< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Free Concealed Carry Class for Fathers on Fathers Day  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Free Concealed Carry Class for Fathers on Fathers Day
« on: May 05, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
Someone pointed out, giving away a free concealed carry class to Mothers on Mothers Day was unfair to the fathers. 

So to be fair, I will do the same on Fathers Day, for the dads.

To register for a free Fathers Day concealed Carry class, go to my web site, and register.   www.guns1roses.com

This is only available on line.  100% discount code is dad

For dads that wish to bring along adult children or a spouse to the class, we will let them in for half price, of our already discounted $100 price.   They can register with the discount code half

Happy Fathers Day! 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:08:19 PM by Gary »

Offline Jerry Lundegard

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Free Concealed Carry Class for Fathers on Fathers Day
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:34:19 PM »
That's really generous of you.  Thanks for posting

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »
While I am in need of finally getting mine, I don't know that I would feel right taking such a steep discount.  If there are others interested in this specific class, I would be willing to "tip" handsomely.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
Ok, ok... I'll bite!   ;D  I've signed up.  It should be a hoot.  And thank you BTW.

I'll bring the Maker's Mark for afterwards.  <<<===JUST KIDDING ABOUT THAT PART!!!!!
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »
The greatest "TIPS" for any gun class are these:

Keep your muzzle pointed away from anything you do not want to destroy.  This includes the target, and what may be behind it

Keep your finger off the trigger, until your sights are on the target, and you have made a decision to shoot as your next sequence.

Keep your gun unloaded and in a gun safe, until you are ready to use it.    Use means monitoring the gun responsibility 100% of the time, via holster placement on your body, or hand contact.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »
Ok, ok... I'll bite!   ;D  I've signed up.  It should be a hoot.  And thank you BTW.

I'll bring the Maker's Mark for afterwards.  <<<===JUST KIDDING ABOUT THAT PART!!!!!

Hoot?  Should we add that to the NRA Instructors cap?

Knowledge

Skills

Attitude

Hoot

I don't think it has a good ring to it.

I have two suites, in suite 6, the body arts side, we have had some Hooting going on in there, from time to time. 

Glad to have you guys aboard. 

For folks that have a Concealed Carry permit already, this would not be a bad time, to brush up on some skills, or pick up on some ideas, you may not have come across before. 

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 05:04:50 PM »
 why cant you use reloaded ammo? I don't own a weapon besides 22 that has ever had a factory round thru it,

I know its his class and he can make any rules he wants. just wonder why?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:26:49 PM by shooter »
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
why cant you use reloaded ammo? I don't own a weapon besides 22 that has ever had a factory round thru it,

I know its his class and he can make any rules he wants. just wonder why?

My guess would be because not everybody makes good handloads, or safe handloads, or reliable handloads.

Requiring factory ammo eliminates one potential issue when troubleshooting a problem.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 05:40:47 PM »
I do not allow reloaded ammo,  because factory ammo from box stores has a bang success rate of nearly 100%, whereas reloads, on average, has a few more clicks, and an occasional boom. 

Like Forest Gump was fond of saying, one less thing. 

Keeping factory ammo in my class, increases the likelihood, of a smooth running class, with less chance of surprises and injury.  Is it a lot less chance?  No, but it is an unacceptable risk, to ask other students to stand next to someone on the shooting line, with reloads.

Do some reloaders, make better cartridges than factory loads?  Yes, absolutely.  However, how am I as an instructor, in charge of my students safety, going to monitor that? 

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »
I gotta say, this is a great deal for anyone who has been putting off taking the class.  Even as you say, for people who just need a refresher or a different point of view.

Not often do you see this type of generosity.

Good job, Gary!
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Gumby

• Powder Benefactor
  • Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 11:39:29 PM »
Gary - extremely generous offer and I just registered... I look forward to meeting you on Father's Day!

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 02:48:10 AM »
Gumby, and everyone, it will be a pleasure to have you in class!

Today, I moved a wall in my classroom, expanding it from 25 x 25 to 25 x 35 ish. 

The classroom was large enough for small classes, which I prefer, but a larger classroom would not be a bad thing. 

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 06:01:23 PM »
still kicking it around, I am trying to decide if getting my CCW in Lincoln instead of from one of the local guys would have an impact on my gun biz, not that many of the local guys buy anything from me anyway....

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 11:11:06 PM »
I just got my CCP from Gary this past week.  Gary and his wife are great people who are friendly, knowledgeable, and put on a good class.  He also has a great bumper sticker on his truck!! ;D 
"One man with courage is a majority." Thomas Jefferson

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »
Thanks to all those that signed up for the fathers day class.  To prove you are worthy of a free class, bring photos of your children to class. Extra points for pics of grandkids!

Hit my web site at www.guns1roses.com to see what to bring to class.

No ammo or personal firearms in the classroom. 

Class starts at 9am Sunday morning.  Lunch about noon.  Several choices up and down O street.  Law at 1,  Range about 4. 

Any questions, call Gary at 4022175000. 

Class is full.   If you already registered, see you Sunday

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Gumby

• Powder Benefactor
  • Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 10:40:32 PM »
Many thanks to Gary and Lady Karen for making this a Fathers Day I shall not forget.  The 9:00 to 5:00 session was just the right mix of classroom instruction, video presentations, handgun basics, open discussion, review and testing plus near 100 rounds per student expended at their safe, sheltered range.  I had hoped I would learn new things and I was not disappointed.  Several additional impressions linger now two weeks later: 

- My classmates were first class.  And they were familiar with concealable guns and competent with the handguns they already own.  If they exemplify who's already packing out there, I'm thrilled.  It's no wonder we see headlines such as, Concealed Carry Permit Holders are One Third as Likely to Commit Murder as Police Officers.  http://www.gunwatch.blogspot.com/2013/10/concealed-carry-permit-holders-are-one.html

- Concealed carry is sober business, and I'm not just talking intoxicants.  It's demanding.  It takes the situational focus and "event" avoidance employed by every sound motorcyclist, combined with the prep and skills of a skydiver plus a dash of legal smelling salts.  This is an excellent class for anyone just considering application for a CC permit.  You may decide you don't want to do 530 miles in 28 degree weather... you may decide you don't want to fall out of an airplane at 3,000 feet...  you may decide you don't want to face the legal and emotional consequences after a self defense event.  This class is a great experience and will make you a better firearm owner, regardless of whether you ever decide to legally carry concealed.

- Gary's range experience is fun but also properly "in your face"... it reinforces the reality of self defense events - they occur up close, they are a brief moment in time, they are to be avoided at all costs, but when a defensive response cannot be avoided it is to be handled with precision and alacrity.  A familiarity with your gun, your holster, your concealing clothing, your grip, etc. enable you to get the most out of the range session of the class because these fundamentals are the basic skills you'll need in the field.

- This class will reinforce what you already know and strengthen your resolve.  For those of us largely "self taught" - a weakness enabled by the net - to gather face to face with experts and other sound gun owners is just good practice.  There is a tangible degree of brotherhood/sisterhood inherent to Gary's course time from the class to the range... and I'm still chewing on it like a fine piece of buffalo jerky.  If the measure of the success of the instruction is the degree to which the student desires for more instruction, Gary scored big.

Well, enough ramblings.  Again, I thank Gary and Karen for waiving their routine fee for our class, and I thank you both for making it easy for me to contribute to NFOA.  The dollars you sacrificed to assist my family will, I am sure, be well utilized by our Association.  Peace and continued success!

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 12:06:26 AM »
I took an advanced concealed carry class tonight put on by a deputy sheriff, and I walked away learning several things.

One thing I learned, is duty to retreat is not as strong as I teach in class.  I teach as Jack Nicolson is using a fire axe to chop down your bathroom door, and you have a small bathroom window you can work at getting through, you have a duty to retreat.

In class tonight, I was corrected (if the sheriff is correct).  He said, if someone is coming at you through a locked door in your home,  and your life is threatened, you have no duty to retreat further. 

As a student, and as an instructor, we are all, always learning.

I am so pleased you liked the class!

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 07:47:48 AM »
One thing I learned, is duty to retreat is not as strong as I teach in class.......
I teach as Jack Nicolson is using a fire axe to chop down your bathroom door, and you have a small bathroom window you can work at getting through, you have a duty to retreat.

Gary:

With all collegiality and other due respect, the above teaching has been a serious error of fact.   Here is the actual Nebraska state law:
======================================================

28-1409. Use of force in self-protection.

……………………………..
4) The use of deadly force shall not be justifiable under this section unless the actor believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death, serious bodily harm, kidnapping or sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat, nor is it justifiable if:

(a) The actor, with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or

(b) The actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:

(i) The actor shall not be obliged to retreat from his dwelling or place of work, unless he was the initial aggressor or is assailed in his place of work by another person whose place of work the actor knows it to be;
========================================================

Not sure how to rectify this information for your past students.   But it really is a serious error.  Diminishes the whole point of owning a firearm for defense of home for folks.

sfg
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:50:26 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 08:28:50 AM »
            (i) The actor shall not be obliged to retreat from his dwelling or place of work, unless he was the initial aggressor  ... 

I read the above mentioned statute the same as SFG and thought it pretty clear and didn’t have any questions: you don't have to retreat from your own home from the archetypal “unknown bad guy”.

(Now, if the bathroom door in question belongs to the Overlook Hotel built on a Native American burial ground, where your husband is serving in the position of winter caretaker while working on a novel, does that qualify as a dwelling or a place of work?  That’s a whole ‘nuther story!)
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
While not having to retreat may be defendable through years of court battles, and wiping out home and savings, crawling out a bathroom window, may have advantages. 

1: Sitting in the front seat of a police car, rather than in the back seat with handcuffs

2: No picking an attorney at the police station at 3am

3: ........................

4:.........................

(we can all fill in some blanks on this)

I have a goal, for myself and my students, to stay alive and well,  to never have to use Deadly Force if at all possible, and only use it as a last defense.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:17:05 PM by Gary »