that come back to haunt him?  Not yet. 

There is prudent, and there is foolish. 

Mixing alcohol, and guns, is never a good idea, unless you are a regulatory agency.  BATFE seems to juggle it OK. 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:07:22 PM by Gary »

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 05:22:25 PM »
I think 88 Tactical's new facility is going to have a liquor license.

Yes it will. There are many shooting ranges throughout the U.S. that have cocktail lounges settled within. Building design, controlled access points, use of technology and software, and extreme protocol prevents members from consuming any alcohol within the facility prior to entering any shooting lane. Firearm safety and safe use of the facility is first and foremost.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 05:40:05 PM »
FWIW......

My trap range sells beer by the can.   Posts signs to the effect:
Shoot First; Drink Later.

IIRC, other area trap ranges do likewise.

So far, seems to be a non-issue.   Not my game, but seems to work for others.   I've heard rumors that a recently renovated trap range in Omaha is applying for a liquor (beer) license, but so far such talk is unverified.

Now....back to main topic of this thread:

sfg

The Lincoln Izaak Walton League does the same thing. 

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 09:01:27 PM »
It's funny how easy it is to get some to think like liberals. :P I drink after shooting most of the time, of course it is on private property and I am not going to be leaving, but still. I have a very low tolerance for nanny-staters. I am not thumbing my nose at safety, just willing to give adults the chance to make adult decisions. I hate how so many people think they are experts on human behavior and that liberty should be curtailed to protect people from themselves. We live in a world where people feel compelled to tell others how to live and I don't like that.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 09:12:05 PM »
I am not thumbing my nose at safety, just willing to give adults the chance to make adult decisions. I hate how so many people think they are experts on human behavior and that liberty should be curtailed to protect people from themselves. We live in a world where people feel compelled to tell others how to live and I don't like that.

If you ever consider running for a public office, you have my vote.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 09:41:49 PM »
It's funny how easy it is to get some to think like liberals. :P I drink after shooting most of the time, of course it is on private property and I am not going to be leaving, but still. I have a very low tolerance for nanny-staters. I am not thumbing my nose at safety, just willing to give adults the chance to make adult decisions. I hate how so many people think they are experts on human behavior and that liberty should be curtailed to protect people from themselves. We live in a world where people feel compelled to tell others how to live and I don't like that.

I couldn't agree more! What is next? A breathalyzer on your gun case to access your new 'smart gun'
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 11:02:25 PM »
Mixing alcohol, and guns, is never a good idea, unless you are a regulatory agency.  BATFE seems to juggle it OK. 

Ha. You reminded me of one of the best Onion articles ever. http://www.theonion.com/articles/bureau-of-alcohol-tobacco-firearms-reaches-trade-a,537/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:04:33 PM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 11:25:03 PM »
Most people tend to row whatever boat they are in.  I have no fondness for feeling drunk, at any level.  Don't care for the taste, don't care for the buzz.  Sober is my preference.

Now, if that has colored my attitude about mixing guns and drinking in public places, I guess I am the odd ball. 

Seems to me I recall something about having a concealed Carry permit, and the holder of that permit being in violation of the law at .0001 level of alcohol in their system, if they CC.  I guess the State thinks like I do, on that subject, in the case of CC.

There are standards, there are exceptions, and there are :o ideas.  The challenge in life, is figuring out what fits what circumstance. 

OK, what goes well with a bar atmosphere?

Pizza, Keno, ESPN, maybe a floor show.    I just don't see any wisdom of mixing gun powder, under the same business roof as spirits. 

Taking it one step further, I bet lots of people would shun any gun range, with a alcohol license.  I know I would not set foot in one.

In college, I was a theology major, majoring in destructive cults.    One thing we learned, is it can be OK, to go into a bar, looking for a lost sheep.  However, it is not OK, to drink in the bar, even drink water.  Why water?  Because the act of drinking in a bar, even water, leaves an impression in the minds of others.  The wrong impression.  As a range owner, what impression do you want to make on people seeing your business?

I own a range, indoor range, private, at my home.  I do CC classes there.  Do I offer my students a cold beer after they pass their CC class?   H*ll no! 

I think a hunting bar would be great.  Mounts on the wall, bass fishing videos on the TV's, canoes hanging from the ceiling.  Guns bolted to the wall.  (Cut in half, long ways, so you can display the same gun twice, and it cannot be stolen, and fired) but drinking at a gun range?

Really?

1999, State Patrol.  Classes. Several officers, adjourn, and go to lunch.  No drinking, only coffee, pop, and fast food.  After lunch, one trooper, just one, messes up, and a live round remained in his pistol, when the class resumed after lunch.   Just one simple error, and Nebraska lost a trooper, a wife lost her partner, and children, lost their dad. 

Range in question, sweeps customers now, showing guns, and we want them, to add a liquor license?

Sure, why not. 

We have a Kenyon in the White House.  We have Hillary selling arms through diplomats, and leaving them to be killed, to destroy the evidence.

We have our Military Industrial Complex killing Presidents, staging false flags, starting unjust wars, and on and on and on.  In the big picture, go ahead.  All standards seems to be out the window.

Maybe after this post, maybe I should join the NRA wine club? lol

https://www.nrawineclub.com/em0113a/?src=nraem0113a

Does this send the wrong message?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:05:54 AM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 11:56:32 PM »
Ha. You reminded me of one of the best Onion articles ever. http://www.theonion.com/articles/bureau-of-alcohol-tobacco-firearms-reaches-trade-a,537/

Is that a real story?  Or a joke?  That article turned me into a mouth breather. 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 12:17:44 AM »
Time for a story.

Years ago, in Beatrice, I was locking up my shop on Court street, in the alley, late at night.

Across the alley, a very loud drunk, was ran out of a bar for fighting.  In his hands were car keys, and he was trying to figure out how to open his locked car door.

I walked up to this guy, and told him I would help unlock his door.  The guy looked grateful, and handed me his keys.  I tossed them on the roof of the bar, and waited to be pummeled.   This guy started to go back into fight mode, but my 6'7" frame, might have sobered him up just a tad.

A few days go by, and I get a letter from the Beatrice Chief Of Police.  It was an accommodation letter from the department, for not allowing this guy to get into his car.

Twenty other people were willing to let this guy drive off, including the bar owner. 

In this case, we have range owners that want to include liquor licenses, to attract customers, while I give gun safety classes away, do two CC classes every week, to keep class size small, and charge lower fees than anyone.

Should I give up trying so hard, or maybe offer to give a bag of K2 to every CC graduate?

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 06:35:52 AM »
Alcohol is available everywhere. Quick shops, grocery stores and drug stores. Places CCW holders and folks on the way to the range to shoot may stop at on any given day. They arrive at the range and there is a bar in the same facility. Suddenly the presence of alcohol robs them of all caution and judgment. They drink and shoot, carry concealed with disastrous results. Really? Responsible gun owners and shooters of all kinds are trusted everyday to be sober and safe when involved with firearms. If just the availability of intoxicants is the standard for revoking the right to keep and bear arms then we should all be disarmed. We have to be careful about how we view the regulation of our rights based on what someone might do or how the most careless or ignorant among us might act.     

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »
THIS! ^^^

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum