< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AAR Evos WTF Practical Handgun Course  (Read 743 times)

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
AAR Evos WTF Practical Handgun Course
« on: May 12, 2014, 09:07:57 PM »
After Action Review

Evo Consulting and Operations; Colin Daugherty, CSS, CPS, CSOPS www.evoconsultingandops.com
WTF (Win The Fight) Practical Handgun Course and Combatives Intro
Sat 5-10-14
Firth, NE. Nebraska Shooter’s Range

8:00AM

All students arrived early and were geared up and ready to go at 8:00AM. The student body of 12 shooters were made up of multiple private security teams, instructors, military and private individuals.

Colin Daugherty of Evo Consulting and Operations introduced himself and got the day going. A safety briefing was conducted and range rules explained. Out of the 12 shooters there was one XD, two M&Ps, one G17 and the rest were G19s. This was not a beginner’s course and everyone present was familiar with their firearm.

Even before the first shot was fired, we were introduced to the Evo training philosophy. Which to me, challenged me to “Maximize your training time by taking everything serious and doing everything like you would for real.” When everyone stepped to the line to load their weapons, Colin recommended performing a tactically correct draw, presentation, load from your “go to” mag, tac reload, press check, re-holster, top off and re-administer magazines so the “go to” mag is now replaced. One can perform this sequence with a serious mindset and build good tactics or one can try to perform this from an admin mindset (taking a mag from an admin pocket that I would be unlikely to use in a combat situation etc) and build lazy habits.

This distinction challenged me to think about “when” the training begins. I found myself asking, “Why do I have to wait until we are loaded to begin my training?” I can decide to begin my training even before we’re loaded by properly loading and making my firearm ready. Taking each drill and technique serious and constantly reinforcing the thought process of “why am I doing this?” were values that continued throughout the day.

Malfunction Clearing

We went over Phase Two Stoppage Reductions (double feed etc.). Instead of only the ole “lock, rip, work” method. We worked from the mindset “What if this is my last mag or what if I’m not carrying a second mag?” So instead of ripping the mag out and throwing it on the ground, Colin suggested moving laterally, stripping the mag and tucking it under the pinky finger of the gun hand, then perform your racks to clear the pipe and reload. This allows you to move faster, allows you to retain the mag (since it’s your only one), keeps the mag stowed in an easily accessible spot where you can feel it and not have to search for it all while moving off line of the bad guy’s sights.

10 10 10 Drill

Target is a 10 inch paper plate, at 10 yards, 10 rounds in 10 seconds from draw. Goal is to get all ten rounds on the paper plate. This was a good diagnostics drill so Colin could see where we were all with our skills. Accuracy was always stressed over speed.

3-Dot Fundamentals Drill

This drill was done in three stages. Three different half-inch diameter stickers were placed in a vertical line on our targets. At 5 yards distance. Focus of drill is to demonstrate and emphasize how poor trigger manipulation can adversely affect an otherwise near perfect sight alignment and sight picture. 

•   Stage 1: Shoot five rounds at the bottom dot. Goal is to “shoot out” the sticker with a solid group. After we were done, Colin outlined our groups with a sharpie so we could see the size and shape of our grouping. Each shooter was asked if they could articulate what they were doing wrong or what they were doing right. Knowing where you gun cuts was discussed, shooting sights or dots was discussed.
•   Stage 2: Shooter would draw the gun and get a proper sight alignment and sight picture but NOT touch the trigger. A partner would step behind them and perform the trigger press, both good (smooth and straight to the rear) and bad (pull or jerk the trigger). Five rounds on the middle dot. This allowed the shooter to feel what good and bad trigger presses feels like. Group was circled.
•   Stage 3: Student shoots five rounds at the top dot. Again, the group was circled with a sharpie and the student was able to see clearly how the groups improved as we went up. There was not one student who did not improve their grouping.

9:40AM Multiple Targets

We moved to steel targets. For shooting multiple targets we were taught to move the eyes and head together first BEFORE moving the hands with the gun. Moving all three together creates more over travel past your next target, as well as more likelihood that you will drop the sight picture between targets. Moving the eyes and head first allows you to scan better and the practical application helps you identify and prevent you from muzzling non-threats.

A Last Man Standing shoot-off was held to see who could perform this the fastest while creating a bit of healthy competition amongst the student body. We also worked on transitioning between targets at different distances. Not flying off the trigger and utilizing trigger reset were recommended.

10:45 Shooting Positions

We went over high kneeling, low kneeling, double kneeling and prone. For shooting on the back, we were taught the Self Cover Position. We went down, onto your side, pushed the gun between our knees and tucked the feet up to our but, braced the hands with the legs and rested our chin on our shoulder. This created a very stable position to fire accurate shots.

11:20 Shooting from around cover

Good and bad uses of cover was demonstrated. Making yourself a small target, not crowding your cover and knowing your body’s balancing point was stressed. We shot from both sides of the barricades, from standing, kneeling and prone positions. Different techniques were discussed regarding switching hands and switching eyes for gaining sights and pros and cons were discussed for each of these.  Colin explained the M&M principle of Minimum amount of Exposure (from cover) and Minimum time exposed (from cover).  Speed is critical during this when we shoot from the off side, Colin explained we can all write with our other hand but it is likely going to be not as neat and not as fast, if we stay using the hand we are used to we may expose more but we will be faster…it’s all a trade off. 

Lunch 12:00-12:30

12:30 Contact shooting

Contact shooting at close distances were covered, as well as ways to operate your weapon even if someone has pushed the slide out of battery.

A flash sight picture while shooting at a torso-sized target was introduced. At three yards we were challenged to shoot the target within in one second, from draw.

Recoil Management

Colin explained the Pinky Pull Thumb Push grip. By pushing forward with the thumb and counter pulling with the pinky allows the shooter to better manage the recoil. Pushing out far enough was also stressed to cinch the hands down on the grip and control the recoil. Timed three-shot groups at three yards were practiced and compared to demonstrate recoil management.

On Handed Shooting

We were taught to press the cheek into the shoulder to create more stability while shooting with one hand. The phrase was “Rifle your pistol.” This allowed you to use your shoulder like it was the butt-stock of your rifle. This improved accuracy and speed of the one-handed shot.

Stress Test

The firearms portion of the day culminated with a Stress Test. Each shooter was challenged with exercise-induced stress and then immediately put into an active shooter-type scenario where they had to distinguish between threat and non-threat targets. Students had to utilize what they learned throughout the day to make decisions and solve problems. This was a self-critique drill what was very eye-opening for everyone.

2:30 Combatives

The combatives portion was as insightful and challenging as the firearms. We went over gun retention techniques, defending chokes and how to respond to close quarter gun and knife attacks. A consistent theme with all of the moves was the mindset of “counter-attack” instead of just “defense.” All of the moves were simple, minimal, effective and natural. Using our natural response, gross motor movements and natural movements were stressed compared to trying to learn complex, highly-technical and unnatural techniques.

Summary

Overall the course was an effective and efficient use of my training day. The time was well spent. I had fun and I can shoot better after taking this class. Colin kept us laughing and thinking the entire day. There was little down time and it did not feel like we were ever standing around waiting. Colin had a patient answer for every question. He articulated the reasons “why” and the real-world application behind every drill. His confident and humble demeanor increased student learning and built trust between the instructor and the student body throughout the day.

I don’t enjoy learning from instructors who claim to have the “latest, greatest, trade-marked, patented, undiscovered secret sauce” to shooting a pistol. I enjoy learning from instructors who are proficient, passionate and serious about working on the fundamentals, and putting in the time and sweat to become faster at those fundamentals. The staff at Evo lives this.

I have worked with Colin in the past and trained with his other staff. I can honestly say that the guys at Evo are not only proficient and passionate about the subject matter but they have the skill set to effectively teach it.

To find out more about Evo visit: www.evoconsultingandops.com

For more training AARs and upcoming classes visit us at: www.avoidthefight.com

By Safety Systems Group Staff
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:20:42 AM by citizen »

Offline R.Schoening

• Forum Member
Re: AAR Evos WTF Practical Handgun Course
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:32:50 AM »
Thorough AAR Cody...and great course!
- Rob