< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Doin' The Vogel  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Doin' The Vogel
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »
Just finished two days down south in KS at Mill Creek Rifle Club.  Attended Bob Vogel's "World Class Pistol Skills" class. 

Sad to see I was the only Nebraskan in the class of 15.   :( 

Fired about 1000 rounds in two days.  My hands, despite the manly 1911 calluses on them, are a little tore up.  Various parts of my body are sore.  Today is a national day of recovery.  :)

Most of the class was spent running drills of various kinds.  And of course, we got introduced to the "Vogel" grip, which is weird and uses muscles in my arms that I normally don't use.  Suffice it to say, he has you gripping and torquing the gun in ways I hadn't considered before. 

The class IMHO was mainly aimed at the competition side of the house.  The hosts believe it was a "combat" oriented class.  I disagree.  Bob's lectures were mostly about ways to cut your stage times (planning/footwork etc) and how to deal with the psychological aspects of competition.   There was no mention of "Condition White" or "Yellow" or whatever. 

He's a big believer in the "Captains of Crush" training aids for developing grip strength.   He smokes the #3.  I'm still stuck on #1.

When Bob shakes your hand, you know it.

He demo'ed all the drills before we shot them naturally.  VERY impressive.  The man can shoot.  No one else in the class came remotely close to his times in the various drills. 

I learned that I don't have to have 20/20 vision to be a good pistol shooter, at least according to Vogel.  Cool.  Check. (I'll have to quit using that excuse now I guess.)

"The buzzer sets you free."  Check.

"What you say is what you do."  Check.

This guy needs to conduct a class at ENGC or Heartland or something.  :)

And finally, ('cause I know everyone expects it), the 1911 ran great, despite sand, mud, blowing sand and the occasional horizontal rain.  Had one misfire (Tula primer? High primer? Wet primer?), but other than that not one hitch in the giddy up.  (Not all the polymer guns in the class can say that.)  Yes, there were three other 1911's in the class on day one.  Day two, one guy didn't show and other went to a Glock of some kind.  Those two guys had issues.  (One was a tricked out double stack race gun that would make JMB puke and the other a Taurus.)  The other 1911 in the class appeared to work fine so far as I know but he was a gamer and ran 10 round mags.  :)

Vogel runs a 34.  With some aftermarket springs in various places to reduce the trigger pull. 

Mill Creek is a good place to shoot (Just west of KC) and the KS folks were warm and friendly.   They will be hosting Frank Proctor in October (11th?)

I darn near shot the steel IPSC plate at 25 yards in 1.3 seconds from the draw but missed it "by that much."  I did ring it in 1.7 though, which is blazing for me.  (No concealment/leather belt holster).  Kydex was everwhere.  (Maybe that's a clue?)

Now I have to go practice that weird Vogel grip thing.  :)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:11:03 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Doin' The Vogel
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:10:58 AM »
That grip is becoming popular everywhere I think. I have watched the first part of the Magpul pistol training videos and  they show the same grip. I tried it out shooting on Saturday and I kept tucking my trigger hand thumb under my support hand. I need to start dry practicing my draw to grip to site picture.... I just finished my Kydex holster last night... time to start using IT! I need to stop being lazy and get some mag carriers made up so I practice my reloads also.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »
Well....we'll see how much you learned this Saturday at IDPA Nebraska....

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »
Well....we'll see how much you learned this Saturday at IDPA Nebraska....

Meh... nuthin' to it.  I learned much.  Focus on the trigger and press the sights straight back to your nose. 

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »
That grip is becoming popular everywhere I think. I have watched the first part of the Magpul pistol training videos and  they show the same grip.

Is that a new Magpul video?  I've seen the original Magpul pistol videos, and while they go for a thumbs-forward grip, I don't see them having it that far forward. 

(To my way of thinking, the major difference between Vogel's grip and the rest out there is the serious adherence to torquing both hands inwards with that inward rotation.) 

A number of other people put the off-hand at various levels of "forward," some more than others.   Most people who put them VERY far forward end up locking their wrists, raising their shoulders, and doing the tactical turtle to keep the grip out there.  Vogel doesn't end up doing that simply because his grip is so ridiculous he can keep his elbows relatively relaxed while still gripping the gun strongly.

I note that for me, my hands aren't big enough (compared to the gun) to get my off-side hand that far forward without ending up with less grip strength.  Vogel's actual grip strength is insane, though.  Manny Bragg got him started on the Captains of Crush grippers awhile back, and he built up some crazy grip strength with them.  (Like Lorimor, I'm only on a #1.  However, since I don't have gorilla-sized hands, I'm just never going to be that strong, either.)

Most of the class was spent running drills of various kinds.  And of course, we got introduced to the "Vogel" grip, which is weird and uses muscles in my arms that I normally don't use.  Suffice it to say, he has you gripping and torquing the gun in ways I hadn't considered before. 

It's an interesting grip.  Vogel is a beast, and an seriously good shooter.  (And knows his stuff from a tactical point of view, too.  I bet they didn't ask HIM if he thought this was a tactical class...)

If you look at his hand size on the G34 (size of palm and length of fingers), it starts to make sense why that grip works so well for him.  He gets all of both hands on the grip, can cover most of the gun well up towards the front without giving up any grip on the back, and can clamp down with all of his strength to lock it in place without actually locking up his elbows and shoulders.

For myself (in terms of what of his method I can apply to my shooting), the "get the hand high on the gun" is important (which I already emphasize to myself), the "don't use a monkey grip" is VERY important, and I haven't thought about it that way before---I was using the correct method of gripping, but that is a REALLY good way to describe the bad grip.  We don't want to grab the gun like a hammer, we want our grip to extend our hand upward as high as possible on the backstrap.

His far-front hand position just isn't going to work for me unless I either grow larger hands, or manage a #3 CoC gripper, neither of which is likely in the near future.  :)

The "inward torque" of both wrists is interesting to me---I've tried it several times, and it always results in my tensing my upper body so much (to create that torque) that my transitions slow WAY down.  (Without a commensurate increase in recoil control.)

I know a couple of big guys who love it, though. 

Fun thing about technique---so far, there isn't just One Right Way (though it is certainly true that there are plenty of techniques that are significantly sub-optimal)---and one good thing to do is to find a really good shooter whose hands and grip are similar to yours, and look and what works for them. 

Vogel is about my size (-ish) but his hands and grip bear no resemblance to mine.
:) 

On the other hand, I've had the best luck with Manny Bragg's shooting grip/concepts, and HIS hands don't match mine in any way either.  Go figure.     ::)

Proctor class in October?  He doing just pistol, or pistol and carbine?  (I want to take his pistol/carbine class....)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
You know what say about a man with big hands ......

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:08:12 PM »

Proctor class in October?  He doing just pistol, or pistol and carbine?  (I want to take his pistol/carbine class....)

If I heard correctly, it's just a handgun class.  Scott at Covert Dynamics there in KC will again be the host. 

https://www.covertdynamics.com/Hosted_Training.html

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »

(To my way of thinking, the major difference between Vogel's grip and the rest out there is the serious adherence to torquing both hands inwards with that inward rotation.) 

Being a little on the slow side, I was trying to press inwards with my pecs to get the side to side thing.  Never, ever thought about simply torquing inwards with my hands. 

Much, much easier and I think better.  :)

Now to keep the support arm higher and both arms straighter. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 02:02:23 PM »
Being a little on the slow side, I was trying to press inwards with my pecs to get the side to side thing.  Never, ever thought about simply torquing inwards with my hands. 

Much, much easier and I think better.  :)

Now to keep the support arm higher and both arms straighter. 

Oh, somebody (hearing it described that way) will manage to get it wrong by twisting their wrists to apply torque, as opposed to rotating their arms in.  However, it is REALLY hard to do that, and much easier to instead do it right by rotating the arms inward (which does require using the pecs). 

It is certainly easier to THINK about it as "rotating the hands inward."  :)  That technique just doesn't happen to work well for me.  Better individual-shot recoil control, MUCH worse transition and movement times. 

And when I use my grip correctly (using my version of Manny's method), my recoil control is fine, so Vogel's method just doesn't get me much in the way of improvement.  Like I said, though, I can think of several other people I know who got measurably better when they started to torque the hands inward---for their grip, hand size, and body type, it made quite a difference.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »
Is that a new Magpul video?  I've seen the original Magpul pistol videos, and while they go for a thumbs-forward grip, I don't see them having it that far forward. 

I didn't know they had more then one handgun... It is the "Art of the Dynamic Handgun" it has Chris Costa and Travis Haley. I was poking around YouTube one day and found it. For a guy that doesn't know a lot about shooting handguns it is very informative. I am kicking around the idea of getting the hole set but yet again it is not a actual training class.

I do see what your talking about that the grip is different. I might try it the next time I try fire. I have a hard time with my hands... I do have big hands and I find myself struggling at times to get everything were they need to be... honestly I struggle bringing my trigger finger back when I have my hand high and deep on the gun. Need to practice more take my time and make sure that everything is right each time

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
I didn't know they had more then one handgun... It is the "Art of the Dynamic Handgun" it has Chris Costa and Travis Haley. I was poking around YouTube one day and found it. For a guy that doesn't know a lot about shooting handguns it is very informative. I am kicking around the idea of getting the hole set but yet again it is not a actual training class.

Ah.  Okay---yes, they teach a thumbs-forward grip, fairly far forward, but not nearly as much as Vogel does.  (His is actually ridiculously forward, really.  Significant parts of his grip are actually forward of the trigger guard.)  They don't, however, really do any of the inward torque he discusses.

In the magpul videos, if you are watching their stance and grip, you DON'T want to use their elbow, shoulder, and head position.  Locking out the elbows, wearing your shoulders as earrings, and tucking your head into the tactical turtle is a bad idea.

Their grip is okay.  :)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »
You know what say about a man with big hands ......

Yep...big gloves.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 03:01:50 PM »
Ah.  Okay---yes, they teach a thumbs-forward grip, fairly far forward, but not nearly as much as Vogel does.  (His is actually ridiculously forward, really.  Significant parts of his grip are actually forward of the trigger guard.)  They don't, however, really do any of the inward torque he discusses.

In the magpul videos, if you are watching their stance and grip, you DON'T want to use their elbow, shoulder, and head position.  Locking out the elbows, wearing your shoulders as earrings, and tucking your head into the tactical turtle is a bad idea.

Their grip is okay.  :)

Thinking about it I know exactly what you mean. They don't really teach that but they show it a lot. I will remember to keep my shoulder pads down  ;D

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 03:14:33 PM »
If I'm getting cut up from my grip, it's the wrong grip for me.  I'll stick to what I've been doing since I'm not a gamer.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »
If I'm getting cut up from my grip, it's the wrong grip for me.  I'll stick to what I've been doing since I'm not a gamer.

Heh.  I don't get cut up with my grip either, and it is high on the gun (can't go any higher, with my hands).  And last I knew, being able to shoot quickly and accurately works in all sorts of situations, in addition to "gaming."

You know, like self-defense.  As one example.

I will note that NOT having a high grip has a measurably detrimental action on recoil control, affecting split times, transitions, and accuracy at speed.  YMMV, of course, and everyone can shoot however they like.  As I said above, though, it is true that while there is no One True Way, there are a number of verifiably inefficient and incorrect ways to do things.

(As an additional note, Bob Vogel is a former police officer and SWAT team member, in addition to a former firearms instructor for police and SWAT team members.  He probably knows a couple of things other than gaming.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:54:13 PM by jthhapkido »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »
Heh.  I don't get cut up with my grip either, and it is high on the gun (can't go any higher, with my hands).  And last I knew, being able to shoot quickly and accurately works in all sorts of situations, in addition to "gaming."

You know, like self-defense.  As one example.

I will note that NOT having a high grip has a measurably detrimental action on recoil control, affecting split times, transitions, and accuracy at speed.  YMMV, of course, and everyone can shoot however they like.  As I said above, though, it is true that while there is no One True Way, there are a number of verifiably inefficient and incorrect ways to do things.

(As an additional note, Bob Vogel is a former police officer and SWAT team member, in addition to a former firearms instructor for police and SWAT team members.  He probably knows a couple of things other than gaming.)

Yep

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 07:56:32 AM »
Exciting action photo from Sunday (after the big rain):

Vogel looks on in utter amazement as I shoot.  (ahem)

Don't try this at home. 

You have to be exceptionally tactical get down and put the bend on your knees and ankles like that.  Kneeling put me too high on the first run, so I decided to take one for the team and get down low.  Feet splayed out and butt in the dirt. 

Yes, I can be a formidable brigand even at 57.   :P

After the run, Bob remarked that he had never seen that and tried it for himself.    Don't know if he'll work it into his repertoire or not.   :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:59:07 AM by Lorimor »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 10:46:12 AM »
Feet splayed out and butt in the dirt.

MAN!  I don't know if I could get in that position.  That's commitment right there.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
You have to be exceptionally tactical get down and put the bend on your knees and ankles like that.  Kneeling put me too high on the first run, so I decided to take one for the team and get down low.  Feet splayed out and butt in the dirt. 

Ow.

How long did it take you to get back UP after that?

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 10:52:38 AM »
I might get into that position, don't know if id be able to get up tho.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016