< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: One More Glock With A Great Simple Mod  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
One More Glock With A Great Simple Mod
« on: April 25, 2014, 02:51:34 AM »
I went twenty plus years, owning just one Glock. 

I purchased a Glock 21, .45acp, ages ago, about when the Tupperware gun showed up.

In a couple years, I traded that for a Glock 20, because the ammo hit harder, and the magazine held more ammo.  I figured plus, plus, was win, win.

I still have that gun, all these many years later.

Then 2013 showed up, and my Glocks started multiplying like rabbits.

Yesterday, one more showed up.  Now I have 7 of the darn things. 

Yesterdays Glock was a Glock 22C.  .40 S&W.  I already had a Glock 23C, and the only reason I purchased the G22C was I am taking a gun class, that has shooting a Glock, out to 25 yards.  The G22, is just a little longer barrel, than the G23. 

Figure if it helps me pass the class, might as well get a longer version. 

Any of you guys, buying too much Glock Stock, like I am?

Funny thing is, I do not count striker fire guns, as my first choice.  I prefer a hammer gun. 

This gun, had a mod (used police department trade in) that is super.  Cuts in slide, to grip the slide, were filled in with thin strips of traction tape.   The stuff you put on wet floors, or on anything you want to make safe from falls, slipping, etc.

That works so well, I got out a roll of the stuff, and made some slivers to put on my Glock 23C, my CC gun.    Works great!

Anyone want to do this mod to your Glock, bring it to my shop, at 1st & O street, and I will hook you up, while we chat, no charge. 

Offline MHicks

• Forum Member
Re: One More Glock With A Great Simple Mod
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »
That is pretty slick Gary.  Or not slick depending on how you technically look at it.

I don't have any Glocks but might have to see if I have a pistol running around that I can do this with.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:05:32 PM »
That is pretty slick Gary.  Or not slick depending on how you technically look at it.

I don't have any Glocks but might have to see if I have a pistol running around that I can do this with.

Not owning a Glock, may not be a bad idea, who knew they were addictive?  lol

For another project, years ago, I purchased this huge roll of traction tape.  Never used much of it.  I have enough traction tape, to add this mod, to about every Glock ever made, at 1/6" of an inch strips.   I had used this concept on slides, and grips before, but never thought to down play the material, by placing it in  the low spots.  In the groves, it makes the traction tape less aggressive, but bold enough, to still do the job, and the well it is in, protects the tape from moving, or getting caught on things.

Offline docwithaglock

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »
Gonna have to try that.  I never feel I have as firm a grip on the slide as I would like.
Glock Ego Fedis Deo et Patriae

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 09:02:09 PM »
at 1/6" of an inch strips.

Gary:

How do you cut the traction tape?   Ruler and X-Acto knife??  Razor blade?

Do the tape ends stick well, or do they pull loose and have to be constantly pushed back down into the grooves?

Seems like the traction tape would work on any handgun w/serrated slide.   Not just Glocks.

You've touched here on a kinda critical issue.   That is, getting a good grip on the slide for racking purposes.   For example, all those CHP folks who don't travel with one in the chamber have to be concerned about gripping and racking.   Under stress.   On rainy days.   After eating pizza.

I've never felt like I ever get a really good grip on the serrated slides of SA handguns.  Especially the Baby Sub-compacts.  Grip starts slippin' just about the time I start squeezin' and pullin' the slide for slingshot.

This mod seems like a step in the right direction.

sfg
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:05:49 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »
One thing to be careful of with grip tape is it can stick to fabric and impede your draw.

My competition gun has grip tape on the front strap and back strap and it really does make a difference.  My carry gun has just a tiny bit on the front strap, where it won't come into contact with my shirt.  This is on a cz75 that has smooth metal in front and back.

I've drawn my competition gun from concealment when shooting idpa and if I'm not careful my shirt will stick to the grip tape and tangle up the gun.  I have no experience in using tape on the slide, though.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 12:12:13 AM »
Do the tape ends stick well, or do they pull loose and have to be constantly pushed back down into the grooves?

Grip tape sticks great and remains in place...IF the adhesion surface is properly prepared.  I would suggest a REALLY thorough cleaning with denatured alcohol.

One other concern I would have with grip tape on a concealed handgun is abrasion.  That stuff is ROUGH, and is going to rub raw anything it comes into contact with.  Skin, inner shirt, outer cover garment, etc.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 10:41:54 PM »
I had some sand-grit-type tape on my XDm (which was my carry gun a couple of years ago) and I noticed it would grab my shirt and hold it in place while the rest of me moved around... so it basically helped print the gun.  I switched it out to the rubberized tape and that worked a lot better for that application.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 10:19:38 AM »
All good concerns above.  I measured the strips, and it comes out to 3mm x 18mm.

The stuff I use is $50 a roll, and is very much glued on.  So far, so good. 

I have not figured out the best way of cutting it yet.  I use a piece of wood, a steel ruler, and a one sided  razor. 

A pair of scissors works also, but there is more waste for the strips that come out too wide or too narrow. 

Beretta Storm, finger groves are two narrow.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »
The friction tape I use, is pretty industrial stuff. 

The original photo was a used Glock I purchased, that gave me the idea.  My tape is thicker, and a bolder tread pattern.

My tape, sticks out above the finger groves.  Is that good or bad?  Time will tell.    I think the high points will wear down over time.