< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Safety Concerns For New Glock Owners (all of us really)  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Safety Concerns For New Glock Owners (all of us really)
« on: May 03, 2014, 11:58:06 PM »
So, you just purchased a Glock.  Sweet!  They are fine firearms.  (depending on who you ask I guess lol)

My Glock experience goes back to the beginning of the 90's.   My first one was a Glock 21, .45 acp to replace a Star PD 1911 clone. 

I kept that a year or two, trading that for a more powerful, higher capacity Glock 20 10mm.

I have never had a ND (negligent discharge) with a Glock, 100% safety record (knock on wood) but I will be the first one to preach to the choir, they are dangerous handguns, if you walk away from sound safety principles.

First, very important, every gun is always assumed loaded.  Always.  Check it every time you pick it up.  Picked it up five minutes ago, and walked away? Before you do anything with the handgun, Check it again.

Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on a verified target with a proper backstop.

Never point a gun at anything, you are not prepared to destroy.

There are more safety rules, but the big 3 should go along ways in keeping you safe.  After you memorize, look for a full list of ten or twelve.  Can't be too safe.

Is that all you need, to be safe around a Glock?  No.  Not even close.

A Glock, is like a pit bull, that has not been fed in two days.  It does require special handling IMHO.

First off, unlike many semi-auto pistols, with a short, light, trigger pull, a Glock, has NO EXTERNAL SAFETY.   Glocks are extremely easy to shoot.  Requires less training, the Glock folks say.    So if that is correct, and they are easy to shoot, maybe, just maybe, they are also quick to get into problems with?    Some folks think so. 

My opinion, if you take a Glock home, it does require you to fully (FULLY) learn how the gun works, what makes it tick, and what makes it go Bang.

Owners Manual.  Study it, cover to cover, many times.   Follow the directions, and more importantly, follow the warnings. 

This video is important in the use of any handgun, but maybe more so for a Glock.  Watch this video, several times. 

(((Post continued later)))

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:31:34 AM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: Safety Concerns For New Glock Owners (all of us really)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 12:46:07 AM »
Cleaning A Glock Pistol

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:48:47 AM »
Lubricate Your Glock

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 12:53:24 AM »
Just throw it in the dishwasher with the rest of your tupperware.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 12:59:22 AM »
IWB Carry & Holsters

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
Just throw it in the dishwasher with the rest of your tupperware.

Don't forget the cascade, to control spots!

Offline DJSIMS

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »
Use hot water, works great!!!
Having a CCW is like a seat belt in a car, a hassle to put on and uncomfortable to wear, you pray you never need it but thank God for it if you do. It is there to protect yourself and your family the only difference is a seatbelt is MANDATORY by law!! ~ Me
Former USMC, NRA life member, NAGR, GOA