< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Powder shortage: Will it come to this?  (Read 3102 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Powder shortage: Will it come to this?
« on: May 12, 2014, 06:24:09 PM »
Was searching the web for powder and found this. 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Do-Yourself-Gunpowder-Cookbook/dp/0873646754

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Powder shortage: Will it come to this?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:50:29 PM »
Lots of people on castboolits (and elsewhere, I'm sure) into making their own BP.

I haven't had the desire... yet.

Stock up on your saltpetre and your strike-anywhere matches!
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »
I don't recall making gunpowder as being one of the uses for dead cats.  I haven't read '101 Uses for Dead Cats' lately.  :laugh:

Offline MHicks

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 07:04:15 AM »
I've thought about making my own BP.  Just for the sake of doing it.  Looking in the right places, you can get quality ingredients that would make it cost under $2.50 per pound.  From what I have been researching the quality is also a lot better.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
Holler When You Have a Surplus Keg of Consistent High-Quality Homemade RedDot......

Or just about anything above 800X  in the first column of the Relative Powder Burn Rate charts.

sfg
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:26:41 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:20:59 AM »
Yeah because buying this book wouldn't add us all to yet another list lol
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
I've (very carefully) made black powder before, just to see how it's done.  It's very important to mill it while wet in order to prevent explosions.  I would not recommend trying it unless you really know what you're doing and take the appropriate steps to mitigate risk.

The big problem with homemade powder is consistency.  Commercial black powder is compressed and then ground to a uniform granule size, which is what controls the burn rate.  I was leery of doing that myself, so I just crumbled up the wet powder and let it dry.  It worked ok, but there was a noticeable difference in power when shot through my cap & ball revolver. 

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »
You guys are full of it. It is easy. I've seen it on TV!!!!

Kidding. Really.  :kiss:
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »
You guys are full of it. It is easy. I've seen it on TV!!!!

Kidding. Really.  :kiss:
LOL  One of my favorite movies is Galaxy Quest, a Star Trek parody.  If you grew up with the original Start Trek and you haven't seen Galaxy Quest, you have GOT to see it.

Galaxy Quest quote:
Guy Fleegman: I know! You construct a weapon. Look around you – can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?
Jason Nesmith: A LATHE?! GET OFF THE LINE, GUY!!

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 10:35:22 PM »
LOL  One of my favorite movies is Galaxy Quest, a Star Trek parody.  If you grew up with the original Start Trek and you haven't seen Galaxy Quest, you have GOT to see it.

Galaxy Quest quote:
Guy Fleegman: I know! You construct a weapon. Look around you – can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?
Jason Nesmith: A LATHE?! GET OFF THE LINE, GUY!!

Fly
galazy Quest is pretty good.

around here somewhere I have a book on reloading 22 long rifle cases. havnt gotten bad enough to use it yet, but its here somewhere
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 07:19:02 PM »
Got a good digital balance?

Assuming 100gm of product weigh out
74.64 grams of NaNO3 (Sodium Nitrate)
http://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Nitrate-Tech-Grade-Powder/dp/B00HEWSLMG/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400715229&sr=1-2&keywords=sodium++nitrate

13.51 grams of powdered Charcoal (Activated Charcoal is best -- most porous)
http://www.amazon.com/100%25-Pure-Activated-Charcoal-Powder/dp/B00GNPOWAK/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400714944&sr=1-1&keywords=activated+charcoal+5+lbs

11.85  grams of Flower of Sulfur (Sulfur powder or dust)
http://www.amazon.com/Ground-Yellow-Brimstone-Approved-Feedstock/dp/B00K3RBYJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400715099&sr=1-1&keywords=powdered+sulfur

(or consider those values as percentages of the total amount desired)

Dissolve the NaNO3 in 100 ml of distilled or de-ionized water.
Grind the Charcoal or Sulfur if necessary.  Pass both products through a fine filter mesh if grinding was required.
Shake the Charcoal and Sulfur together in a plastic bag until throughly mixed. (Easier than mixing while wet)
Add the Charcoal and Sulfur mixture  to the NaNO3 solution to create a paste.
Throughly mix the paste with a wooden or plastic spoon, or squeeze it in a plastic bag until a uniform color.
Run the paste through a spaghetti extruder using a 1 - 2 mm extruder die, slicing off the sticks at 1mm lengths.
Let it air dry without heat or lamps. NO ovens!
Break clumps apart manually with wooden utensils until all pieces pass through a fine mesh filter.
Store in plastic jars.  Watch out for static electric discharge.  The stuff is very clingy.

Nitroglycerin or Nitrocellulose.
I'm not going to give the stoichiometric relationships or a description of how to make it because making either product is too dangerous. I've made them both.  On one occasion I made about 20 ml of Nitroglycerin to show some oil engineers how it is made.  I didn't bother with the neutralization step because I didn't plan on saving any of it.  To show the its power I took a dropper and dropped a drop from shoulder height onto the floor.  The explosion was as loud as a shotgun blast and the pressure wave was easily felt.  It detonates.   The blast is almost like an M80.  I used about 5 ml showing the engineers and put the 50ml beaker containing the rest to the back of the hood.  Got distracted.  Forgot about it.  The next day when I walked into the door at work one engineer said "take a look at your hood".  The hood held a couple hot plates, a titration unit, some 100 ml bottles of  volatile chemicals and some other things on the shelf at the back of the hood.  Everything on that shelf was destroyed or blown out, and the two side walls of the hood had been pushed out and flattened.  The plastic sliding front door of the hood was laying on the floor.  On top of it was the busted titration unit and the two hot plates.  The top of the hood, surrounding the vent to the outside, was puffed up and out.  Just 15 ml or so of Nitroglycerin.

Nitroglycerin and Nitrocellulose are used as the basis of "smokeless"  powders because unlike TNT and many other nitrates, they form only gaseous products of detonation (4 moles Nitro changes to 35 moles of gases at high temp).   Table tennis balls used to be made of Nitrocellulose, camphor and a plasticizer.   They burn in a flash.   Extract them with Acetone and you've got NC.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »
Please Quit Diddling Around and Go Make Some Kegs of...........

RED DOT!

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer