< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lessons in Omaha  (Read 1472 times)

Offline jkubs

• Forum Member
Lessons in Omaha
« on: May 26, 2014, 02:02:14 PM »
I am looking to see if anyone here offers handgun lessons. I have been shooting before at Take Aim with a walther p22 and glock 9mm, i have also taken an intro to handgun course through tactical 88 and i do have the ne purchase permit. i dont personally own a handgun, but i am very interested in buying one but want to spend more time shooting first. If anyone offers lessons with their guns please let me know, i would love to go to a range 1-2 times a week.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Lessons in Omaha
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:40:31 PM »
There are several members here who provide instruction. Check the right margin for advertising.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »

I think he also needs to borrow a firearm.
There are several members here who provide instruction. Check the right margin for advertising.

Greg58

Offline jkubs

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 04:27:14 PM »
Thanks I'll take a look. I would need to borrow a firearm, which I know might be an issue.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »
PM sent..........

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »
but i am very interested in buying one but want to spend more time shooting first

More folks should do so before actually purchasing a handgun.

Suggestion:

Since Take Aim doesn't do handgun rentals, consider going to The Bullet Hole and renting any number of their considerable arsenal of rental handguns.   They have a full spectrum available.

That way you can try before you buy.

Case in Point
:
I recently had a very strong yen for a S&W Bodyguard in .357Mag.   Went to the Bullet Hole and rented one.   Put a box of .38SPCL through it, which gave me Big Time Hand-Hurtie followed by numbness.   Even though it had the Hogue Sorbothane grips.

Imagine the trauma w/a .357Mag in that little pipsqueak wheelgun.

Gave up that idea pretty quick.   Saved me from trying to sell a barely-used, newly acquired Bodyguard here on the Forum.

Try Before You Buy:  You are on the Right Track.

sfg
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 09:30:39 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 10:13:21 PM »
Suggestion:  Get yourself a basic .22 pistol (like a Ruger 22/45) and practice with that for awhile. 

Actually----I wrote a blog post about this awhile back, in terms of "learning how to shoot".  For the most part, while some instructors will let you borrow a pistol for a class, I don't really know of any that would let you do it several times a week without it costing you something pretty significant.  (That's a lot of one-on-one private lesson time.)

Here are my thoughts about it:  http://precisionresponse.wordpress.com/2014/02/04/how-do-you-learn-to-shoot-part-i/

I'll note that if you want to set up private lessons, I can take you to the range 2 times a week and you can use my guns and equipment as long as you bring the ammo----but that sort of thing won't be cheap.  (And anyone who says they'll do it for you cheaply either doesn't think much of their teaching, or doesn't really plan on teaching you.)  If you've got the money and want a fairly steep learning curve due to that much private instruction, we can certainly do that---you will get a lot better very quickly.  Drop me a PM if you are interested.

This is me, for your information:  http://precisionresponse.4t.com

....but if you are like most people, and don't have that much free time or money, then start by buying a .22 and practicing with it.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com