< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NFOA labeled "big gun" in the passage of Nebraska range protection bill LB503  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
I you are a member of the Izaak Walton League, you can follow along on page 10 of their latest edition of OUTDOOR AMERICA, the League's national magazine

In the "League Lines" department, this article about LB503 can be found.

WITHIN RANGE

NEBRASKA- For years the Lincoln Chapter has watched anxiously as housing developments crept closer to it's shooting ranges. More neighbors bring more potential for complaints about noise and safety- an issue that's been plaguing suburban ranges across the country, and in some cases leading to range closures.

Chapter secretary and past-president Wes Sheets has seen the problem coming for a while. Seven years ago, he and another member were on their way back from a turkey hunting trip and dicussing the issue when they decided that the chapter needed to take preemptive measures. They convinced a state legislator to introduce legislation to protect shooting ranges from sprawl.

For several years, the bill languished in the legislature, never getting the votes it needed. This year, two big guns stepped up to help: the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association and the National Rifle Association. Thanks to their lobbying, LB503- the Range Protection Bill- was introduced into the state legislature this spring, passed overwhelmingly, and was signed by the governor to become law on August 30. The law will provide some protection against nuisance litigation and discharge bans. More importantly, says Sheets, it will grandfather the Lincoln Chapters ranges from any new restrictive zoning laws that could close the range. Nebraska is the 48th state to enact this type of legislation.

Despite the protection the bill affords, Sheets knows the best protection for the 720 member chapter is positive public relations. As he puts it, "We must live up to the image that we have asked for."

We all owe the Izaak Walton League, and Wes Sheets,  a big "Thank you" for the national exposure and more importantly for their efforts in getting range protection passed in Nebraska.

Thanks Wes, and Thank you to all the members of the Lincoln Chapter and the Izaak Walton League of America from the NFOA.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Thanks, Ikes'!!!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Awesome!

Just wish the story was available online.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
We were big guns with 500 members back then, imagine what we will be after this fall.

I signed up a Lincoln Ike at the Brule show. I sent a message to the Nebraska Division President, who lives not too far from me in the same county. Lets hope we get at least 50% of them on board.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
And we got billing over the NRA.  :)
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
And we got billing over the NRA.  :)
  YES....Yes we did!
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Can someone scan the article and send it to me? I would like a print to use recruiting.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
I emailed you a copy of the front cover and the article. It is a pretty big file 24MB
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Thanks Dan!!  I'll print those off and take them to the Fremont show.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
Re: NFOA labeled "big gun" in the passage of Nebraska range protection bill LB503
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 07:38:12 AM »
Sounding like a broken record here - but we should be able to use a summary of the article in a press release.  Again, it could be tied to something around our fantastic recruiting efforts and the efforts we made in the last legislative session.  Do we have any members who have a press or advertising background that could help our officers develop our strategy?
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: NFOA labeled "big gun" in the passage of Nebraska range protection bill LB5
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 06:46:43 PM »
I'm proud to be a member of both the Lincoln Ikes and NFOA.  I'm really excited about the way both organizations were able to rally the troops on this issue.  Wes did a great job getting the Ikes involved, and everyone here knows all the work the NFOA put into it.  This bodes well for the future here in Nebraska.  

By the way, if any NFOA members ever want to go shooting in Lincoln just let me know and if I'm available I'm more than happy to take you to the Ike's as a guest.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 06:53:54 PM by bkoenig »