< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CHP Instructors: Resident Aliens and NSP Forms  (Read 1753 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
CHP Instructors: Resident Aliens and NSP Forms
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:23:59 AM »
Question Here for CHP Instructors:

In October 2013 the NE Supreme Court ruled that Permanent Resident Aliens are eligible to receive CHPs after appropriate training.

Nevertheless, the application forms on the NE State Patrol website still read as follows:
=========================================
Proof of citizenship
Applicants are required to be citizens of the United States.
  Proof of citizenship can be a state certified birth certificate showing birth in the United States, a copy of naturalization papers, a Certificate of Citizenship issued by the United States Immigration authorities, or a signed current or expired United States passport.

=========================================
Other references in the NSP official forms and regulation documents still indicate that US citizenship is required; the NSP website has not yet been updated.

Has anyone had a qualifying resident alien in his class?   (I've got one coming up.)  If so, what did you tell them about how to process the paperwork?

I haven't contacted Sgt. Loveless about this item yet.   Wanted to get any Forum feedback first.

sfg
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:26:53 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: CHP Instructors: Resident Aliens and NSP Forms
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:37:05 AM »
I have been told that NSP has changed the requirements for proof of citizenship to include "or green card".   It appears that they are very slow at updating the NSP web site as several items of information are out of date.

I was also contacted several weeks ago by a gentleman whose wife falls into this category and was concerned about the application process.  We exchanged several emails and I'm waiting to hear back once she receives her permit.  I wanted to follow the progress of her application to hear how it went.

If anyone hears of a story where this is not being handled properly, please let me know so we can get it resolved.   

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »
I just followed up with the gentleman referenced above.  His wife did apply for her permit at the Omaha location.  Says they confirmed she was not a US citizen, she provided her green card, paid, did photo and prints, and now just waiting.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
"I told you they were among us."  - Fox Mulder

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 12:09:42 PM »
Here's What I Have From an NSP Attorney:

============================================================
"....last October a Nebraska Court ruling allowed for any Legal Permanent Resident to be eligible for a CCW/CHP permit.  In speaking with our analysts that handle and process these requests, the applicant would  have to prove that they are a legal resident alien by showing us what was formerly called a green card, but is now legal permanent resident card.

Thank you for your interest in the Nebraska State Patrol and I hope this information was helpful
."

It seems to indicate that a "Green Card" or similar documentation of legal resident alien status will suffice in place of the birth certificate, passport, and other documentation normally used to prove US citizenship.

But.....It doesn't get at my original issue of the lag in updating all of the NSP official information posted on the NSP website.   And how the actual application process really plays out following the SCONE decision.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »
[
It doesn't get at my original issue of the lag in updating all of the NSP official information posted on the NSP website. 

Updates to the NSP website ???  Surely you jest.....

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »
Updates to the NSP website ???  Surely you jest.....

Well, I've always been kind of a Closet Idealist.......

sfg

Offline DCPrecisionLLC

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »
Just updating this thread for anyone interested. As of today I still haven't seen the forms from NSP updated. I just had a qualifying student in one my classes that was concerned about how the process will work for him. I am hoping that the new guy in charge of the CCW program can provide some sort of memorandum stating clearly what is required now. Does anyone have anything like that already that they would be willing to share? I know it would have helped ease my student's mind a little bit to have something like that.
DCPrecisionLLC
www.dcprecisionllc.com
DCPrecisionllc@gmail.com
(512) 492-5379

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »
Since my earlier postings here I've had 3-4 resident aliens in my classes. The paperwork issue was explained to them.  I told them to go ahead and provide the standard required documents to the NSP and add their resident alien documentation as well.

So far, none of these applicants has called me back in distress.  (None has called saying, "Yahoo", either.)

My guess is that they've all gone through the NSP/CID system.

sfg

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 06:26:31 PM »
There was a gal on a Facebook page Nebraska Carry of Omaha Gun tech or something or rather, that had the same concerns, we informed her, yadda yadda, and she went thru the process just fine. She contacted me after and said it was painless.
I thought I had heard thru somebody (sorry just woke up, brain still groggy) that the forms HAD been updated. ??
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RLMoeller

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 06:59:48 PM »
There was a gal on a Facebook page Nebraska Carry of Omaha Gun tech or something or rather, that had the same concerns, we informed her, yadda yadda, and she went thru the process just fine. She contacted me after and said it was painless.
I thought I had heard thru somebody (sorry just woke up, brain still groggy) that the forms HAD been updated. ??

Yes.  It has been updated.  Current published form is dated 03/14  and asks if citizen or lawful permanent resident

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 08:24:29 PM »
Here's What I Have From an NSP Attorney:

"....last October a Nebraska Court ruling allowed for any Legal Permanent Resident to be eligible for a CCW/CHP permit.  In speaking with our analysts that handle and process these requests, the applicant would  have to prove that they are a legal resident alien by showing us what was formerly called a green card, but is now legal permanent resident card.

Thank you for your interest in the Nebraska State Patrol and I hope this information was helpful
."

It seems to indicate that a "Green Card" or similar documentation of legal resident alien status will suffice in place of the birth certificate, passport, and other documentation normally used to prove US citizenship.

Technically it's a "Form I-551", permanent resident card. Second one down on this list (list of documents required when one gets a job and fills out the Form I-9).  http://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents/list-documents

Here's are some sample images. https://e-verify.uscis.gov/esp/help/EvHelpPermResCardNumber.htm

Since my earlier postings here I've had 3-4 resident aliens in my classes. The paperwork issue was explained to them.  I told them to go ahead and provide the standard required documents to the NSP and add their resident alien documentation as well.

So far, none of these applicants has called me back in distress.  (None has called saying, "Yahoo", either.)

My guess is that they've all gone through the NSP/CID system.

I wonder if NSP is also running them through SAVE (http://www.uscis.gov/save) to validate whether the I-551 is valid and they truly are lawfully present. That would be smart, but would only add a few minutes onto the process.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline AJ_Engineer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 01:03:21 PM »

I wonder if NSP is also running them through SAVE (http://www.uscis.gov/save) to validate whether the I-551 is valid and they truly are lawfully present. That would be smart, but would only add a few minutes onto the process.

That SAVE system is rather annoying. Two times in a row renewing her drivers license my wife (Canadian) has had the DMV reject her application because the SAVE system didn't have her married name. She had a one day window to renew her drivers license due to Nebraska/USCIS and then had to wait another week for it while they updated their system only to find out that it was incompetence in both the USCIS and DMV because her maiden name was fine.....

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 05:34:30 PM »
That SAVE system is rather annoying. Two times in a row renewing her drivers license my wife (Canadian) has had the DMV reject her application because the SAVE system didn't have her married name. She had a one day window to renew her drivers license due to Nebraska/USCIS and then had to wait another week for it while they updated their system only to find out that it was incompetence in both the USCIS and DMV because her maiden name was fine.....

Well, having unauthorized aliens get public benefits and jobs is also a bit "annoying", so let's hope the Republicans get their way in 2015 and finally expand (mandate) electronic verification of aliens.  The technology has been there waiting for political action for a decade.  If the U.S. wanted to we could even go so far as the 99.9999999% certainty of ten-print finger-scans for foreigners living in our country (we've been collecting digital finger-scans of all legal visitors since ~2004), but we need Congress to have the cojones to pass a bill.  The SAVE system really isn't a system in and of itself, but just a conglomeration of other agency systems so if someone hasn't proactively updated her maiden name with SSA and all other state and federal source agencies, then yes a problem will ensue. 
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK