< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Dudley Brown’s Despicable Deception  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Dudley Brown’s Despicable Deception
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:25:42 PM »
Dudley Brown’s Despicable Deception           SAF.org

Dudley Brown and his “National Association for Gun Rights” (NAGR) have built a reputation by attacking every other major gun rights organization and even pro-gun politicians, to the detriment of the gun rights movement. His rhetoric has done more to marginalize Second Amendment activism than all of the slanders from gun prohibition lobbying groups combined.

Now Dudley has spewed his venom toward Alan Gottlieb, a true champion of Second Amendment advocacy with a proven track record of accomplishment. Gottlieb is founder and executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), and chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA).

In his latest effort to raise money for his own self-aggrandizement, Dudley Brown has launched a vicious canard against Alan Gottlieb, accusing the veteran gun rights advocate of “Leading the fight for national gun registration.”

Alan Gottlieb has never advocated for gun registration in his life. His legislative efforts have been to prevent that, and Dudley knows it.

Sean Tonner, deputy chief of staff for former Republican Colorado Gov. Bill Owens, was quoted by The Denver Magazine , asserting, “All Dudley wanted to do was create controversy. He makes his money when there’s turmoil, real or perceived, because that’s what gets his members to write him checks.”

It is time to call Dudley what he is, a political bomb-throwing bully whose stock in trade is to incite distrust and discontent within the ranks of the gun rights movement to enhance his own fund-raising efforts and power base.

Instead of directing his energies toward fighting the real enemy, Dudley Brown has attacked other gun rights organizations in an effort to elevate his own group, but at what cost to gun rights?

Perhaps he believes the only way to raise his own status outside the borders of Colorado is to trample on people and organizations with whom he should be allied for the common cause of advancing Second Amendment rights, rather than inflating his own ego.

When anti-gunners see people in the gun rights movement attacking one another they cheer. Such vicious attacks provide aid and comfort to the enemies of the Second Amendment.

WHERE WAS DUDLEY?

The Second Amendment Foundation has championed gun rights legal actions and won in federal courts and the U.S. Supreme Court. Remember, it was SAF that took McDonald v. City of Chicago to the Supreme Court and won. Where was Dudley?

SAF and CCRKBA have conducted the annual Gun Rights Policy Conference for more than 25 years, bringing together major gun rights leaders with grassroots activists to unify and expand the gun rights movement. Where was Dudley?

When SAF and the National Rifle Association joined forces to stop the unconstitutional gun grab in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina, where was Dudley?

When SAF and NRA joined forces to defeat the San Francisco gun ban, where was Dudley?

When SAF, NRA and CCRKBA joined forces to defeat the City of Seattle’s parks gun ban – thus strengthening state preemption in Washington state and providing a lesson for anyone who might challenge other states’ preemption laws, where was Dudley?

When the International Association for the Protection of Civilian Arms Rights (IAPCAR) was created, Alan Gottlieb was there to help bring together an organization that now has member groups from every continent and several nations. Where was Dudley?

When multi-national gun rights organizations gather in Europe to resist global gun control efforts, Alan Gottlieb is there, but where is Dudley?

Where is Dudley? We'll ask again: WHERE – IS – DUDLEY?  He is AWOL!

CCRKBA is currently fighting oppressive gun control legislation in Washington State, to prevent passage of the kind of gun laws that were adopted in Colorado, right under Dudley’s nose. Instead of isolating CCRKBA – as is Dudley’s “my way or the highway” style – Alan Gottlieb has helped bring together a coalition of organizations that includes gun collectors, hunters, competitors and law enforcement professionals. Their goal is to prevent expansion of federally-mandated background checks and state handgun registration, and prohibit government gun confiscation (a’la post-Katrina New Orleans).

Where is Dudley now? Maybe he’s trying to figure out how to exploit this battle to raise funds that would never be spent in Washington State, and perhaps even to scuttle the grassroots gun rights effort there. Remember, his forte is to create turmoil, exploit it and raise money from it, not win battles.

WHERE DUDLEY WASN'T

Two years ago, Dudley tried to claim credit for a lawsuit victory that wasn't his, in a case he didn't pay for.

When Students for Concealed Carry won a judgment against the University of Colorado, Dudley created the impression that it was his victory, claiming in an e-mail fund-raiser that his “National Foundation for Gun Rights” and Dudley’s Colorado-based Rocky Mountain Gun Owners (RMGO) had “successfully overturned the college campus gun ban in the Colorado Supreme Court.”

SCC President Daniel Crocker sent a blistering letter to Dudley that criticized him for “misleading remarks for the pecuniary gain of your organizations…”

In that letter, Crocker stated that Dudley’s message was “not only misleading but patently false.”

What was Dudley’s contribution to that case? RMGO provided an amicus brief. Alan Gottlieb and SAF also filed an amicus brief in that case, but they never claimed credit for winning the case.

Dudley claimed to be at the United Nations for the Arms Trade Treaty conference, yet nobody saw him in the building, but they did see Alan Gottlieb there, fighting to protect Americans’ gun rights.

IS DUDLEY BROWN A CHARLATAN?

Last year, the Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance felt it necessary to respond to one of Brown’s e-mails regarding legislation that the MGOCRA had been supporting. Without naming him, the group posted a message on it's Facebook page stating, “There is an inflammatory email being sent to Minnesotans by an out-of-state individual who has never actually accomplished anything for Minnesota gun rights (or those of any other state that we can see).

“The real purpose of this email is the same as all the rest of the emails this individual sends: to solicit donations,” the message added.

Last year, when NAGR launched an attack fund raiser against Wayne LaPierre and the National Rifle Association, gun owners in North Carolina became fed up. Some members of the NC Gun Owners forum asked questions such as, “Where was Dudley Brown during the Senate hearing on AWB and Magazine limitations?” Another observed, “I never liked an organization or person trying to build themselves up by putting others down.” A third noted, “I have not supported them at all, as I feel they are opportunists that seem to be looking for donations more than actually helping the fight.”

While SAF has as its motto “Winning firearms freedom one lawsuit at a time,” and CCRKBA’s motto is “The Common Sense Gun Lobby,” Dudley may as well say that his motto is “Destroying the gun rights movement from within, one selfish attack at a time.”

We have never made it a practice to disparage other gun rights organizations. That’s not constructive, nor does it further the cause of Second Amendment freedom. We are all supposed to be in this fight together.

However, we cannot ignore this calumny, especially from someone whose rhetoric has gun owners constantly fighting one another, rather than uniting against a common enemy.

What Dudley Brown and NAGR have done with his e-mail attack on Alan Gottlieb is deliberately divisive, disturbingly deceitful and downright despicable.

And Alan Gottlieb isn't asking for a penny from anyone with this e-mail. He’s just setting the record straight.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Dudley Brown’s Despicable Deception
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 05:34:12 PM »
Ask the guys who led the Colorado recall effort what they think of Dudley.  You'll probably hear quite a few four letter words.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:49:29 PM »
I tried to clue Sen. Kintner in on Dudley and his deceptions, he wouldn't believe any of it.   ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »
Forwarded on to home office for reply

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »
This is good to know.  I had recently been getting his e-mail and he even worse than the NRA for begging for money.  I knew nothing about him and gave him nothing thankfully. 

Unsubscribing when I get another email from him.  Thanks for the heads up. 

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 05:40:09 AM »
HEY HEY!  NOW FOLKS! Dudley has done some great things, especially here in Nebraska legislature.  He's made us look GOOD!
True story. Between Karpecheck's bill where they went on a email rampage saying "he was 'in bed' with Obama and Bloomberg, etc etc, - send us $20 "  Karpecheck sorta called them out during his introduction of that bill in committee hearing.  Then proceeded to offer an amendment right away to satisfy concerns brought forth from none other than your NFOA- and during his closing thanked us for bringing these concerns to him.

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 12:58:09 PM »
When the NFOA was "still on the drawing board" so to speak I received a call from a guy in Colorado offering to help "get the ball rolling". His spiel was I can show you how to run it in such a way that you can make a ton of money. Don't have a board of directors etc.. run it all yourself and soak the members for all the membership fees and donations you can get. I don't remember his name but it sure could have been this Dudley dude. Besides membership dues and a dictatorship was never ever the plan anyway. Never heard another word from the guy.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 07:08:35 PM »
When the NFOA was "still on the drawing board" so to speak I received a call from a guy in Colorado offering to help "get the ball rolling". His spiel was I can show you how to run it in such a way that you can make a ton of money. Don't have a board of directors etc.. run it all yourself and soak the members for all the membership fees and donations you can get. I don't remember his name but it sure could have been this Dudley dude. Besides membership dues and a dictatorship was never ever the plan anyway. Never heard another word from the guy.

It was Dudley...He gave me the same hard sell in 2009, almost word for word
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 09:11:20 PM »
It was Dudley...He gave me the same hard sell in 2009, almost word for word

Sounds like a story that needs some national attention.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 10:30:23 PM »

Sounds like a story that needs some national attention.

That is exactly what he wants
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 09:01:04 AM »
Okay Ladies and Germs....straight from the proverbial horses mouth. 
1) FOR FULL DISCLOSURE.....

a) my sister in law is Dudley's assistant.  I forwarded the article to her (as she likes to see these things first hand).  I have NO real fondness for NAGR, but I do have a fondness for a happy marriage so I respect what my sister-in-law does for a living.....  :)

b) Unaware to me, she forwarded to Dudley and their legal department and low and behold they replied below: I will attempt to cut and paste to the best of my limited abilities.  There is a Youtube Video referenced, but I don't know how to attach.  Furthermore, I was sent two PDFs of the Amicus briefs for Chi v McDonald and the SCOTUS case.  Enjoy.....

Email #1

Short answers: 2nd Amendment Foundation has done some good things in legal battles, yet they pray at the altar of the NRA.  Alan G. has advocated for compromise, “going along to get along”. In this way, we are diametrically opposed to their philosophy on the legislative process.  He has supported the cancerous process that blurs the purpose and meaning or the 2nd Amendment.  Alito’s siting from our Amicus Brief was pivotal in the McDonald vs. Chicago case.  No one has spent more lobbying for our 2nd Amendment rights. 85%  of all our funding goes right back into the fight.

When I have more time, I will send some links.  You are also welcome to talk with Ryan Flugaur in our Political Dept. (next door to Dudley and my offices).  His contact info is: rjf@nagrhq.org, 877.405.4570, ext. 309. 

Sent: Friday, May 16, 2014 11:17 AM
To:
Subject: FW: NAGR Amicus Brief

Dudley Brown
Executive Vice President

Direct Office Line  970-482-7647
Toll-free line           877-405-4570
------------------------------------------
National Association for Gun Rights
www.NationalGunRights.org

501 Main Street

Windsor, Colorado  80550
Fax Line   (202) 351-0528
dwb@NAGRHQ.org

About NAGR & Dudley Brown

Join NAGR - NAGR's Strategy

Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:22 PM
To: Dudley Brown
Subject: NAGR Amicus Brief

Our Amicus Brief was cited by Justice Alito on Page 30 (Page 36 in the PDF version) of the McDonald decision. It was reference #27. Both documents are attached.

Based on that brief, Alito concluded the following:

“A clear majority of the States in 1868, therefore, recognized the right to keep and bear arms as being among the foundational rights necessary to our system of Government.27

Email #2

Here is something Dudley told me to share with you.

Sent: Friday, May 16, 2014 11:05 AM
To:
Subject: FW: A dirty word

Two Gottlieb sell-outs:

http://daylightdisinfectant.com/gun-rights-advocate-helped-write-background-check-bill/

From: Dudley Brown [mailto:dudley.brown@nationalgunrights.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:26 AM
To: Dudley Brown
Subject: A dirty word

Dear DUDLEY,

“Compromise” is a dirty word here at the National Association for Gun Rights.

We’re in the business of protecting and defending your right to keep and bear arms, not cutting back-room deals to trade your Second Amendment rights away.

Last year, during the Toomey-Manchin Expanded Federal Background Check fight in Congress, NAGR made it clear there would be no compromise of your rights.

You may remember our slogan: “No Gun Control, No Deals!”

Unfortunately, the gun rights community isn’t always in lock-step when it comes to “compromise” and cutting deals.

Some of our so-called “friends” literally want to give the gun-grabbers exactly what they want.

It’s really just a preemptive surrender.

And that’s the main reason so many gun owners sense we’re always losing ground on our gun rights.

During the fight last year, Second Amendment Foundation (and CCRKBA) President Alan Gottlieb bragged that he and his staff had written the Toomey-Manchin gun control bill:

“I and our CCRKBA attorney lobbyist had a hand in influencing and writing parts of it.”

Instead of drawing a line in the sand and opposing a “compromise” of your rights like we did here at NAGR, Gottlieb looked to cut a deal.

Thankfully the grassroots pressure applied by NAGR’s more than 3.5-million members and supporters stopped Gottlieb’s bill dead in its tracks.

But he hasn't given up.

Just recently, Gottlieb was captured on video once again calling for gun owners to “compromise” and support a new expanded federal gun registration bill.

Click on the video below to watch for yourself.

Outrageous!

With Barack Obama and Harry Reid needing just a handful of votes to pass a gun control bill before the 2014 election, Gottlieb’s willingness to “compromise” is a danger to the Second Amendment rights of every American.

If he can convince enough Republicans in the House and Senate to go along with one of his gun control deals, you and I could be looking at the biggest victory for the gun-grabbers in nearly two decades.

That’s why you and I can’t take any chances.

Gun owners can’t go to sleep or cease to be involved in the fight to protect our rights -- we must remain vigilant, especially when the surrender monkeys start their siren cry: “we’re going to lose”.

If we draw a line in the sand and fight it out, we might lose -- but our rights are always the loser when we cut deals with the enemy.

We know what anti-gunners want -- the gutting of our Second Amendment rights by federal and state governments . . .

The more the Alan Gottliebs of the world seek to help them do that, the harder our fight will be.

For Freedom,

Dudley Brown
Executive Vice President

P.S. It’s not just the anti-gun crowd pushing to gut our Second Amendment rights . . .

The President of the Second Amendment Foundation Alan Gottlieb is banging the drums for a new expanded federal gun registration bill.  Alan Gottlieb says gun owners should “compromise” with the gun-grabbers.

We say “NO!” and stand ready to fight back against gun control at every opportunity.

Please help us fight back against the anti-gunners and those who wish to compromise with them by chipping in $10 or $20 today!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 09:30:59 AM by bullit »

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
Very interesting....thanks for the insight, I will have to look into the accusations against the SAF.
Being fairly new to 'the fight for our right's...my perspective is that the SAF has done more recently & made more positive advances via their court cases than the other organizations combined. The NRA is so large that they have to worry about political correctness & compromise at times....GOA & Larry Pratt seem pretty legit to me but I couldnt tell you a bunch of things that they have accomplished in recent years....NAGR does a good job rallying it's supporters but it doesnt seem to have a lot of follow-up...

I definitely agree that in-fighting between organizations with such similar goals and plenty of opposition does Not benefit us!

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 12:10:59 AM »
Anyone know where all that money Dudley is collecting is going?

This organization's exempt status was automatically revoked by the IRS for failure to file a Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-N, or 990-PF for 3 consecutive years. Further investigation and due diligence are warranted. http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/84-1368137/rocky-mountain-gun-owners.aspx
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 07:06:24 AM »
Gunscribe....  I am on it.....

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »
To answer Gunscribes question, they have gone into not being a tax exempt organization but a for profit corporation (this is a simplification).

There are plusses to not being a tax exempt organization, first you just file taxes lots of other paperwork you do not need to deal with.  Second, you can use the income however you want, want to spend on lobbying, hire a lobbyist and it's done it's the same paperwork the NFOA does; want to participate in electioneering, no problem spend your money how you want there are no restrictions a tax exempt needs to form a second organization (PAC) for that and funds can not intermingle (so the NFOA has money and the PAC wants to help out a candidate, NFOA can not give money to the PAC... that also works in reverse).  Also the NFOA has been struggling with questions on selling swag (NFOA Gear) with not being a nonprofit that is no issue, get a tax ID and sell away.

Draw backs, Taxes, sorry but corporate taxes are not fun and a small organization working primarily with volunteers just say it would not work out well.  Members want to know how the money they are donating, paying as membership dues or coming from the purchase of swag is being spent, with no reporting or requirerments for leadership meetings with provided minutes that does not exist.

I am not defending NAGR or Dudley, I am just trying to explain a business model that lots of other state organizations (even some here in Nebraska that we are friendly with, at least when they cross into gun issues) accross the country use as well as NAGR.  I think everyone here likes the open way things get discussed, in fact some would like more info but some things do need to be held to board level or even committee level discussions until timing is correct to publisize.  I also am certain that nobody here wants to volunteer to do corporate taxes for the organization, ask Chris and he would tell you that what we do now can at times be confusing and time consuming.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »
Now back to the topic being discussed, I don't think this can be stressed enough:

HEY HEY!  NOW FOLKS! Dudley has done some great things, especially here in Nebraska legislature.  He's made us look GOOD!
True story. Between Karpecheck's bill where they went on a email rampage saying "he was 'in bed' with Obama and Bloomberg, etc etc, - send us $20 "  Karpecheck sorta called them out during his introduction of that bill in committee hearing.  Then proceeded to offer an amendment right away to satisfy concerns brought forth from none other than your NFOA- and during his closing thanked us for bringing these concerns to him.

The NFOA has had a bit of an uphill climb on many issues in the Legislature, there is not an active anti gun movement that we can point to as a bunch of nuts.  Most legislation dealing with firearms is not meant to be anti gun (though in reality it has real issues that many of the introducers don't understand) so it is hard to put together a real fight for legislation.  NAGR's bully tactics are good for us, we get to look like the sane Nebraskan's we are and that gives us clout to build good legislation, and when something is so bad that we pull all the stops and send you guys bat**** crazy on an issue legislators will know it is serious.

NAGR encourages the in your face no holds bared (remember the video a couple years ago where an Iowa Senator had a run in with a "lobbyist" and a petition got thrown in the Iowa statehouse.  Not only did the Senator look bad but so did the organization that was harassing him in the hallway.) attack everyone that does not say what you want when you want it system.  This does not make friends, and to defeat bad bills or pass good ones allies in the statehouse is what you need.

But many of the tools NAGR uses and teaches are good, you need as many differnt tools in your toolbox as possible.  If you only have a hammer in your tollbox everything must be a nail, likewise if you only have a screw driver you are only effective on screws.  A good organization understands the need for many ways to get things done and needs to detirmine what tool will be the most effective for the task at hand.

But all anyone really sees NAGR doing is fundraising (again they do some training and other things, but unless you are really involved you will not see them) and personally the return they give on funds raised is questionable.  Yes, they can claim 85% of income goes back out in the form of action, but what percentage of that is payroll for Lobbyists, Lawyers or for more fundraising.

More notes to follow.  Insites on SAF (I am a strong supporter, as they have supported us and I know Alan Gotlieb personally) and the issues Dudley is talking about, I know more than most because of direct involvement in these issues.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »
From my sources.....

Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:46 AM
To: publisher@lostcreekguide.com
Subject: RE: Alan Gottlieb

RMGO – and NAGR – stand behind our initial criticism of Alan Gottlieb’s support for universal background checks (which is just national firearms registration).

Gottlieb says it himself: he wants to pass national gun registration (with him writing it).

And we’ll assume your newspaper supports the same, if the paper editorializes (as it usually does).  Doubt that will play well with Weld County farmers and ranchers.

Dudley Brown
Executive Director

Direct Office Line 970-482-7646
Toll-free line     888-874-3006
Mobile Phone       970-396-3006

Rocky Mountain Gun Owners
Colorado's Largest Gun Rights Organization
PO Box 27
Windsor, Colorado  80550
Phone      (888) 874-3006
Fax Line   (202) 351-0528
http://www.rmgo.org   
director=@=rmgo.org    (= must be removed)
About RMGO and Dudley Brown
Join RMGO - RMGO’s Strategy

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:36 PM

To: office@rmgo.org

Subject: Alan Gottlieb

Dudley:

the Lost Creek Guide is running a letter to the editor from Alan Gottlieb in its June 1st issue. Offering you the opportunity to respond.

Bob Grand

Publisher

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 03:09:37 PM »
OK I'm finally getting back to this thread, and now it's time to use the way back machine but we don't need to go back far.  Everyone remembers the National push for Gun Control after Sandy Hook, and you remember how the NFOA was a founding member of a national coalition of state organizations (GOA was also a member but I don't think they actually signed any of the letters just the state groups).  Well the State Organization that was really instrumental in getting the group together and started contacting many of the other state organizations was from North Carolina, and the leader there was very friendly with NAGR and it's methods.  In fact Wesley and myself had to fight to keep NAGR out of the coalition because we did not want the coalition to have those issues.  GOA was involved to provide us intel on what was happening day to day on the hill, we had information as to who was doing what very early because of the information they shared with us which helped us keep you current on what was happening and getting info to you so you could act in a timely manner.  Many of you have no idea how important it is to have the contacts happening at just the right time is.

At the same time CCRKBA (who the NFOA is an affiliate of) and the SAF (the 501(c)3 sister organization of the CCRKBA) along with CALGuns and a couple of other state organizations formed the Firearms Policy Coalition.  The organizations that were a member of that organization used their influence to gain inside access to the drafting of the Manchin-Toomey amendment, basically doing everything they could to create an amendment that if passed would neuter anything that would get passed.  Alan Gotlieb was directly involved in those negotiations and the attempt that was being made to neuter any bill that may have been passed.  Mean while NAGR was sending out lots of emails and making lots of facebook posts about sending them money so they could fight on Capital Hill, if they did or not I can not prove either way but the people I have spoke to that were there tell me they never heard of NAGR during the conversations that were going on.

To defeat the push that was going on for gun control at that time took many people and organizations working from multiple directions to keep the Senate from passing anything.  A major reason nothing happened is they could not get enough Senators to coalesce around any one idea, not that they all felt that nothing should happen.  There were the proposals from the White House that the majority of the Dem's supported (fortunately enough went other directions to stop them from forcing something through), there was a proposal or proposals from the NRA that were introduced that several felt were doing something so it would get the hardcore anti's off their push and save face with us gunnies, there was the Manchin-Toomey amendment which the Firearms Policy Coalition worked to water down and bled off supporters from each of the other possibilities, and those that backed our efforts to not pass any new restrictions.  By keeping the Senators from coming together on any one idea, and having several that each drew their own group of supporters away from the heard, the plans for further gun control were defeated.  After the Manchin-Toomey was proposed Alan Gotlieb came forward and let the firearms community know about his efforts in that amendment, which was being drafted by that team anyway but without the influence of gun rights supporters, and let everyone know they were involved.  Even though the Amendment (Manchin-Toomey) was not what Alan supported it had some parts of things he pushed for and NAGR has tried to hang that he was willing to talk to Senators and water down a proposal as an anvil around Alan's neck. 

Personally I am happy with what Alan and his coalition was able to do, he put another option on the table that drew supports away from other efforts, keeping any of those efforts from passing.  While doing so he did have a hand in creating a proposal that many thought should or would have passed, but he kept it from being near as disastous as it could have been and his influence may have kept it from drawing some of those that supported the White House's efforts to that amendment.

Meanwhile NAGR raised lots of money and got lots of new "members" by getting us to sign there petitions etc. online.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 03:25:17 PM »
A couple of other notes; Before the Sandy Hook gun control push NAGR was a little thought of and relatively small organization (by national standards).  Their use of social media for gather members is something all of us organizations should be studying.  Also they conduct some very good activist training, not developed by them but they are a member organizations along with several other (here it is I'm going to use the term) "conservative issue" groups that have developed this information.

As far as things in the Coalition the NFOA was a member of (basically it has dissolved or fallen apart because we accomplished what we came together for, defeat a common enemy) I had to spend a lot of time keeping the NAGR affiliated organizations (they in fact chased off a very large NRA affiliated state organization) from having the letters to Senators and Congressmen as well as the press releases from being so vitriol that it would have convinced those elected officials that we were just a bunch of nuts and that they should pass this legislation to do something about us.  We had the support of Nebraska's delegation, and had good contact with our Senators and Congressmen and using the language and treats these groups wanted to use and the way they wanted to use it would have driven a couple of our supporters away.  That does not mean we did not need to communicate and educate our elected representatives, but that with those efforts they supported our position.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 07:22:20 PM »
Thanks for your insight Andy.....I always love hearing the about the back story/behind the scenes action!

It always amazes me how one thing could have went slightly different & we would have mag restrictions/ universal registration/ etc....

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member