< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska residents with Iowa CCW permit?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Mikki

• NFOA Full Member
Nebraska residents with Iowa CCW permit?
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:45:03 PM »
I live close to the border between Nebraska and Iowa.  I have a  Nebraska CCW permit, as well as permits in 33 other states.  Iowa is not very open to issuing non-residents permits.   It seems I just get the run around from the sheriff's office, who sends me to the Commissioner in the Iowa Dept. of Human Safety Office in Des Moines, who tells me I have to have a recent weapons training class, which I have to get from the sheriff's office, who won't allow me the training until I get a CCW permit.   WHAT THE HECK !

Has any other Nebraska resident tried to get an Iowa CCW permit and been successful or if not, are you getting the same run around as I am?   

Thanks for the input.  I appreciate any assistance on this you can give me.

Mikki

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Nebraska residents with Iowa CCW permit?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »
Goto Iowa's dept. of public safety website, weapons permit, you can email them for the application forms.  It is not up to the whim of the local sherrif's office you can take the class anywhere that offers it not just the closest, you must shoot qualify, and re-shoot qualify every year after that.  They will make you pick up your first permit at the Wallace office building in DesMoines.  Non residents can only get a professional carry permit, so you have to come up with a valid work related reason to do it.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 10:25:41 PM »
Holy crap! You have 34 permits? How much has all that cost you?

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 10:30:54 PM »
I have an Iowa non resident Professional Permit...... As stated before you have to have a reason for your job to get one of these. If you want an Iowa non resident regular permit, you will have to show justification as to why you need to carry in Iowa (such as a threat on your life in the state)

Between the NE/IA/FL/UT permits I have coverage in around 34-35 states. Seems to change monthly!

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 06:19:20 AM »
The non-resident Professional Permit. How long is that one good for? And can you carry concealed, open or both with that?

Do you think being a security officer in Nebraska would be sufficient reason to get a non-res prof. permit?

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »
The non-resident Professional Permit. How long is that one good for? And can you carry concealed, open or both with that?

Do you think being a security officer in Nebraska would be sufficient reason to get a non-res prof. permit?

$10 for a 1 year permit.

Not sure about open carry.

If your security job takes you into Iowa... Then you may qualify. Of course the Professional permit is only good when you are working.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:36:43 AM by Chris Z »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 07:22:19 AM »
Iowa's permit does not specifiy open or concealed carry i.e. open carry is not illegal with a permit.  They issue a "handgun carry permit".  However, should you open carry you will likely be asked some questions from the "boys in blue".  This was confirmed to me while attending Mas Ayoob's course in Waterloo last Spring.  Several cops in attendance verified having come across individuals open carrying in Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, etc.  However, no laws were broken as the individuals had carry permits.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 12:20:57 AM »
Contact the dept. of public safety, they will know what job qualifies, as stated it is only valid when you are doing said job in Iowa, so if your security stuff does not go in Iowa I would doubt it.

You can move to Council Dumps, get an Iowa resident permit, and now it is accepted in Nebraska, problem  solved except you will have to get a gay marriage partner.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 07:37:33 AM »
You can move to Council Dumps, get an Iowa resident permit, and now it is accepted in Nebraska, problem  solved except you will have to get a gay marriage partner.

LOL!!!