< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Oregon On-Line Concelaed Carry Class  (Read 963 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Oregon On-Line Concelaed Carry Class
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:08:12 AM »
I ran across this and thought it might be interesting to share it.

Oregon allows on-line concealed carry classes, and on-line testing to get a concealed carry license.

http://www.onlinegunschool.com/index.php/start-now

One route in Oregon is to watch this this 55 minute you tube video, and take a 25 question test, passing with 80% or better.

Here is a screen shot (pun intended), along with a list of the credentials of the instructor.

With the muzzle control of this guy, he would not pass my class, let alone teach Concealed Carry for my classes.

If this is all it takes to get a CC permit in Oregon, why does the Nebraska  CHP not work in Oregon?

It would seem the Oregon standards are pretty low.   

Question 7 on the test, is pretty interesting, in relation to the screen shot I placed here.   Also question 14 and 23. 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: Oregon On-Line Concelaed Carry Class
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:15:49 AM »
Did a little more digging, and learned three other states also allow on-line classes to get Concealed Carry permits.  Colorado, Iowa, and Virginia.

It would seem to me, these states are using the process, to create a tax (income) for their states, rather than focus on public safety. 

Then I also look at the handful of states where no permit is required, and I cannot say that is bad for the 2nd amendment. 

What do you guys think about this?  Is on-line testing for CHP a good idea?

Seems the whole world is doing everything on-line these days.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:06:59 AM »

"It would seem to me, these states are using the process, to create a tax (income) for their states, rather than focus on public safety."

Gary, I think your comment says it all.   I had no idea these online anomolies existed until I read this post.  So, I did a quick google search and holy shnikes!...there is a bunch of stuff out there.  A mere sample is provided;

https://www.onlinecarrytraining.com
http://www.concealed-carry.net/
https://www.concealedcarryacademy.com/gs/index.php

Mandatory Range Time NOT Actually Required? Texas
http://online-concealed-carry.com/
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
My personal opinion as a CHP instructor.....using the word "tax" makes no sense....you still have to pay the state whether or not their is a range session.  Purist 2A supporters will argue any mechanism to levy a fee for your right to carry is a tax.  With regards to the video I see no issues with his safety.  Because he does not have a Glock Cut Away Trainer (or TWO) does not make him automatically unsafe. For what it is worth....David Cunningham is a long time WELL RESPECTED Firearms instructor and his reputation of such precedes him....
TEXAS has a mandatory range session for the first time CHP applicant.  RENEWAL is available online similar to a driver's license....WHICH I WHOLEHEARTEDLY ENDORSE and think this backwards state should do (the "tax" here is taking the time and gas UNNECESSARILY go to NSP to have fingerprints done AGAIN........)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »
You do not see this guy repeatedly sweeping his own hand?   He does it with training guns and a real gun multiple times.   

I don't care what reputation this guy has, it is what he does on the video that alarms me. 

A unholstered  handgun in a person's hand MUST never sweep anything you do not wish to destroy.

Looking around the net, I found hundreds of on-line classes ranging from 20 to 50 dollars. 

I think these classes do serve some public good, and as continuing education, I see nothing inherently wrong with the addition of such instruction, however, I do think this falls short of a gun instructor working one on one with a student in a classroom, and on a gun range. 

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 12:00:03 PM »
How do these states ascertain that the person taking an online exam is really the permit applicant, and not their wife, friend, etc. taking it for them?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
How do these states ascertain that the person taking an online exam is really the permit applicant, and not their wife, friend, etc. taking it for them?

It's foolproof!  ::)

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 01:02:15 PM »
I took the test, and it then it wanted $45 and my paypal account information.  It did not give me a score.   

So I backed up the screen, and changed a bunch of answers, and hit submit again.  This time it told me I failed, but encouraged me to take the test again, as many times as necessary to pass.

Isn't life grand!   

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 01:10:22 PM »
I picked on this instructor as not having good control of his firearm in the video.  Here is an instructor that I think does have pretty good gun control, and uses this video, to point out three acceptable places for a handgun. 

At one point, upon reholstering the handgun, he uses his trigger finger to feel the bottom of the holster, which I think was unnecessary even if the gun was safely in the holster.     Goes to show, none of us are perfect, and there is always room for improvement. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »
Regarding "Grading to 100%": This type of course exam is common in all sorts of environments.  Aviation would be a good example.  Our annual training requires written testing.  However, even the most dismal student passes, because the exam is "Graded to 100%" which means the instructor discussed any wrong answers with the individual student, and assures they have an understanding of the material. 

IMHO, it is the course we are headed in our feel good/everyone is valued society.  Telling someone they didn't pass an exam is considered to be MEAN.  Everyone's worth must be artificially elevated which results in lowering the bar.  Instead, we should be telling these people that if you want be a viable employee, or a recognized figure in a sport or industry, then you have to PROVE it.  Perform, and more importantly strive to OUT-perform your fellow employee or competitor.

I have many rules in life.  One being "I don't take naked pictures of my wife", but the life rule that applies here is "If you want to be respected, BE RESPECTABLE".  In other words, don't expect someone to boost your self image.  Don't TELL people how much they should respect you.  SHOW people that you should be respected.

Regarding mandated training:  I don't think the government should be mandating ANY training regarding firearms.  However, I DO think that people should take more individual responsibility to own a firearm and seek out instruction on safe gun handling.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum