< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How to sell a firearm face to face.  (Read 1098 times)

Offline jdavie87

• NFOA Full Member
How to sell a firearm face to face.
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:28:10 AM »
I'm planning on selling a rifle of mine, and I'd like to know exactly what I need to do. I just want to make sure I don't break any laws when I do sell it.

So, what are the laws involved in selling firearms face to face? Is there any information I'm required to collect during the sale?

Thanks.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: How to sell a firearm face to face.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
Here is a general guide:  http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=5

Bare minimums
Rifle or shotgun:  buyer must be 18 or older.
Pistol: Buyer must be 21 or older and have a NE firearm purchase permit, and matching ID.

The way I do it:
Rifle or shotgun: buyer must be 18 with NE ID, and sign a bill of sale. If over 21, I ask for purchase permit also.
Pistol: buyer must be 21 with NE ID and state firearm purchase permit, and sign a bill of sale.

If the buyer refuses to sign a bill of sale, or show ID, there is NO SALE.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 12:05:04 PM »
As long as you don't sell it across State Lines, just the legal and moral liability of possibly selling one to a felon....... if they have a Nebraska Firearm Purchase Certificate and a photo ID, you should be good to go.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline jdavie87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:34:53 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.

In case anyone needs it, here's the Bill of Sale pdf I used tonight.
ftp://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf